Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Long battery cord

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 11:51 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long battery cord

To get a good balance for my Avistar, I need to shift the battery way back to a spot near the tail. I estimate that I need to use a 24-inch extension wire to hook up the batt to the receiver. Will this cause any concern with voltage drop and subsequently reduce my air time ? Anybody has tried pushing the battery way back for balancing purpose ? Thx for the inputs..............
Old 07-31-2002, 12:23 PM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be ok, but...if you use an extension, tape the connection that's in the back, nearest the battery, so it doesn't come undone. if you're comfortable with soldering, you can put in your extension that way, just be sure to use some good wire. i prefer 20 gauge wire for all my soldered extensions.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:50 PM
rajul

Thanks RUS, have you pushed your batt that far behind in any of your planes so far ?
Old 07-31-2002, 01:30 PM
ReallyUglyStick
My Feedback: (5)

not my battery, but i've got several servos 18-24" out in wings with no amplifiers added in, just the 20 gauge wire. i've seen guys with giant scale planes running 30-40" extensions with no problems. the thing to remember is not to use wire that's too small. i think the wire on standard extensions is 24gauge. it's ok, but i prefer thicker wire.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:05 PM
GoMike

Yo rajul,

I had to relocate my Rx battery to the back of my recently-built Goldberg TigerII to counter the front-end weight of an OS FS 70. I cut about 6" off a 24" Airtronix servo extension and plugged it into the battery lead on one end and the switch lead on the other. I've got about 20 fluights on it and haven't had any problems.

GoMike
Old 07-31-2002, 03:11 PM
rajul

Hi Mike, what was the wire gauge you used, 20 or 24 ? How did you secure the batt in the fuselage ? I suppose your battery is the flat-shaped type. I am thinking about using velcro so that I can retrieve the battery if needed. Hope that you can share, with a photo if possible ................
Old 07-31-2002, 03:49 PM
GoMike

Rajul,

I don't know the wire gauge - maybe somebody else can tell us what gauge the standard Airtronix extension gauges are. I just cut & soldered it to the exact length I needed. I used a 2/3A(?) battery pack I got from RadicalRC - the cells are shorter and a bit fatter than AA's, and the pack is about 1/2 oz lighter. It's a flat pack. I fabricated a system to sorta "jam" it between the top and bottom of the fuse (no turtle deck). I padded the pack well and glued vertical ply stops (padded) in front of and behind the battery to assure it wouldn't move. Sorry, no pics. You'll probably have to come up with your own mounting system anyway, since your plane is different. Good luck.

Mike
Old 07-31-2002, 10:10 PM
rajul

Hi Mike, since you've glued the ply stoppers front and back, can you remove the batt if you need to change it for any reason ?.............
Old 08-01-2002, 01:11 PM
GoMike

Rajul,

The only way I can replace the battery is to cut the MonoKote away from a hole in the back of the fuselage and break away part of the bracket that holds the battery between the fuse top and bottom. It's not removable via hatch or any other means. It's more or less a permanent mount, but I don't mind doing a bit of surgery every two years or so to replace it. It's the strongest, lightest, and simplest way of mounting the battery I could come up with.

Mike