Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

problem with servos

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 09:16 AM
rccub
My Feedback: (184)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with servos

i have a six channel futaba transmitter. i installed hitec 635hb servos in a plane. i am using a six volt battery for the receiver. when i turn on the power, the servo hooked to the rudder slammed all the way to one side up against the elevator. it would not go back in the other direction. i turned everything off. when i checked that servo, it was very hot to the touch, and would not operate in either direction. am i doing something wrong, or did i get a bad servo. thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: problem with servos

I recommend that when you connect a servo up to always have it disconnected from the control surfaces. Now to your question. If you had the servo output shaft all the way one way and connected it to the control then the servo tried to go to neutral and could not, then I would say it will not burn up right away. If you left it that way and the force was more than the rated 83oz then yes, you could have burned the amp in the servo. First make sure that you didn't damage the gears. Can you move it by hand, If not, then the gears may be damaged keeping the servo from working.
ORIGINAL: rccub

i have a six channel futaba transmitter. i installed hitec 635hb servos in a plane. i am using a six volt battery for the receiver. when i turn on the power, the servo hooked to the rudder slammed all the way to one side up against the elevator. it would not go back in the other direction. i turned everything off. when i checked that servo, it was very hot to the touch, and would not operate in either direction. am i doing something wrong, or did i get a bad servo. thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:34 PM
rccub

i had left the control arms off of the servos. i first turned on the transmitter and centered the servos. i then hooked up the control arms and turned on the transmitter. i did this again today, with the same result. i left the rudder disconnected, and tried the elevator, with the same result. the elevator went to an extreme down position,and started fluttering. i turned everything off right away. the servos from yesterday that got hot evidently is shot. i cant turn it by hand. i am really stumped by this. any other sugggestions will really be appreciated. thanks.
Old 09-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Lynx

Sounds like you have a bad over voltage problem. Try to see if the problem occurs with a 4.8 volt pack. Do NOT mess around too much trying to figure out what the problem is by plugging it in and seeing if you can do anything, your servos are stalling at complete dead stops on a 6 volt pack, that will burn a motor out FAST, you already killed one. Did this happen immediatly after you finished charging the receiver pack? A fresh off the charger 6volt pack can be over 7 volts especially off a quick charger, and they can source immense currents (damaging both battery and equipment) during that over charge state. Try bleeding off some of the energy in the battery (Find something that uses 6 volts (Any four cell electronics device like a small portable radio that runs off AA's)) and wire it up with some spare wire to the battery and run it for a little while to drain off that surface charge, use your best guess and try to drain the battery about 1/8th of the way.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:49 PM
rccub

thank you very much. you hit it right on the head. i took the six volt battery right from the charger to the airplane. i tried it with a 4.8 volt and it worked fine. i guess i will have to watch every time i charge the six volt so this doesnt happen again. thanks again, i would have never thought of the battery having too much voltage.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:08 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

what charger are you using? I would test the charger's output voltage. It could be over charging, And how long was the battery on the charger if it was a wallwart?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:21 PM
rccub

i have a new charger called a brain 969. i just got it so maybe i need to read more of the instructions. really all i did was fast charge a new six volt battery. thanks again.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:15 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

If you want to use a 5 cell pack (6 volt) its probably best to consider using a voltage regulator as well. That way you dont have to worry about the high voltage coming off the charger, its easier on the servos and will give you constant voltage. Jaccio makes a good one which is set at 5.1 volts and is avaible from Central Hobbies.
Good Luck,
Al
Old 09-06-2004, 11:03 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

If that was the first charge on the battery, there is your problem. You shoud do the first charge on a battery with a standard charger. This is called a formation charge. after the battery is discharged you can use the peak charger. peak detiction chargers have a problem with new batterys.