Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter Output Wattage

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 08:34 PM
Glen Wearden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmitter Output Wattage

I just became the wearer of an ICD (Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator), and need to know the output wattage of my transmitter. This is necessary for when I ask the Medtronic tech people about the safety of flying RC. I have a Futaba 6 Channel set, and nowhere in the manual can I find the output wattage. Does anyone know the answer for most common transmitters? I would assume it to be well below a watt, because cell phones are about one watt, and reach towers sometimes miles away. Would appreciate any info on this.
GlenWearden
Old 11-27-2004, 01:14 AM
smitymax

Default RE: Transmitter Output Wattage

The maximum allowable output power is 750 milliwatts (3/4 watt). Most RC transmitters put out some what less than this probably in the range 0.5 to 0.75 watts. One exception is if your operating with an amateur radio license in the 50 mHz (6 meter) band you are allowed 1 watt RC transmitter output using the designated RC frequencies.

You should not have any problem with your implant as they should be well filtered and shielded from any external RF interference.

Good luck....
Old 11-27-2004, 01:15 AM
okw

Glen,

I have heard that they are 1 watt. However, I'd recommend getting a more definitive answer since your case is a little too critical to rely on secondhand information. Check with [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/techsupport/index.html]Futaba Tech Support[/link] to be absolutely certain ... 217-398-8970.

Keith
Old 11-27-2004, 10:08 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transmitters are seldom rated in terms of output power, because of the difficulty of measuring same, and the variables involved. They are rated in terms of input power to the final output device, and an efficiency of some percentage is assumed.

If it were me, I would go to several manufacturers, and pose the question. You get some good technical information and some bad. I would also try the FCC and the AMA.

Les WA6EER
Old 11-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have to check again to be sure but I'm reasonably confident that the allowable input power to the final stage is limited to 3/4 watt. This means that the output power is a max of 75 to 50 % of that due to the efficiency of the output stage. Ham's (6 meter) are allowed and input power to the output stage of 1 watt, again radiated power will be well under .75 watts.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:55 PM
Glen Wearden

Thanks for all the info. This will give me something to tell the "android techies" when I call Monday.
Glen
Old 11-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Lynx

If it's over 3/4's of a watt it's illegal, that's the FCC limit for transmitting on the non-licensed RC channels.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Geoff Sleath

I'm not sure, but I think the figures quoted are about right (certainly for the UK, the US may be different). However, if there's likely to be a problem, I'd be more worried about mobile phones than RC transmitters. They can output quite High RF levels - can't put numbers to it though. I'm sure your ICD will be shielded, but it's worth asking the questions, it's pretty important, as I'm sure you'll be the first to agree.

Geoff
Old 11-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The 9C has 500mw of output power.
I don't know about the 6X or 6E.
The max allowed in the USA is 750mw
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

Two years and never had a problem with mine. Just don't get next to a running engine with a CD type ign source such as a running car engine or a large ign type airplane engine, what hurts is getting "hit" by the spark. Only time mine ever "got nasty" with me was when I touched a open plug wire on a late model car took me four days to get to feel like my oldself. I own a garage and my guys know not to let me get "bit" by it anymore, I still work on cars for a living just be very carefull around secondary ignition. . Also large magnets are a no no as well as a microwave (though I use one all the time). MRI's are now out for you.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

You bring up a good point about pacemakers.
Do you cycle your pack?
Old 11-30-2004, 06:37 PM
wisdom-seeker

You bring up a good point about pacemakers.
Do you cycle your pack?
...and he disconnects the battery for how long to do this?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Glen Wearden

Thanks again for all your input. The "techies" told me that all I had to do is keep the TX at least 6" away from the device, and keep the antenna pointed away from me. This seems to be the normal position one holds the TX anyway, so there shouldn't be a problem. I don't work on my own vehicles anymore, so the spark thing shouldn't be a problem. I haven't been given the green light to drive, yet, so if the weather is OK, my wife will drive me out to the field Saturday so I can watch, and lend "expert" advice to my friends out there. I imagine it has been tough for them out there without my presence.
Glen
Old 12-01-2004, 02:57 PM
smokingcrater

The "techies" told me that all I had to do is keep the TX at least 6" away from the device, and keep the antenna pointed away from me.
antennas radiate the LEAST amount of energy out the ends, so that is the safest spot to be. Just hold the antenna parallel to the ground, most of your body will be in the low power areas.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:51 PM
Lynx

I hope you have many more years of flying time left to give your advice =)