Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR radio Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 11:34 AM
abacro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR radio Poll

How many of you pilots out there using JR Radio's know that they are the ONLY radio in the hobby that has 2,count them 2, small glass,1.5 amp fuses between the tx battery pack and circut board? And do you know what happens when only 1 of the 2 fuses blow while you planes in the air?

Good luck landing!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:15 PM
olivier

Default RE: JR radio Poll

Hi,

And do you know what happens when only 1 of the 2 fuses blow while you planes in the air?
You lose your plane, but your transmitter is still working after renewing the fuse. Without the fuse, the smoke from your transmitter could reduce visibility to see where your plane is going to crash...

No, seriously, I suppose that some technical engineers had good reasons to fit some fuses (for the other type of charging-cable (negative in centre, positive on the shield vs. other brands?).
Olivier
Old 12-03-2004, 03:40 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

If you really draw more than 1.5 amps through your transmitter battery, odds are you are about to crash anyway, whether or not the ckt. is fuse protected or not. You can "ask Danny" what the nominal current flow is from the battery, but I bet even 1/2 amp is a high estimate. Draw much more current than "normal" for even a short period of time and you probably will cook some ckt. board anyway that would also result in a loss of control.

Are you afraid these fuses will blow while you are in the air? I've replace about a dozen fuses on (4) different JR transmitters over the last (3) years. Every one has failed when plugging a charger into the transmitter, both "wall wart" and "smart" chargers. None have ever failed when the transmitter was on, or even switched on.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: stuk_at_work

If you really draw more than 1.5 amps through your transmitter battery, odds are you are about to crash anyway, whether or not the ckt. is fuse protected or not. You can "ask Danny" what the nominal current flow is from the battery, but I bet even 1/2 amp is a high estimate. Draw much more current than "normal" for even a short period of time and you probably will cook some ckt. board anyway that would also result in a loss of control.
My contacts at JR told me that 250 mA is about average for the TX.

Are you afraid these fuses will blow while you are in the air? I've replace about a dozen fuses on (4) different JR transmitters over the last (3) years. Every one has failed when plugging a charger into the transmitter, both "wall wart" and "smart" chargers. None have ever failed when the transmitter was on, or even switched on.
Here's a trick. Turn your transmitter on, then plug in the charger, then turn the TX off. You will never blow a fuse this way. When the TX is on the charge circuit is dead. You cannot cause a short when inserting the charge jack when the circuit is dead. Works like a charm.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:01 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

Here's a trick. Turn your transmitter on, then plug in the charger, then turn the TX off. You will never blow a fuse this way. When the TX is on the charge circuit is dead. You cannot cause a short when inserting the charge jack when the circuit is dead. Works like a charm.
And to think of all the time I've wasted swinging a dead chicken around in the air!

Seriously, it sounds logical, and I will start using this procedure and see if it makes a difference.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Abacro, I have three JR transmitters, and all have a single 3 amp fuse between the battery and circuit board. Curious that you have 2 - 1.5 amp fuses in yours. Which model transmitter is it?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Mac_Man_UK

I cant think of a single JR transmitter that has 2 fuses.

[8D]
Old 12-07-2005, 08:20 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Usually, it is a short form a worn, broken, or cracked insulating ring around the charge pin connector that causes problems for the fuse.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:33 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only see 1 (one) fuse in my JR X347. It has never blown yet. I should get a extra....what size is it? Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-16-2005, 11:53 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had many radios from Kraft,Proline,Ace,Futaba,Airtronics,and JR. I only fly JR now and it was a hard thing to give up my ACE Micropro8000 but it was time. We added a 1 amp fuse on the ace radios to protect the input inductors during use and batteries during charging on the power circuit. Airtronics has a diode on the charge circuit to protect the battery if the wrong polarity is applied during charging. I don't know what Futaba uses but I will never use one again.