Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old cirrus servos

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:58 PM
gwolbrink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old cirrus servos

I have some old servos that I don't know any thing about. They are Cirrus indirect dirve ic servo CS-29R, Cirrus IC MS-ICR, Aero Sport IC MS-ICL (Looks just like the Cirrus servo). It looks like they have Dean's plugs on them. My first question is are they compatible with modern equipment? If so, what is the wiring diagram to wire it up for futaba. If anyone has any info on these servos, please let me know.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:31 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Old cirrus servos

If they have four conductors on the leads then they are not compatable with any modern system. If three leads then they can work but centering and direction may be different. Futaba "J" plug as well as all the four majors now use a centerpin positive on the servo plugs.

John
Old 12-13-2004, 10:59 PM
gwolbrink

Thanks John,
They are 3 pin style. Anyone out there with a wiring diagram to convert to Futaba?
Old 12-14-2004, 09:17 AM
JohnBuckner

Its easy to splice on a Futaba 'J' plug but first what are the color or markings on the wire and is it flat ribbon wire?

The Positive will go to the centerpin of the 'J' plug
The signal will go to the side next to the plugs single spline
The negative will go on the opposite side.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:20 AM
JohnBuckner

DP
Old 12-14-2004, 03:41 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm still using a few of the ancient futaba made coreless cirrus servos, CS-28 i believe. the wires are a red, white and black twisted trio. red wire goes to the middle and they should work with all modern receivers except the black (non-Z) airtronics when wired this way.

dave
Old 12-14-2004, 04:31 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Man you guys are brave.. that stuff wasn't very good even new.... with a decent standard servo costing $12 today why would one even bother with that old junk??

I just bought 10 new Hitech 425BB servos for $90... that's $9 each..!

I guess I can understand if you are in countries (other than USA or Asia) where r/c stuff is twice as much or hard to get..

DP
Old 12-14-2004, 06:03 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: desertpig
Man you guys are brave.. that stuff wasn't very good even new.... with a decent standard servo costing $12 today why would one even bother with that old junk??
I just bought 10 new Hitech 425BB servos for $90... that's $9 each..!
DP

Heck actually I don,t think either Zagnut or myself are advocating the serious use of old junk servos but rather just providing an accurate answer to a serious question. Now to answer your question, I am not sure what your purchase of 10 servos has to do with it. My servo count on modern current servos hovers around 150 (over 40 for my pylon craft alone). I still have a much larger count dating back to 1957 and frequently find use for many such as the airplane I just flew this morning. It is a tailess with a stabilizer that is droppable in flight with a servo release from a servo sticking out the belly. There are a host of other such applications where an "Old Servo Stash" is indeed valuable. Heck I am still using an old escapement of mine with a wideband tone radio (legally on 27 MHz).

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43863.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	202920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93412.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	202921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23262.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	202922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73549.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	202923  
Old 12-15-2004, 01:21 AM
gwolbrink

They are as ZAGNUT says (3 twisted wires). I appreciate all of your help with the wiring info. It is nice to get some use out of these old servos. I plan on using one for a bomb bay door release. It is always fun fiddle around with some of the old stuff. Part of me just gets enjoyment out of making good use out of the old stuff. I don't plan on using these on critical controls so what the heck, I just saved a few bucks if I get them working.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:24 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Hey John,

That's a lot of servos!!!

I understand you use too... I think the application you are using them for is fine.... I just see some of these guys put these older servos in expensive large scale planes to save a few $$...

DP