Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

No Warranty on HiTec Servo Gears!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 04:23 PM
flyrc2
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Warranty on HiTec Servo Gears!

Just got off the phone with Tony, THE manager at HiTec. I had one of their 90 oz torque servos in my U-Can-Do 3D .46. The rudder servo stripped in the air! Tony absolutely refused to send another servo, oh, yes, would repair the servo for a fee, plus I would have to pay shipping both ways! The cost would total about $21 for a $25 servo!! Tony pointed out, and I saw is with my own eyes, that in the fine print of the warranty, there is NO WARRANTY on gears! Buyer Beware! You strip it in the air, even if it is the right servo in the right plane, doing the right job, your problem!! I have used HiTec servos for over 10 years now, and I have never had this problem, but I did not get a warm fuzzy feeling talking to HiTec when their response is, not our problem!! I was hoping that the company behind the product would be more supportive and helpful in this situation.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:29 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: No Warranty on HiTec Servo Gears!

please read this not fine print

TOPICS OF DISCUSSION:
While these discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message. Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another. RC Universe.com is a forum focused on r/c and as such the topics will remain r/c related. No political, social, religious, or other similar off topic discussion will be allowed.

SPAMMING:
Spamming, in which a user posts the same message repeatedly in one or multiple forums, is prohibited. Spamming will also be defined as posting advertisements in the general discussion forums for products for sale in the swap shop.

your a 100% spammer and hijacker i didn't mean to be mean but after you PMed me dude please quit it you jacked the yak, funtana, u can do thread and a servo don't do 3d either. your making my brain hurt.

hitec didn't screw you if its in the manual its your fault
Old 12-28-2004, 06:31 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I read this post then clicked out, but i have to come back. What do you mean NO warranty. They said they would fix it and all you had to do was send it to them. That's a warranty in anybodies book. Why would they send you a new servo when they can put a $6 set of gears in. On second thought why would you ***** when you can get the gears and do it oyur self. Some people???? Dennis
Old 12-28-2004, 09:16 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have know Tony at HiTec for many years. He is one great guy with a great background in RC electronics! There is no way of quantifying what kind of loads a servo will see in the air. I can see why they do not cover gears. It is so simple to change a set of gears in a servo...just do it yourself.

Pete
Old 12-28-2004, 09:59 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am totally behind Tony. I've dealt with him and he was very fair. In fact he was more than fair. There's no way he'd shaft anyone. Tony's got a good rep.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flutter can strip any make of servo gears in the air.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I just sent 8 servos into hitec to have the gears replaced.
They replaced them and returned my servos.
If you a warranty on gears, get metal ones.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:56 AM
bbmass
My Feedback: (2)

Servos gears break because of user error, I wouldn't warranty them either
Old 12-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Luke 3D returns

Not so.

servo gears break from putting them in the wrong plane/linkage, or having a crash or flutter. In this case the customer is at fault.

However

They can also fail due to defective gear material. They may work ok when not under load (when you twiddle the sticks on the ground) but will not be up to the job in the air - hence the strip.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:30 PM
FOD MAN

If i drive my new mustang to fast and hit a big pothole and my wheel falls off is ford going to fix it, of course not. flutter is kind of like a big pothole,sometimes you dont even see it or it is too late to avoid when you do see it.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Free Fall

I'm new, so, I am asking the questions out of ignorance. Servo gears, which are mass manufactured out of plastic, nylon, or polymer, can not fail when used properly?

If this is true does this apply to all brands or just Hitec?

Once again, I am asking out of ignorance.

FF
Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

I have never stripped a set of gears in 30 years of flying. Now, crashing has done the job for me but, I have never ruined a set of gears in normal flying. I have never experienced flutter however. I believe flutter will take a set of gears out right now but I have been lucky.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any servo gear, metal or plastic, can be broken under some circumstances; flutter and impact load being two of the possibilities.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:06 PM
adr_ian64

lol, must take one heck of a crash to strip metal gears. I have a hitec metal gear servo in my 1/10 scale nitro car and i hit a curb doing aprox. 50mph. my hole front end was trashed but no gears have been striped. I still dont think you can strip a metal gear servo. any pictures of striped metal gears are welcome
Old 01-05-2005, 08:56 PM
XJet
Banned

Actually it's surprisingly easy to strip some metal geared servos because the (at least Hitec's) first gear (driven by the motor pinion) is still made of plastic.

If the geartrain is poorly designed (like the HS225MG) then this gear will strip very easily. Sure the metal gears will be fine but the servo will still stop working because the motor can no longer drive the output shaft.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:36 PM
FOD MAN

This is out of one of my large scale servo's[:-][sm=cool.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53314.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	211153  
Old 01-06-2005, 08:03 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: bbmass
Servos gears break because of user error, I wouldn't warranty them either
That's not true. If it is a Hitec servo they break themselves. I have had a 225 shred its gears when the servo was just being tested on the bench and the output arm not connected to anything.

H
Old 01-07-2005, 03:41 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i watched a guy crash a 40% extra- all the JR, metal gear, digital servos were stripped. dont know if he replaced the gears or threw them a way. me personally- i couldn't see how anyone could warranty the gears- there would always be someone trying to scam them because of crash damage, misuse, etc.