Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Using receivers after a crash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using receivers after a crash?

Well I had a pretty bad crash on my 33% cap and now I'm in the middle of putting an extra together. The crash was pretty bad. I went straight in from about 150ft. One of my pcm receivers works fine and on the other the crystal seams to have been destroyed. I put a new crystal in it and it works fine but the receiver case came apart. The case went back together fine. As it stands, I had to buy an ignition for my DA and will probably have to buy pipes for it as well. I also have to buy new batteries and switches. It was a very expensive crash.

I looked at sending them in for an inspection but it seems a little pricey for futaba to look at them. If that is what I have to do then I will but I'm hoping someone with electronics experience can chime in and give me some advice. I in the past have used receivers after a crash but I was flying 40 size planes and did not have soo much invested in them. Thanks

Bruce
Old 12-28-2004, 09:18 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Using receivers after a crash?

Compare the cost of sending the receiver in to the price of the plane its going into.......

I had a crashed a receiver that checked out OK on the bench, I was doing the run ups on the new plane when the receiver failed. 10 Minutes before the maiden flight.

Dont forget Radio South is an alturnitive to Futaba.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:30 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

I never figured was necessary if it checked out OK.My Ultimate 300 went in but not to bad nut no explanation Repaired and went up again this time it was straight in nothing left.Sent in had two bad filters and corroded connecters internally.Futaba said could have been in crash or easily have caused it would gladly have spent the $40 dollars to have my plane back.After a crash put another receiver that checked OK in my Top FLight AT-6,no control straight in again nothing!Sent rec in they found a bad connection on the antenna could have easily caused the crash!Again complain about the $30 for check and repair but small price for the plane!Actually good to consider if better to spend the money for a new receiver!!Not that much more for a new one then hopefully should be good!!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Turbobruce

I will be sending them in this week.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:53 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Get a new receiver. Even after it has been repaired and checked out by the service center I wouldn't trust it until I had used it for several hours. You could put it in an old airplane and fly it around for a few hours but the better solution is just to get a new one where the parts have not been jolted.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:36 PM
Turbobruce

Well I got my receivers back from Tony at radiosouth and it turns out that one of them are not worth repairing. Tony said that the oard are bent and that I should not use it anymore. Well, it looks like I will be using only one receiver for my Extra 330s. Thanks for the info guys. It may have saved my plane.