Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Eclipse 7
40.91%
Optic 6
59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Hitec Optic 6 vs. Eclipse 7

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Billyray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Optic 6 vs. Eclipse 7

I’ve been reading allot of threads on both radios and I’m finding allot of back and forth issues on certain bugs associated with the Optic 6, but nothing with the eclipse 7. Both Radios have the ability to utilize the Spectra Module and have +/- shift change. My main use will be for my growing fleet of Electric Hellis and some park flyers. I’ve used both JR and Futaba and have had little trouble with either. My main concern is the cost of new radios and receivers. I’m looking to buy just 1 Transmitter to use for all my electrics. And between the two Hitec radios there really isn’t much of a difference is capabilities from what I’ve seen. I would like to just ask a few questions and get an idea of the different problems and fixes people have experienced.

1. Is there an appreciable difference between the two radios as to using CCPM functions for electric hellis?
2. What bugs have been reported in the software between the two radios?
3. How user friendly are the positions of the switches?
4. Is the extra channel worth the price?
5. Which Radio would you buy?
Old 02-04-2005, 12:23 PM
klied
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Hitec Optic 6 vs. Eclipse 7

I have the 7, and my buddy has the 6. We both fly electrics and gas. Mine has more mixes, extra channel, it has the ability to hold one of those 8 pack AA holders in the battery area so I can run 2500MAH, and only charge once a month, after flying 2 days per week. The six has a cool blue power on light that I wish I had, lol.
I also wish my engine cut button was in a different spot, like the 6. The six is lighter. I like my screen on top, it makes the timer easy to read, while the 6 has the screen below your thumbs.
You can get the 7 for 189 with spectra and without servos, or you can get the 6 with servos and no spectra for 189. Easy choice.

Kyle
Old 02-04-2005, 01:43 PM
XJet
Banned

Although the E7 has more channels and mixes, the O6 wins hands-down for me because the O6 has *vastly* superior ergonomics:

1. The two proportional knobs on the E7 can't be operated without taking at least one hand off the sticks. A dangerous proposition if you're looking to tweak the flaps on final approach when it's a bit turbulent.

By comparison, the O6 has two neat little sliders that can be operated by your index fingers while you continue to fly with your thumbs. *MUCH* nicer and safer.

2. The engine kill-button on the E7 also requires you to take your fingers off the right-hand stick to operate it and it's part of a cluster of other buttons. The number of times I've reset my counter instead of killing the engine increases almost every weekend :-(

By comparison, the O6's engine kill button is well away from the other programming buttons and can be operated with your right index finger while continuing to fly with your thumbs.

3. The E7 doesn't automaticaly display some important information on its LCD, things such as model name, percentage of trim, etc require you to press a button on the transmitter. It's much easier to go flying with the wrong model memory selected using the E7.

By comparison the O6 automatically displays the model name when first turned on and the percentage of trim being set whenever a trim lever is moved.

And then there's the way that the E7 does its flaperon (seperate aileron servos) mix. Unfortunately you can't set the E7 up to use this mix such that channels 1 and 5 are used, it only works with channels 1 and 6. This means that if you've got a 5-channel receiver like the Hitec 555 or FMA-M5 you're stuffed. As far as the E7 is concerned, channel 5 is dedicated to use as a retract channel -- what a waste!

By comparison, the O6 uses channels 1 and 5 for its flaperon/dual-aileron servo mix which is much more sensible.

The O6 feels nicer to hold than the E7. It has a nice "solid" feel to it and it's also a little bit less "ugly" and cluttered. The E7 is an old design and has a very untidy appearance, to say nothing of that yucky faux-chrome front-panel.

There are some areas where the E7 scores over the O6 however:

I don't like the slide-switches used for dual-rates and auxilliary channels on the O6. They are nowhere near as nice/easy to switch as the toggles on the E7.

The E7 allows dual rates for the rudder, elevator and ailerons to be switched seperately but the O6 has a single switch for the tail-feathers that doesn't allow you to select hi/lo rate for the rudder and elevator seperately. On some planes this can be an annoying limitation.

The O6 currently has at least one minor firmware bug, which Hitec say they'll be looking into. This means that if you're buying an O6 now you're probably going to have to return it to Hitec for a firmware update at some stage, unless you can live with the limitations imposed by the bug.

Despite its dated appearance, the E7's faux-chrome frontplate does a better job of reflecting the summer heat. It's mid-summer down here now and I find that the O6 gets *very* hot when accidentally left in the sun. It's charcol and gray plastic does a great job of absorbing the sun's heat and after just a few short minutes in direct sunlight, the transmitter case gets so hot as to be uncomfortable to pick up. Of course a lot of transmitters are black which is even worse but I suspect that, come the US summer, a few people might notice this with their own O6.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the O6.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:25 PM
CFIMEI

Hi,

I have the Optic 6. I got it so that I could use 2 aileron servos with 5 channel receivers in 3D applications. When using this feature you must beware of total Tx lockup, sometimes in flight! This can occur under certain, unpredictable combinations of throttle trim, sub-trim, & stick positions. A fix is reportedly underway but if you need this feature for elevator/aileron mixing or just want 2 independent aileron servos & you use an FMA M5 or HiTec 555 Rx then you should wait until they find a cure.

CFIMEI[/b]
Old 02-08-2005, 08:43 PM
XJet
Banned

Yeah, Hitec have dropped the ball on this one.

I also fly 3D with 5-channel receivers and consider the existance of this bug to be a right royal PITA -- especially since I'll have to send my transmitter on a 16,000 round-trip to get the firmware updated if/when they fix the problem -- and that's if they accept my warranty claim because I'm not using my gear in the USA (but I did buy it there).

The Optic is a fine transmitter -- but the claim that Hitec has the best support in the business is ringing a little hollow these days.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:45 PM
PIRATE-FLYER

Hi,I have the O6.What bugs are you guys talking about.I have a profile plane that has two servos for the wing and I have mixing with them.I mixed flaperons and spoilerons.Could this bug effect my plane.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:15 AM
XJet
Banned

Apparently it only occurs if you use aileron differential and/or a whole snotload of negative subtrim on throttle.

I'm still using my O6 on a couple of 3D profile ships with separate aileron servos and have no problems -- bit it would be nice to get it fixed *just in case* I forget and inadvertantly configure a bird such that it triggers the problem.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:26 AM
Vagnr, Ze

Does the Optic 6 provide a way to hook it up with a computer flight sim program?
Old 02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
MikeMayberry

Yes, through the trainer port. Hitec even offers a USB cable that can can be used with the free FMS simulator. http://www.hitecrcd.com/Radios/SIC.htm

You can download it and several Multiplex aircraft for it from http://www.multiplex-rc.de/hp/download/software.jsp

Street price for the USB interface is about $35

Mike.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:36 PM
Vagnr, Ze

Thanks Mike for the great information. I think I'm about ready to purchase the Optic 6.
Chuck
Old 02-23-2005, 12:56 AM
Planeclothes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the 7 for 189 with spectra and without servos, or you can get the 6 with servos and no spectra for 189. Easy choice.
Kyle, this is wrong. The Eclypse with Spectra and no servos sells for 220, the 6 with Spectra and 8 ch receiver sells for 189. I just bought the 6, mainly because of the ability to use dual elevator servos on separate channels (ailevators), but I find my old Airtronics RD6000 a lot easier to program.

Is the "bug" issue just a rumor or is this something Hitec has already acknowledged?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:26 AM
Vismund

The most importent difference between the two for me, is that O6 has the ability to mix twin servos for elevator which was a major drawback on the E7. I own them both but is mainly using the O6 because of this feature.