Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New 14MZ user's your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 14MZ user's your thoughts

ORIGINAL: desertpig

I downloaded the manual and gave it a look.
Where did you find the manual to download? I've not found it anywhere on the Futaba website.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:41 PM
figueroa
My Feedback: (22)

I have looked every where for a manual download. Can't find it any where!! Tell us your secret.
I have a few pages in my manual which are smudged and would like legible clean copies...
ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

ORIGINAL: desertpig

I downloaded the manual and gave it a look.
Where did you find the manual to download? I've not found it anywhere on the Futaba website.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:06 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Oops.. I guess I wasn't supposed to say anything It was a scanned copy. It is no longer available publicly as it was not done by permission. The guy who put it up didn't know manuals were copyrighted material (they are), even says so in the manual.
Since its not on the Futaba website its a real good guess that FUT would not approve it... so no more.

Futaba will release the real thing shortly like it has with all its other manuals. My guess is within a few weeks or months.
Sorry for dangling the carrot!

DP
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Andre,

Sony digital camera battery is the exact same battery as in the transmitter. NP-F570 I ran mine all day yesterday with one in it. Charger is even the same as the camera battery charger.

As stated above, I modified my charger to charge the battery with my Sirius LI-Ion charger. Works perfectly!

Tell us how you did this.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:54 PM
capjlp
My Feedback: (37)

Hey fellow 14mz highflyer club members what ever the he$$ that means...

I got mine last week and have played with held it stroked and thought about sleeping with it but my wife doesn't need to know how much it was

Ok here it goes random thoughts by me...

I was under the impression that the transmitter would also transmit on positive and negative shift apparently not because I can't find that any where I have a multiplex 12 and it does both however it doesn't do PCM. Kinda sucks... cause I sold my JR 10x to help pay for this radio. I also tried another memory card I got a Kingston 1gig photo card supposedly realy fast access times and it works fine plenty of room for wma's just wish it was louder. The battery life sucks I went to field at around 1030am and about 4 flights later it was around 43% I had to charge the radio at the field first time in history for me that I have ran down a transmitter battery. I have some bigger MAH sony handy cam battery's I wonder if they would work ok?

I hate the fact that they don't use the same channel assignment as all previous Futaba gear I had that memorized...

The pictures for your model is really cool.

The touch screen gets nasty in about 5 min.

I also had trouble selecting the top model on my list kept pushing it and it kept selecting the second I calibrated the screen still had trouble.

I also tried to record a voice prompt and got an error. I would tell you what it was but it was in Chinese.

I have emailed my sales rep at GP about 30 times asking questions so far no answers.

I spoke with Frank Noll about this radio back last year in October I was on the first folks to get to see it.

He did tell me then that the updates would either be thru the USB port or you would simply copy the files to the CF card then just plug it back in the radio and turn it on.

The sticks feel good I need to turn the tension up a little but I don't like the ratches.

The radio is much easier (in my opinion) to program than the JR10x I had one for about a year and never used it that much.

I also had a glitch with a PCM 1024 receiver when I am close to airplane say starting it with the radio laying right there the plane would twitch around a little as soon as I moved back say 2 feet it worked fine range tested fine other than being about 1 foot away... WEIRD! Its a whole new plane and setup so I am not sure. I flew 4 planes with it on Saturday and it was the only one I had trouble with. The other planes all had the same model receiver and channel.

I hate all those darn 3 position switches good thing I can change them ... when they get the switches in so I can.

O yea they lied direct sunlight in March... and I can't see the screen that well I can't wait till July...

Over all I still have to say I like the radio even with all the bad comments its differently is the envy at the field.

I also heard at one of the shows that I attended that if you buy the 14mz it will make you fly better. I think it does. Or I hope it does I could have built a new 1/3 scale plane with everything and gas money for what this thing cost. But its kewl... I have to say the sounds are cool I am star trek fan so mine says program complete enter when ready when it boots up in the star trek computer voice from Next Generation

I hope they sell well I have have a couple setting on the shelf.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 AM
mc3854
My Feedback: (6)

According to that Futaba service center you can run the battery down to 30% before worrying about it. I flew 9 ten minute filghts last Sunday and mine was down to only 40%. This WAS just flying time according to the timer on the transmitter! I didn't let everybody turn it on and look at it all day when I wasn't flying!!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Whiskey Bravo
My Feedback: (31)

I am sure all of us with one of these new radios have some questions, i.e., how to install stiffer stick springs as I have on my 9Zs, what type of charge plug is on the back of the tx and where can we obtain them so we can use our existing lith. chargers while leaving the battery in the tx etc.etc. SOOoo I called Futaba service and was advised that " we have not had one of these radios here yet so we can not answer your questions". Now thats planning ahead! If that isn't bush league I don't know what is. Anyway it looks like we are on our own for some time to come and I hope we can continue this forum so we can learn the intricacies of this radio without too many problems.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:51 PM
mc3854
My Feedback: (6)

I bought a new Nissan Frontier when they first came out. I had a tail light burn out and when I took it to the dealer they didn't know how to get the tail light off to replace the bulb. It happens when you buy something new on the market!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: hobby-warehouse

O yea they lied direct sunlight in March... and I can't see the screen that well I can't wait till July...

You didn't hold it in the correct position..... I thought the same thing you said... until I held it right out in the direct sun so it reflects the color screen back at you....shoot viewing it correctly you can see everything very clearly and in color......
Lee
Old 03-09-2005, 12:01 AM
p47dman
My Feedback: (22)

Have been trying to use the playback feature. It will not work for any reason. called Futaba support and they have no idea how to use this radio.
Wish i would have been allowed to read the manual before I purchased it. have you seen that in regular PCM and PPM you only have 8 channels. All the jets that I wanted to put on it now require their 400.00 RX in order to get more channels. Almost wish I would have not bought her.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:49 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

I guess am a little surprised that you are surprised on the channel situation. What receiver did you think you would be able to use to get more than 9 channels? I asked this of Frank Noll at the RCHTA last year and was told it was only 14 channels on the special PCM receiver. Maybe that's why I wasn't surprised, I suppose.

Using PCM 1024, you get 9 channels just like the 9Z, using the same, available 9 channel receivers such as the 149DP. 8 channels in PPM using available Futaba, Hitec, or other same shift PPM receivers. To get more channels than 9, there is only one Futaba compatible receiver that I know of and it's the one that comes with the 14MZ.

I have only played sound back with .wav files connected to switches, etc. I have not tried to use the PLAYER yet. Took me a little while to figure out that the LD knob is the volume control, and you have to turn it up all the way to hear anything. Do you have to use headphones or earphone into the rear jack perhaps to hear the PLAYER?
Old 03-09-2005, 01:03 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Yes I use the playback feature and it works fine. What part of it do you not understand. The music player will only play wma files. To use the music player put the wma file into the right folder (wma) on the compact flash and it will show in the player page. Choose the file from the list and press the play arrow, make sure the volume is turned up. Only wav files work for the switches , the wav file cannot be over 3 seconds as it will not play, you can record it with the transmitters mike or save switch sounds into the (wav) folder on the compact flash card from your computer, I have recorded 38 commands now and you download them from http://208.56.47.162/rcpage.htm and a lot of people like them. I first tried to load a recording at start up and it would not work, it was very frustrating until I recorded a shorter soundbite. The radio has the same nine channels as the 9z when you use pcm 1024 and ppm modulation, the ninth channel ( an on off switch only as before) is on the second page of the function menu, it is labeled DG1. You will also see it in the servo monitor. It is the simplest radio to use that I have ever touched beyond a skysport 4, the lhs owner was amazed that I had all the sounds programmed and 4 planes programmed by the next day after I bought it. I wasn't going to buy many 14 channel rx's at first but now believe that I will buy at least 3 more due to the programming simplicity for some of my planes. The nine channel 319dps looks as if it will be my general workhorse for $179. I will gradually phase out my 149's. You never know but they may bring out a higher channel none synthesized soon, we will see. I have also heard 12 channel rumours but that might just be a leftover from the secrecy surrounding the 14mz.
Good Luck
Paul

Old 03-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Whiskey Bravo

Does anyone know the type of plug and its polarities for the charge jack on the back of the tx? I would like to use an existing lithium charger to charge the tx battery without having to remove it. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:04 PM
rjmdubois

A friend of mine got one, and went yesterday to the field to try with his fleet. He had 5 planes and one heli. He was so exited about the radio he forgot to get all the frequency pins. I bet you can figure out the end of the story.

Bottom line: a cheap 4 channel still can shoot down your plane if both are turned on. Fortunately, no one got hurt - except by someone's ego....
Old 03-10-2005, 07:20 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

This is unfortunate, but not unexpected...Multiplex Profi 4000 uses PPM IPD RX for all 12 channels...PCM is really dead, as the IPD is better, has faster frame rate, and is cheaper too...

have you seen that in regular PCM and PPM you only have 8 channels.
$400 for an RX??..whew, that expensive enough to wire it with a 25 pin plug to swap it out of other planes,lol...thank god for MPX PRofi 4000..still the king,lol
Old 03-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: CDignition

thank god for MPX PRofi 4000..still the king,lol
Which accounts for their overwhelming popularity in the marketplace. Oh wait.......

I love the PCM is dead remark too. Dead on. Unfortunately the rest of the world is unaware of this.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:04 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Are you sure about the faster frame rate? I have been told the 14 is the fastest on the market now.

This is unfortunate, but not unexpected...Multiplex Profi 4000 uses PPM IPD RX for all 12 channels...PCM is really dead, as the IPD is better, has faster frame rate, and is

Old 03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

This is unfortunate, but not unexpected...Multiplex Profi 4000 uses PPM IPD RX for all 12 channels...PCM is really dead, as the IPD is better, has faster frame rate, and is cheaper too...

have you seen that in regular PCM and PPM you only have 8 channels.
$400 for an RX??..whew, that expensive enough to wire it with a 25 pin plug to swap it out of other planes,lol...thank god for MPX PRofi 4000..still the king,lol
Humm, PCM is dead... I don't think so, as a matter of fact I'll bet you the Futaba has sold as many 14MZ's already .... as Multiplex has sold PRofi 4000 total in the USA.... As you know the 14MZ has only been on the market a couple of months at best. Not to mention all the other PCM based radio's that have been sold over the years...

You know I seriously considered buying a 4000 until I signed up for the PRofi user's forum. Constant comments on no or poor Manual.... not user friendly / complicated program..... wrong crystals...oh that's why it doesn't work!..... few if any hobby shops carry them...... etc., etc. And what about resale and or support?
Lee
Old 03-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Whiskey Bravo

I just installed stiffer stick springs like those on my 9Zs. No problem and feels much better to me.
Has anyone learned anything new about the charge jack on the back of the radio and how to use existing lithium chargers through it?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: WLB

I just installed stiffer stick springs like those on my 9Zs. No problem and feels much better to me.
Has anyone learned anything new about the charge jack on the back of the radio and how to use existing lithium chargers through it?
How was it compared to doing it on the 9Z ???

The charge jack n the back accepts an as yet unshipped part from Futaba. No idea about anything about it. For now I don't see pulling the pack as all that big of a deal.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:56 PM
mikeluna

I would love replace the springs with somthing stiffer on my 14MZ ... not ever having a 9Z, cen you spell out the procdure on the 14MZ??

Thanks!

Mike Luna
Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Whiskey Bravo

You can get the stiffer springs from Futaba service or, I assume, Radio South as well, and they are the same springs as used in the 9Z. Remove the four cap head screws from the bottom of the case that hold the black plastic piece on and remove it. Remove the four cap head screws from the top black plastic piece around the antenna and remove it. Remove the two silver cap head screws that hold the switches on each side on top and remove the switches. You will now see two small screws on either side under the switch plates, remove them as well as the two larger screws that are now revealed that reside under the top black piece you have removed. The back is now removable and you will have fairly easy access to the inner workings. More open access than working on the 9Z in my opinion. Any problems, let me know.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:00 AM
BrentB

I just picked mine up. I think it will be a great radio however being a mode 1 flyer we are having problems converting the radio from Mode 2 and are receiving no help from Futaba at this time even though the dealer I purchased it from is trying to resolve this. We converted the sticks to Mode 1 here in Calgary at Futaba's direction, however the plane selections for multiple ailerons and elevators revert the radio back to mode 2 setups.

What I find disappointing is there is a lack of technical knowledge on this product right from Futaba.

My recommendation for buying one as a mode 1 flyer would be reserved at this time as the radio is currently useless to me without product support.

Best Regards, Brent

Old 03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
VerneK

Can you describe the modification you made? I was considering installing a couple of jacks that run straight to the positive and negative posts so I could use my GP Triton. Would that work? Also, what size wrench fits the tamper-proof screw in the bottom of the charger?

Thanks,
Verne
Old 03-14-2005, 10:15 AM
VerneK

Can you describe the modification you made? I was considering installing a couple of jacks that run straight to the positive and negative posts so I could use my GP Triton. Would that work? Also, what size wrench fits the tamper-proof screw in the bottom of the charger?

Thanks,
Verne
ORIGINAL: mc3854

rjpilot

Since I work on electronics part time, I modified the charger that came with the 14 mz so I can charge the battery with the Sirius Lithium Ion charger or plug it into 120vac! You mentioned the 12 volt charger would be 150.00 so I am glad i did! With the extra battery its easy enough to keep the extra charged when needed.

You are right about the date and time! I was wrong! It is not lost when you remove the battery!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.