Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Engine shut off

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:41 AM
twoinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine shut off

I have been running gassers for some time now but have not installed a r/c engine kill switch. Does anyone have any comments/ preferences on installation/type, use etc...
Old 03-06-2005, 07:00 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine shut off

For a magneto ignition I use the same setup used by the engine manufacturer, a switch to ground the magneto. The switch is well forward and near the engine. The servo is far away from the engine and connected to the switch with nyrod. I consider the kill switch a mandatory safety item.

Bill
Old 03-07-2005, 01:16 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine shut off

For electronic ignitions on gassers, I use a non mechanical cut off. By that I mean that it's not servo or linkage activated. These are just my preferences.
There are lots of ways that work, I just prefer to have an electronic cut off.

For instance, I had a nyrod throttle linkage on a 35% Edge. For whatever reason, the nyrod was too close to the muffler and it melted through the rod. The throttle was fluctuating high and low. In that instance, any linkage I may have had wouldn't have worked.

Anyway, I use EDI fiber optic switches, and RCAT Systems electronic switches with good results.
The RC100 from RCAT is a good deal for $24.95 and works like a charm on my 150cc engines.

Just my two cents...