Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
wrig0335

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Problem??

Greetings,

I have a Nexstar that is giving me problems. I don't fly it anymore, but want to get it going on floats this summer. So.. I decided to switch to dual aileron servos (the single one seemed to be pretty weak), and I also might use the flaperon function in the future when I buy a computer radio.

Here's the problem: I took out the aileron servo, and moved it out to one wing. It's an old S-148. I then got a new 3003 for the other wing, and hooked it up, using a Y-harness. When I power the plane up, the 148 seems a bit weaker than the 3003. Also, it sometimes won't respond to an aileron input for a second, then all of a sudden snap to where it should be, while the 3003 does exactly as I tell it. Finally, upon quickly neutralizing the ailerons, the 148 seems to have some "bounce" to it, in that it doesn't just hit the center position and stay there. I had thought maybe it was just worn out, but when it catches the proper signal and moves quickly it still seems to have some pretty good juice. Also, this 148 is the servo that was powering both the ailerons previously with not a single problem.

So... do you guys think it's a bad servo? Do they just spontaneously go bad? I flew it earlier this winter and had no problems. Possible wiring problem? I've checked everything twice, and also taped all the connections to make sure they stay tight, so I don't think that's it, unless it's a problem of the Y-harness itself.

I don't really want to dig all that crap out of there, as it's a huge chore requiring separating the wings and whatnot. Thought maybe you guys would have some ideas before I waste a bunch of time on it.

Thanks a lot!
-Pat-
Old 03-31-2005, 07:28 PM
ghendrix01
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Servo Problem??

Pat,

I had a similar problem a few years ago with extensions to the 2 servo's in the wing. I checked the wiring and found that one of the extension connections had become resistive. I removed the wiring and replaced it with leads long enough to reach the center of the wing and then splice them together creating a y-harness without any additional connectors. This fixed the problem I had. Just a thought.

George
Old 03-31-2005, 07:28 PM
redfox435cat

when ever you hook servos to the same channel via a y harness they have to be identical. The signal may be the same but the way the servos read can be slighly diffreant, gear radio differnat the motors are a little differant.. Course the 148 is probably worn as well.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:15 PM
wrig0335

Thanks for the help guys...

A new 3003 to match the one in the other wing solved the problem. I don't know why I didn't think about that, but my impression was that the 3003 was the exact replacement for the 148... I guess they must have changed something in there...

Thanks again.

-Pat-
Old 04-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would still suspect that when you replaced the older servo you corrected a contact problem in your wiring. I doubt it was the servo, a bad or high resistance connector instead. I'd be very cautious using a buried connector (one that doesn't get unmated and mated periodically), especially in a sea plane where water contamination is almost guaranteed.