Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

14MZ, Anyone own one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:51 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 14MZ, Anyone own one?

I was wondering how many people have bought this radio. Being in Australia, comparing known prices of stuff at my LHS to tower puts the 14MZ at about $4000 aus dollars, which is more than my second car cost let alone my first. I don't think I'll be seeing one in person soon. So I was wondering how many people have bought one? One rule though you or a friend have to have bought it with your own money, being sponsored does not count. Anyone?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 AM
tekati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 14MZ, Anyone own one?

Bought one in the US myself. 2200 is the normal price here although I got mine for 1950 plus tax.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:38 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

I bought mine with actual money.

I learned at the Toledo Show last weekend that Futaba US has sold out and has 300 units on backorder. So much for all the naysayers who thought only 5 people on the planet would buy the radio.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
jjamesrb
My Feedback: (39)

I bought one last week at the hobby barn and a guy bought two just before i got mine and i called everywhere and no one had one in stock, they laughed at the hobby barn and said i just bought the last one in the U.S. They were probably right!!
Old 04-06-2005, 08:04 PM
localbuyer
My Feedback: (6)

Does the 2048 resolution really make any difference?

Tower has them in stock for now.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:47 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of those who bought one. Did you buy it because you just have to have the best or because no other radio meet's your requirements?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:33 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: GRANT ED

Out of those who bought one. Did you buy it because you just have to have the best or because no other radio meet's your requirements?
For me it was an absolute MUST have due to its capabilities. I fly large scale aerobatic planes with 11 to 14 servos and this is made to order for that application. I also fly giant scale gliders and again, the 14MZ is made to order for that as well.

I also fly thermal duration gliders and will be setting it up on those soon as well. Again, programming will be a piece of cake.

It is also incredibly flexible, easily programmed, and a snap to use!! I'm loving it!!! I own 2 9ZWCII's and this just flat is better.

The 2048 is definitely felt in the air, especially in the precision aerobatics area.

Disclaimer. I am on Team Futaba, I did NOT get my 14MZ for free, and for me I would easily have paid retail for it regardless (just as I did for my 9Z's prior to getting on the Team).

Old 04-07-2005, 09:36 PM
Airwurthy
My Feedback: (2)

Own just one here, I suppose there are owners out there with 2....how dare they? Upgraded from a 9ZWCII. I don't feel that the 9z DID NOT fulfill my requirements, as I am also a giant scale flyer but I feel the 14 is easier to program, think I have referenced the manual just for new stuff(lithium battery info, changing the RX freq, etc)and well.....I'm a gadget guy and I just had to have one. Long story longer...did I have to have one? not really. Do I regret buying it? hell no. Does it make me fly better? again, hell no. Do I plan on having the usual problems associated with a new product? Yup. Am I looking forward to seeing the price drop to half of what I paid for mine? Yeah, not so much.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Tuomas Tanska

I want to ask about the TX antenna. Is there an adapter and a standard threaded antenna or is it one piece together with the antenna? I can't tell from the pics I've seen. I would like the possibility to use shorter indoor/rubber antenna and I am wondering if it's possible without making the adapter myself.

Have you been satisfied with the battery? How long does it last in normal field use and is it recharged on table charger or in TX?

Can you have the radio reading notes/schedules when you practise pattern or IMAC, or is it just a rumour? I assume every sound can be played through the speaker or headphones including warning sounds, counters and music files..

Can you back up your Model settings on your PC?

(I probably won't write this correctly but) does the TX use single side modulation on PPM mode like 9z with synthesizer module does? In another words can you use for example JR R700, ACT 4up or similar FM receivers or do you have to have Futaba FM RX. This can be a problem in indoor flying as most (if not all) other brands require 'standard' modulation and don't work with at all.

I couldn't get answers on these from my supplier, the first few transmitters will arrive soon. These things will affect my decision, I hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:31 AM
bluestratos

Mine is on its way. I also am a gadget guy so this has been long awaited for. Besides, I already have my 10 model memory full so I had to expand. Doubt I will ever have 100 at one time, lol...

I hope a tread developes soon to share info on using the radio, I have the manual off the web and already have questions...

Regards,

Randy
Old 04-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Tuomas Tanska

I want to ask about the TX antenna. Is there an adapter and a standard threaded antenna or is it one piece together with the antenna?
The antenna has a BNC type attachment to the TX. Some call it a bayonet attachment. You place the antenna in the top of the TX and give it a push and 1/4 turn to lock it in place.

Have you been satisfied with the battery? How long does it last in normal field use and is it recharged on table charger or in TX?
My battery lasts for around 3 hours of on time in normal use. That is around 11 to 12 flights for me. More than I usually fly in any given day. I simply charge it using the desk charger. The adapter to charge in the TX is not yet available.

Can you have the radio reading notes/schedules when you practise pattern or IMAC, or is it just a rumour?
No rumor. You can record 3 second sound clips and actuate them using a switch. You can record using the built in microphone or load them using the CF card.

Can you back up your Model settings on your PC?
The CF card acts as the backup. It is where the models are saved. I see no reason why you cannot save them on your PC if you choose to do so.

As far as receivers go, it is only compatible with Futaba compatible recievers if that makes sense. It will work with all Futaba PPM, 1024 PCM and 2048 PCM G3 Receivers. I have also tested mine with a Shadow 1 synthesized RX and a Berg DSPII RX and it worked fine with both.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:20 AM
hoverlover9797
My Feedback: (3)

Yes you can backup planes, pic's, and sund files to your pc. I had to get an adapter from Office Depot, it read 12 differant data cards. While I was there I picked up a 256mb CF card and it also works with the radio.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:18 AM
tekati

Yea I am kind of bummed with the amount of models I can store in my 14MZ. With a Sandisk 512MB compact flash card I am only able to store a little over 3800 different models according to the information screen. Hmm I think that will last me a little while at least (chuckle)!!!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: tekati

Yea I am kind of bummed with the amount of models I can store in my 14MZ. With a Sandisk 512MB compact flash card I am only able to store a little over 3800 different models according to the information screen. Hmm I think that will last me a little while at least (chuckle)!!!
That's good to know. The stock 32MB card only stores 240 models and I'm going to run out of space in about anohter 150 years of modeling So it's good to know that there are alternatives.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Tuomas Tanska

For jets and pylon you need the faster sandisk ultra II card. Worst joke ever? [&o]

Can 14mz play .mp3? Manual only says .wma and .wav. I'll be cool to practise AA/freestyle with transmitter playing the song. I hope it stops music when the timer beeps.. My dealer just told me he has sent the transmitter to me. Maybe (most likely) the first one in Finland. No wonder no one knows anything about it around here..

You can record 3 second sound clips and actuate them using a switch.
Can I launch one manouver after another, whole schedule with the same switch or button? I am a little confused how it's done..

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2005, 03:10 PM
bluestratos

Am I correct, reading the manul it appears that this radio only operates as a 8 channel unless the 14 channel reciever is used. Does that mean if I use a 9 channel reciever I can in no way access the 9th?

Regards,
Randy
Old 04-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: bluestratos

Am I correct, reading the manul it appears that this radio only operates as a 8 channel unless the 14 channel reciever is used. Does that mean if I use a 9 channel reciever I can in no way access the 9th?

Regards,
Randy
In PCM 1024 or PPM mode you get 8 proportional channels and 1 non-proportional (it's on the second screen of the function menu) called DG1.

In G3 14-channel mode you get 12 proportional channels and 2 non-proportional, called DG-1 and DG-2.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: aresti2004
In G3 14-channel mode you get 12 proportional channels and 2 non-proportional, called DG-1 and DG-2.
WHAT? It's not 14 proportional channels????
Old 04-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: HarryC

Nope. 12 plus two non-proportional. Flame away, but there it is. My 38% Extra uses 10 servos on the proportional channels and the throttle kill is on the non-proportional. Perfect for things like gear, throttle kill, smoke, etc.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Tony abw60

Phew, glad I didn't buy one
Old 04-11-2005, 06:07 PM
bluestratos

Just got mine on the doorstep, put it on charge and get to play with it when I get home again. This is one cool looking radio. Even the case they supply is cool, lol...and switches, and sliders and trims and and and ohhh too much to too soon, lol...

Some one asked me at the club why I ordered it... answer "because I have one and you don't" :-) lol..

I really ordered it because I just maxed out my 10 plane memory on my 7C and becuase I do lots of mixing. Now... where do I put the DVD to watch movies....?

Regards,
Randy
Old 04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
locoworks

question on the model memory.... i know it says 240 model memory on the 32 mb card, however, on the 9 zap, it says so many models on a 64 campac etc etc. but if you have conditions set you dont get anywhere near the amount of models your supposed to in the 64 mb. so on the tm14, if you have a nice photo assigned, 3 flight conditions with associated verbal notification's, how many models will you really get in 32mb??. best way to check would be set up a heli with 4 conditions, stick a picture to it and see how much card got used up in properties on a pc? any takers??
Old 04-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Silent-AV8R

Memory -

First the CAMPAC is 64 kilobytes NOT MB.

I have three models saved to the CF card. Each one is an aerobatic planes with 3 flight conditions set up. Each file is 128 KB.

My photo files are 105 KB each.

The sound files I have (synthesized voice used) are 25 KB each.

So far on my card with these three planes, photos and sound files I have used up 1.8 MB on the card. Each plane is +/- 128 KB and I assume that does not include the photo. So call it 228 kb/plane. That will let me get around 140 to 150 models saved on the stock card. Word is that many other larger cards also will work, so I sincerely doubt that you will EVER run out of memory for planes. I'm not sure I’ve had 140 planes in the 30 some odd years I've been flying RC!!!
Old 04-15-2005, 06:21 PM
locoworks

thanks aresti, do you have conditions set or just the one condition per model? i do realise that unlike the campac it is megs not k. i would think you should be able to edit on a pc what is on the memory card and as such you would only load onto the 32 meg card the model memories for the models you were taking out that day? i have around 25 models, half of which have 3 or 4 flight conditions and i was wondering if they would all fit in 32 megs. how many models does the tranny hold without the compact flash card?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:42 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

What a weak answer..I would be very dissapointed had I spent $2300 bux and only got 12 real channels..you are totally pidgeonholed into their setup with the last 2 weak 1 bit channels...how many retracts do you have on your Imac planes,lol..none. My smoke is proportinal, but I guess if you have a $3000 radio, a wheel collar is all you can afford to regulate the smoke oil flow, lol..

Also, $400 bux for their RX is stupid...and if you use a PPM RX, its an 8 channel radio??.. Nice, just what we have grown to expect from Futaba...Lemmings,lol...

ORIGINAL: HarryC

Nope. 12 plus two non-proportional. Flame away, but there it is. My 38% Extra uses 10 servos on the proportional channels and the throttle kill is on the non-proportional. Perfect for things like gear, throttle kill, smoke, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.