Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Water in Servo??

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 08:10 AM
joffacn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in Servo??

Hi

The GWS666N steering servo on my Traveller goes full 90 when I turn it on and does not respond to input.

The throttle servo works OK in both channels. My car got wet (splashed) not drowned.

I drove it for a short while afterwards, seemed OK, but the next day when I when to start it just went full deflectionand no response.

I took the cover off the servo and can not see any water droplets. What can I try or is this a replacement job?

Thanks Jeff
Old 04-11-2005, 08:37 AM
mbba2002
Banned
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Water in Servo??

Time for a new servo. Once you see water inside the case junk it for parts. Buy a new one and silicone the case at the joints.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:02 AM
magyarbacsi

Before you junk it, open the case and loosen the inside as much as possible with out detaching any connections. Rinse with sterile water then soak the entire servo assembly in isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) for several hours, even a day. Remove and let dry. May use compressed air but still let dry for several days. I have used this on my seaplanes that got submerged and has worked every time. My father-in-law, an electrical engineer for Boeing gave me this solution. Will not fix mechanical problems or damages. Just problems caused by water. Pure sterile water will not conduct electricity. The impurities in it is what causes circuits to short out.

Silicone, that smell like vinegar, will damage electronics. It is acidic. Better suggestion is liquid tape. Paint the joints and let dry.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do not use rubbing alcohol as it already has water in it, could be as much as 50%. Always use denatured alcohol which is available at most hardware or paint stores. Even then make sure any alcohol you store has the cap well sealed or it will collect water from the atmosphere. Other than alcohol type, the suggestion to rinse thoroughly with distilled water then alcohol is good.