Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servos gitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:31 AM
KG4EHL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servos gitter

hi all,
I am not really new to RC airplanes but with regard to some details with the newer radios I am still a little green. Here is the problem... while testing my plane for the flying season I charged up the receiver and transmitter and tested to make sure everything was as I left at the end of last season. I turned the plane on first and noticed that the servos twitching constantly moving the surfaces to their extreme locations... I turned the transmitter on and they centered. I had attributed this to some thing in my house interfering.... Like the new wireless power meter the electric company put on my house so they can read my usage.... I went to the field and flew and didn't see a problem. flew great... This gear has never been in a crash and is 1 year old Airtronics RD8000 system.
today I tested the system in the house again for flying this weekend. Turned the plane on and the twitching happened again only this time when I turn the plane up side down it stops turn the plane right side up it starts again. I thought maybe the antenna is at just the right angle to pick up interference so I detached the antenna and made sure it stayed on the same plane and moved the model the twitching happened as it did before... I checked all the cables..... and battery all seems to be as it should.... any ideas on what might be going on.....? Should I worry about this... is it a bad receiver, bad battery? I have only crashed one plane and have been flying off and on since 1989 or so.. hate to start now.

Help would be great
Old 04-14-2005, 08:18 AM
KG4EHL

Default RE: servos gitter

This may be related to another post I read.... I use channel 59 and wonder if there maybe a channel out at my field being used that could interfere if close enough? Though this happened at home too.... anyone have any ideas....again when I trun the plane upsidedown the gitter to all servos stops...... weird loose wire?
Help?
Old 04-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Rick Lindsey

I'm not sure what's causing the jittering, but it wouldn't suprise me if the rx was picking up low-power stray radiation and trying to interpret as a tx signal (which could easily cause the symptom you're describing). It is my understanding that one should always turn on the tx first, then the rx. Perhaps the reasons for this include avoiding the situation you've described?

-Rick (utter newbie, so keep a grain of salt handy)
Old 04-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From your post it is not clear whether or not you have the transmitter on when checking for jitter. If the transmitter is off, you can expect jitter, that is why you always turn on your transmitter first. If there is no jitter with the transmitter on and you pass a range check, there should be no problem. If you had your system stored for the winter and are just now starting to use it again, be sure to check your batteries for adequate capacity by doing a charge at 0.1C for 15 hours and then a discharge at about .25C and make sure they are at least capable of 80% capacity. It could take at least 3 cycles of charge/discharge to bring them back up to capacity. If they do not return to capacity, best to replace them.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:45 AM
KG4EHL

Thanks guys... the TX was off in this case... I have never seen this happen before... The system is rock solid withthe TX on. I always range check so will continue just to keep an eye on it as I should!
Thanks again!