Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Overheated JR 8103 Tx battery???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:02 AM
WhtBronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated JR 8103 Tx battery???

Well I figured I’d ask even though I believe I figured this out already. Here’s what happened. I have left my 8103 in the sun for about 30 minutes, the temp was about 75. I then put it on my Hobbico Quick Field Charger MKII which took about 5 minutes to peak. I used the Tx to fly Raptor 50 for 11-12 minutes. Within 5 minutes of the flight I had the Tx back on the Field Charger along with the heli since both batteries are drained a good bit after I fly the heli. The heli finished charing and 5 minutes later the Tx was still not done. So I turned on the radio and it showed 10.4v, usually showed 11.5v or so by this time and should have peaked. I noticed the battery cover was hot. So I took it off and the battery had melted some of the heat shrink around it and was extremely hot, obviously. So I let it cool down in the shade for about an hour and then put it in another Tx to see if was working, but didn’t fly with it again. Last night it took a 600mah charge just fine and did not get hot, the battery is 8 cell 600mah nicd.

Am I correct in thinking that between being left in the sun, dumb me, then charging it, immediately flying with it, and then charged again that I just got the battery too hot? I should have let it cool down between charging, flying and charging again.

It’s easy to forget proper procedure when your 4 and 7 year olds are hounding you to help them fly as well.

TIA