Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 14MZ Price

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 04:00 PM
BARCC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 14MZ Price

Man, i jsut was looking at the prices for the Futaba 14MZ, and man, it costs as much as a car practically, my local hobby shop said the same thing!! We both agreed, anybody else think so?
Old 04-25-2005, 05:11 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Default RE: Futaba 14MZ Price

The 14MZ is a top of the line radio system married to a personal computer with a very high end receiver. If you fly a plane that can take advantage of it (40%ers, Jets, etc) not only is it a good tool, but it probably is the lowest cost element of the hobby. The average 40% airplane is $7K with many nearing $10K Ditto for turbine planes. When one has 20 grand in airplanes in the hangar a little over 2 grand for a radio doesn't seem all that much.

The radio also appeals to the technophiles who need to have the latest and greatest and don't mind paying for it. I fall into that category, but I have a new 10X and that scratched my techno itch.

It is of course, all relative. We don't pick on or criticize the Ferrari owner who has to pay $500 for an oil change - if he can own a Ferrari, $500 is petty cash. So what some think is expensive, others find value in. A guy who owns a $10K plane - $2K for a radio that can be used for everything seems like a good deal!

For the guy who flies a 6 channel plane and probably won't ever have a plane that has 7 servos, much less 14 or more, the MZ will seem like overkill and a waste of $$. Then again, everyone hates those Ferrari guys too

One thing is for sure.. there are going to be very few pilots who will outgrow the MZ.
DP
Old 04-25-2005, 05:28 PM
tekati

Sounds like you need to stay away from the Yugo dealership to me!

I have a 14MZ and I fall into the just got to have it category as well.

If you want to ask a better question ask...

"Who has bought and returned a 14MZ because it just would not do what they wanted it too?"
Old 04-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Airwurthy
My Feedback: (2)

As a matter of fact I did pay more for my MZ than I did my last car....1990 Honda Civic hatchback, but my 35 % fits in there just fine...as long as there is no passenger(in the car that is). And to answer your question...Why would I spend $2000 for a radio, and $2000 for a car to carry my $3000 35% to the field???(Freud would have a ball with this) I have no answer other than my priorites are all screwed up. Yet, I still manage to enjoy my MZ.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 PM
xcellheli
My Feedback: (1)

My 14MZ cost $47,000! My wife bought a new Mercedes and I made her feel guilty so that I could get a 14MZ. Alright, it wasn't nice, but it worked.