Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Metal servo arms for metal gear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 06:12 AM
Sparks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal servo arms for metal gear?

I was told by my friends that we should not use metal servo arms for metal geared servos due to possible radio interference. Is it true? Appreciate all your comments.

Sparks
Old 09-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of those false rumors that gets started by someone saying that, "I heard this from a friend, who heard this from a friend, who heard this...."

Some one had better tell Hitec that they are messing up because ALL of their digitals with metal gears come with a metal (aluminum) servo arm! I have used metal servo arms for years in conjunction with metal geared servos with absolutely ZERO problems in my jets as well as giant scale aircraft. As a matter of fact I have a set-up with this combo in my HotSpot right now. I'd use 'em!!! Kevin
Old 09-29-2002, 02:30 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Metal to metal contacts cause problem ONLY if there is vibration between the two metals. A firm joint will not cause RF interference. As a side issue, I guess you know that metal gears will wear much faster than the plastic ones do and will eventually cause some slop in your servo. They are also audibly noisier than plastic but are stronger.