Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba R149DP

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba R149DP

This weekend some one stole my JR XP8103 radio, case, I4C load tester and some other things from our flying field. [:@] I only used this Xmitter to fly my 33% H9 Edge 540 which currently has a 8 channel JR PCM receiver in it. I also own a Futaba 9C that I fly all my other planes on but they are all using Hitec FM receivers. (at our field Futaba FM (R127DF ) receivers get " hits " ) Rather than replace the XP8103 I thought I would just replace the reciever in my Edge with a Futaba R149DP and fly it on the 9C with all my other planes.

As usual I got it backwards and ordered the Futaba R149DP then did some research on it. I have found a few ( not few enough though ) threads about this model receiver failing. Is there an inherent defect in this receiver or can I be confident it will not cause me to loose my Edge 540? I'm running three JR8611's, and 5 JR 2731s with dual 6v unregulated battery packs. I called Tower back a few hours after placing the order but it had already been invoiced so I could not change the order.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Futaba R149DP

I own 2-149DP recievers.
With that said, I use a R138DP receiver in my H9 Cap.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Robotech

Thanks Geistware.

That's what I was afraid of. I just called them and though it hadn't been put on the truck yet they would not cancel the order and I will have to pay to ship it back to them after I get it. I guess I will loose the 2 day shipping and return shipping charges but that's less than a 33% Edge.

I went back to their site and ordered the R138DP.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:58 PM
Silent-AV8R

I own several 149DP receivers and have flown them in all kinds of planes all the way up to using a single one in a 38% Extra with 9 digitals. I have NEVER had a single problem. I consider it a bulletproof RX. And I know a fairly large number of people who share this observation.

I also strongly recommend anyone running a gas engine to use PCM only.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:50 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I have been using several 149DP RX's for about 2 years now. Approx 300 flights - no problems. I use unregulated 5-cell packs. My planes range from a GP Patty to a GP330L.

Weak installations and bad choices of servos and wiring cause more problems that most pilots will ever admit.

Safe Flying!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Zman39
My Feedback: (6)

I have been flying Futaba radios for 20 years and HONESTLY can't remember the last time I had a problem with any receiver. I consider them "old reliable".

Z
Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Robotech

Maybe I'll just keep both of the receivers then. I'm going to need another PCM for my Goldberg Monster Pitts anyway.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it maybe hard to discount the failures and or noted problems with these receivers, there are so many of these RX's in the RC world, and like all things problems are to be expected. More likely than NOT, the number of units sold as compared to service data suggests there is little to worry about. I know this does not give any of us a warm fuzzy feeling but it’s simply the way it is in the real world. Until recently, with the release of the 14mhz the 149 was the Futaba’s flagship RX along with the 319 synth RX.

All that said, I just counted and I own NINE 149's and FOUR 309 synth RX's. For the most part these RX's have been fitted in large aerobatic gas powered models, many in twin installations for several years. I have never had any failures with these RX's. Albeit the RX’s have been serviced on occasion to validate their integrity and provide some piece of mind and if nothing else it’s cheap insurance IMO.

I'm now using Multiplex IPD RX's and have found them to work equally as well. One of the features afforded of the technology with these new intelligent RX's is their ability to offer is nearly identical attributes of PCM, but they do NOT require the propitiatory TX and PCM modulation scheme of the OEM RX in play. This means any PPM TX can be used of the appropriate modulation and or shift and some of the offerings are auto shift select and synthesized, so virtually ant TX can be used. This would solve your present problem quite nicely. Simply pare the Futaba TX to an intelligent auto sensing synthesized RX and its all good!

Old 05-13-2005, 02:58 PM
BlueMax3
My Feedback: (1)

For what it's worth, I have three 149DP Rxs and have never had any problems. Two are in glow planes and one is in a gas plane. One of them has over 400 flights on it. I use them with a 9C and always get great range checks and have never had one go into failsafe. It's hard to know what to do in these situations, because it's hard to get actual data on failure rates of receivers. I do know a lot of people who use these and don't have any problems, but certainly no one wants to get a bad one.

Best of luck with your choice and for many successful flights!

Travis
Old 05-14-2005, 10:35 AM
XhAoHaOx

yep,R149DPs are fantastic. I accidentally plugged in my peak charger into my ESC(motor port) which was connected to the Rx, smoking ESC, servos also smoked. but R149DP, nothing happened to it! That means the 1.2A current i was charging (12v) the ESC went THRU the rx and fried the servos. Phew.