Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why buy an analog servo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 11:27 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Why buy an analog servo?

I keep hearing that digital servos are the way to go now.

So why will anyone bother to buy an analog one?

I have not done any detailed comparison, but I believe that for mainstream servos you can find a comparable digital version at a similar price (right?).

If so, why don't always buy the digital ones?

Thanks,
Edgar
Old 10-08-2002, 12:28 AM
thomasb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why buy an analog servo?

So why will anyone bother to buy an analog one?
Because they do a fine job in most model applications. Simply put, standard servos are lower cost, consume less current, and most have great performance.

Heck, there are places that a high-torque standard servo is over-kill. That said, I would argue that there are even more places where a digital servo is totally unnecessary. I use them, but only in the areas that matter.

Let me put it this way -- why stick an expensive digital on the throttle? What would you gain? What advantage would a parkflyer e-model have with high speed digital servos? Do all average sport (Sunday) flyers really want to spend more money on their servos, especially when they will not feel a bit of difference on their high wing trainer?

Digital Servos are great. But that does not mean that they are always "best."