Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Pros and cons of using 53.4 mhz

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:56 PM
David DeWitt
My Feedback: (289)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and cons of using 53.4 mhz

I see more pilots using 50 mhz than 53 mhz. I live in central Florida and fly in meets in the southeast area is there any reason why 53.4 should not be used?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Pros and cons of using 53.4 mhz

I think the 53 mHz band has more chance for interference. This is based upon heresay and no scientific evidence. All new ham radios are on 50mHz, I think. 53 is still legal. I assume you are a licensed ham operator?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:52 PM
ChuckA

I flew on 53.4 for over 30 years but had to give it up when the new no-code technican license let too many CBers get on the ham band and they put a repeater right on top of 53.4. I now fly on channel 04.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:27 PM
CFIMEI

Hi,

I was on 53.5 in the Los Angeles area for many years. At one slope spot I frequented there was a communications site about a mile West on that same ridge. I would get blasted using an FMA Fortress DC Rx. I checked the frequency listings & found a Highway Patrol Tx at that site operating on 42.8 Mhz -- exactly the same as the local 1st oscillator in my Rx. I monitored this with a scanner & heard regular traffic on that freq. So watch out for Public Service "low band" repeaters in addition to Ham repeaters & watch for both images & oscillator coincidences. At the same ridge I am OK on both 72 & 50 Mhz with DC Rxs.

It's kind of disappointing to see, on these threads, people remarking about how easy the Tech ticket is to get & encouraging others to get theirs. I think it opens the door to people who really know little about radio theory & operation & who care even less. The General, Advanced & Extra license grades require a lot more knowledge & experience & it's sad to see hard earned privileges shared with them.

CFIMEI
Old 06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a gentlmens agreement in the ameature group to not use the low end of the 6 meter band for repeaters, all repeaters are in the 53 MHZ end of the band leaving the 50MHZ open for our use in RC. N4MCZ
Old 06-09-2005, 09:55 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

You are much safer on 50 mhz than 53 mhz because of the repeater issue. I have been flying on 50 mhz since 1957 and have never had a problem. You will also find that a number of manufacturers have stopped making gear for 53 because sales on that band have been so slow.

Rich

AD9V
Old 06-09-2005, 11:27 AM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rodney
There are times that "gentlmens" agreement goes out the window....just listen to the section of 50mHz we fly on durring the VHF contest. And it gets worse if propagation is good!

From talking to a lot of Hams....A lot of them have no idea that we fly in that section of the band...and some just don't care because they have no idea of what is involved in R/C.

I hate to sound negative about this....I do fly on 6 meters. Both 50 and 53 mHz but I have an idea of what the band is doing before I go out flying. I know some guys running big power on 6 meters !

73 DE
KA9DNO (Pete)
Old 06-10-2005, 07:22 PM
The PIPE

Artsci Publications ONLINE repeater listing "reminder time" again....

Dear Barnstormer425:

The PIPE here once more...and at...

http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/

...IS a place where you can find six meter location and FREQUENCY listings for the USA, and even Canada !!!!

As far as your chosen "yellow and black" colored frequency (by the flags designating it) I DO remember that the old KIORITZ made 2.4 cu-in. gas two stroker engine caused TONS of interference on 53.400 MHz back in the 1980s...for SOME strange reason...but nowadays, with 53 MHz band repeaters "sprouting up like dandelions" in many area of the USA, it MIGHT be better to use only 50 MHz for flying RC with...and use 53 MHz ONLY for GROUND based models.

Looked like this thread needed an "Artsci Publications Online Ham Repeater Listing reminder", that's all...!

Hope it helps...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE !!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:17 AM
smokingcrater

I flew on 53.4 for over 30 years but had to give it up when the new no-code technican license let too many CBers get on the ham band and they put a repeater right on top of 53.4. I now fly on channel 04.
It's kind of disappointing to see, on these threads, people remarking about how easy the Tech ticket is to get & encouraging others to get theirs.

I thought that attitude died 15 years ago, guess not! guess what, the tech ticket was opened up to save our hobby!!! if you have enough people lose interest, bye bye frequencies. currently there is nothing stopping the FCC from doing that other then their good will. Hams scream we need to be here for public emergencies, but fewer and fewer voices are saying that, eventually no one will hear you.

anyway, back to the original subject. haul out a radio and listen at your field for awhile, and then if you are satified go fly. just because no one is supposed to be there doesn't mean anyone isn't...
Old 06-12-2005, 10:47 AM
CFIMEI

....guess what, the tech ticket was opened up to save our hobby!!!
Hi,

I think if you look at Amateur Radio history you'll find that the Technician Class license was established for those whose radio interest lay more in the technical realm than that of the "communicator" types. It was a place where they could tinker & experiment with new & unusual types of modulation, antennas, components etc. & it led to real advances in the state-of-the-art. Its spectrum assignments were all VHF/UHF where they couldn't do too much harm to other services at that time. The more common entry point to Ham operation was the Novice Class ticket which often led to the General and, later, the other higher classes.

I don't think the current deal where people take an easily rote-memorized test, so that they can legally jam a 6 meter RF module in the back of a factory-built RC Tx & "go fly", is going to strengthen Amateur Radio in any meaningful way.

CFIMEI
Old 06-13-2005, 12:17 AM
smokingcrater

I don't think the current deal where people take an easily rote-memorized test, so that they can legally jam a 6 meter RF module in the back of a factory-built RC Tx & "go fly", is going to strengthen Amateur Radio in any meaningful way.
but it actually does... the term 'use it or lose it' applies to Ham frequencies quite a bit, and RC activity on 6m certainly gives us visability. (and I'm fairly sure RC is a MUCH, MUCH larger hobby then ham radio. no ham radio shops within 100 miles from me, but certainly many hobby shops)
Old 06-13-2005, 01:07 AM
CFIMEI

but it actually does... the term 'use it or lose it' applies to Ham frequencies quite a bit, and RC activity on 6m certainly gives us visability. (and I'm fairly sure RC is a MUCH, MUCH larger hobby then ham radio. no ham radio shops within 100 miles from me, but certainly many hobby shops)
Yeah, but If the "Easy Tech-ers" invade this band in large enough numbers to be noticed by the FCC then the band will have been degraded to the point where it's not worth saving for anybody!

CFIMEI
Old 06-13-2005, 08:45 AM
ChuckA

ORIGINAL: CFIMEI

....guess what, the tech ticket was opened up to save our hobby!!!
Hi,

I think if you look at Amateur Radio history you'll find that the Technician Class license was established for those whose radio interest lay more in the technical realm than that of the "communicator" types. It was a place where they could tinker & experiment with new & unusual types of modulation, antennas, components etc. & it led to real advances in the state-of-the-art. Its spectrum assignments were all VHF/UHF where they couldn't do too much harm to other services at that time. The more common entry point to Ham operation was the Novice Class ticket which often led to the General and, later, the other higher classes.

CFIMEI
You are correct as to the original intend of the Technican license. The only difference between the requirements for a Tech and General license was the code speed requirements. The main problem I see with the new easy code free Tech license is that it provides a way for CBers to get on the 6 meter ham bands. Shades of 1966. I started working on a ham linense in 1951 in order to fly RC but gave up when the original license free 27 mc was created. One frequency (27.255) and we took turns flying ( or trying to get the radio to work). By 1966, we had several 27 mc frequencies between the CB channels. Everything worked fine as long as the CBers stuck to their channels and avoided linears. I remember one of the electronic magazines printing a tip about moving to one of the "unused radio control channels" between the CB channels to get away from the busy CB channels. When I invested a month's take home pay for my first digital proportional radios, I didn't want to risk being shot down by a "good buddy" and got my Technican's license. Now I can't fly on 53.4 because the CBers have moved to 6 meters and put a repeater too close to my frequency. Can't get away from "good buddies" .
Old 06-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

You guys need to quit being such elitists! This is one of the reasons I don't talk on ham radio any more. I got sick of the arrogance towards people holding a tech license. Just because you can tap out 20WPM on the key and can string a sweet dipole antenna doesn't make you gods of the airwaves. I got into ham radio because I liked the technology and the fact that I might meet new people, but I was proven wrong on at least one of those things. If you want ham radio to survive, you need to generate more people’s interest. And if that means making it a little easier to get your foot in the door, then fine. You can either deal with the people using the 6 meter band, or lose it.

Jay
KE4UCF
Old 06-15-2005, 12:22 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Gad guys, this discussion about CB'ers is (as my granddaughter says) so five minutes ago. Have you noticed that except for the 18 wheeler jockies that CB is dead? Check with your local RS and ask them how many CB rigs they sell. I've been in a couple of RS's that didn't have any on the shelf but would order one if you really wanted it. How many big mulit-element CB antennas do you see on houses these days---how many cars do you see on the highway with CB whips? Not too many. It seems to me that the folks getting the new Tech ticket are interested in communicaitons, for much the same reasons that you and I got our tickets--in the first place. The typical rachet jawed CB'er is using a cell phone and the internet.

Rich

AD9V

----------------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 06-15-2005, 12:24 PM
CFIMEI

ORIGINAL: Safety Hawk

You can either deal with the people using the 6 meter band, or lose it.

Jay
KE4UCF
But what if "dealing with them" is equivalent to losing it?? I know of one case at Sepulveda Basin where the subject in point thought he personally owned ch 36. He delighted in occupying it when working on his model in the pits, while others waited to fly on it. He was easily miffed if anyone questioned his self-granted rights. I notice that in his avatar on the "Basin" thread he is now sporting a "call sign". Now he can hog one of the ten 50 Mhz freqs instead of one of the far more numerous 72 channels.

CFIMEI

Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

I understand what your saying, and I guess this is where the two hobbies conflict. On the one side, you want more people using the amateur bands so the the FCC doesn't decide to deem the frequencies dead and then "re-appropriate" them, but on the other side, you want the frequencies to be available for RC use. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.