Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mixes for a SPAD DDust

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:12 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixes for a SPAD DDust

Basically this design has to ailerons in the back of the craft and both are used for turning and elevator. The problem I have encountered is , I don't know how to do the mixes. can any one of you advanced pilots please fill me in with the channels I need to mix to accomplish flying the plane . Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95800.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	283241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83127.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	283242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88298.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	283243  
Old 06-10-2005, 08:32 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Mixes for a SPAD DDust

You need to have a transmitter that has a built-in mix called either "delta" or "elevon". The transmitter mixes the aileron and elevator inputs. Also, you can but a device that does this if your transmitter does not have this capability. They are about $15. It is not possible to do this mixing with a simple programmable mix.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:07 PM
RC-Captain

Ok thanks, I have this mix on my Tracker II. Its called elevon mix, I am looking at the manual but need to know exactly what I am trying to accomplish with the mixes. for example, When I pull down on the right stick what should the ailerons do . Thanks again.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:02 PM
DMcQuinn

OK, that's good that your transmitter has this mix. You plug one servo into the channel on the receiver labelled "elevator". And the other servo into the channel labelled "Aileron". When you pull up elevator (right stick pulled back toward your belly), both surfaces should go up. just like up elevator on any normal plane. when you put the right stick straight right (but not up or down), the right aileron should go up and the left should go down. Again just like ailerons on your trainer. If you put the stick in the lower right corner, the right should be full up and the left should be about neutral. If this does not work out, then you must experiement with reversing the direction of travel on the transmitter and you may have to physically swap the two servo wires on the receiver. There are only 4 choices on the transmitter (both servos normal, both reversed, etc.) and you can swap the two wires. So you have a total of 8 choices. And one of them will work out.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:20 PM
RC-Captain

Thanks I have it all set up the way you explained and I would like to thank you and tell you I gratefully appreciated your help . Do you know any thing about low and high rates. I am trying to set the radio up to land using high rates . Thanks .

PS did I come across as if I was an A hole ?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:29 PM
DMcQuinn

High and low rates are fun to play with. I have flown many delta planes, including the diamond dust. These types of planes do not really need high and low rates. But you can play with this anyway. You set up high rates so that the surfaces move perhaps 40 degrees either way from neutral. This is way too much for normal flying, taking off and landing. So you set up the lower rate at 50% of the high rate. In this mode, the surfaces only move 20 degrees up and down. You use this rate for normal flying. And you use the high rate for really crazy aerobatics in the air. This is especially useful on 3d airplanes. On your delta, it will not be that useful because with really large deflections (like 40 degrees) the plane will not do much interesting stuff.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:46 PM
RC-Captain

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this to me , but I have never used HIGH and LOW rates on any planes I have . Can you please go into detail as far as how to set up the high rates ? . With this design it is said to use high rates when landing but if you truly feel I can do with out them then your previous help is appreciated.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:54 AM
DMcQuinn

Ok. Set the transmitter up for high rate at 100% and low rate at 50%. I use JR radios, so cannot help with the detailed aspects of this on your Tracker 2. Connect the pushrods on the servo end using one of the holes toward the end of the arm. In other words, use a fairly long servo arm. On the surfaces, connect the pushrod to the control arm using one of the holes in the middle. The length of the control rod should be mechanically adjusted such that when the servo is at neutral and the surface is at neutral, all angles are at 90 degrees. There should be 90 degrees between the the push-rod and the servo arm. Also 90 degrees between the pushrod and the control horn. All of this so far is standard linkage setup as for any plane. Turn on TX and RX. move the sticks to their extreme up and down. See if the control surfaces move about 30 - 40 degrees each way on high rate. Then switch to low rate and move the sticks to their extreme positions. Now the surfaces should move about 15 - 20 degrees each way. That's really all there is to high/low rates. In summary, get everything set up mechanically on high rates like any other plane, then use low rates to reduce the amount of travel.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:26 AM
RC-Captain

Thanks McQuinn, everything is working well. Thanks for taking the time to assist me . The pic is of the DDUST I was using the mixes for .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76802.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	283376  
Old 06-11-2005, 10:30 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

PS did I come across as if I was an A hole ?

No , you did not. You came across as an adult. Had you always done so the question would not have come up.

Keep up the good work!

jess
Old 06-11-2005, 11:12 PM
RC-Captain

Sorry SIR you missed the party. Rain checks are not available at this time. Thanks for visiting.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:38 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Sorry SIR you missed the party. Rain checks are not available at this time. Thanks for visiting.
Don't back-slide now. Try to keep up the adult facade. It becomes you.

jess
Old 06-12-2005, 07:57 AM
RC-Captain

That should be easy to do I look like I am 50 years old.