Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiplex 3030 - Need Help with Servo Centering

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 03:04 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Multiplex 3030 - Need Help with Servo Centering

Tobi,

The rudder has two one-position control switches, one at 95% of each direction of control travel. These are input to Log1 with the OR test, so the output is on if either full left or full right rudder. Elevator rate is set to switch Log1*, effectively inverting the Log1 output as the rate is on if the Log1 output is off. When either full left or full right rudder is used, the Log1 output goes on and therefore the low rate switch goes off.

I wish we could use Log outputs as other Log inputs for then I would input the Log1 output and a control switch on retracts with the AND function in Log2 so that the 3D rate was only active when wheels were up. There we are, I have found a limitation of the 4000! Would love to hear in detail how you created and manipulated the virtual servo so that you could output one Log into another Log switch.

Harry
Old 10-17-2002, 09:20 PM
wildblueyawner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was just browsing the MPX site http://multiplexrc.com and found the 3030 greatly reduced to $350 (a really uplifting discovery considering that I recently paid nearly $600 for mine)

Anyone interested in buying a 3030 might want to take notice.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:22 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry, I paid full retail price for my 4000 and two weeks later I became a dealer. Bummer
Old 10-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Tobias Schlegl

Hi Harry!

Originally posted by HarryC
I wish we could use Log outputs as other Log inputs for then I would input the Log1 output and a control switch on retracts with the AND function in Log2 so that the 3D rate was only active when wheels were up. There we are, I have found a limitation of the 4000! Would love to hear in detail how you created and manipulated the virtual servo so that you could output one Log into another Log switch.
Nothing special i'm sure you did it several times. Maybe i confused you using the wrong terms. Speaking now with the correct terms (i'hd a look on Mike Shellim's pages.
Step 1: Assign a Servomix to that virtual servo with two fixed values as input. Value 1 (+100) active on Log1* and Value 2 (-100) active on Log1. Like Mike described in "Switched Functions using FIXED VAL".
Step 2: Define a control switch Cn on that servo with action point at 0 and use this Cn as input for your Log2.

These two steps seem pretty stupid because they do nothing else than assigning Cn := Log1 but is a workaround since Cn is allowed to be an input for a Log switch.

Tobi
Old 10-18-2002, 05:18 PM
HarryC

Tobias

Well done, it works! Its a bit of a complicated solution but as yet I can't see another way of feeding a Log output to a Log input. You only need one input into the servomix for the virtual servo. The virtual servo's value will alternate between 0 and whatever fixed val is chosen, switched by Logn, so as long as the Cn value is below the fixed val, the virtual servo triggers Cn. Therefore Cn mimics the output of Logn. Cn is then made one of the inputs into Logx, along with Cx which comes off the retracts, using the AND operator, the elevator rate is switched by Logx. Now the rudder will only trigger the 3D rate when the undercarriage is up, the model remains in permanently low rate when the wheels are down no matter what you do with the rudder.

Are the rest of you keeping up?! What I am trying to achieve is this-
IF (full right OR full left rudder) AND retracts up THEN low rates off, ELSE low rates on.

We start the same way as already described using C1 and C2 at +95% and -95% rudder as inputs to Log1 using OR. I want to feed the Log1 output, plus the retract condition into Log2 using AND, then use that as the rate switch. Retract condition is set to C4 at 0%, i.e. midpoint. I want C3 to mimic the output of Log1 because the Log 2 input can not read a Log output but it can read a C output. If only a C switch could read a Log but it can't so we use a virtual servo controlled by the Log1 output and set C3 to read the virtual servo's position. Even in PPM9 mode, servos 10-12 can still be assigned and act as virtual servos. So, assign servo 12 to Fixed Value, it is in the menu after the AUX controls. Now go to menu 1, servos, travel/curve, and set servo 12 to be switched by Log1, and its value to be a decent number, say +50%. Now when you use full rudder, virtual servo 12 moves to its fixed value. Set C3 to servo 12 at some number below the fixed value, 0 would do. Now, back to Log2, input C3 and C4, use AND, go to elevator control and set rate to Log2*.

There might be an easier way of disabling the rate if wheels are down, but this method really proves that there is a way to output one Log switch into another. Now we can combine Log switches into complex functions. The use of virtual servos may also come in handy for something else.

Harry
Old 10-19-2002, 06:28 PM
quietflyer

Default Multiplex service issues

for Rein --- I had problems with my 3030 right after I bought it and wound up sending it back and forth to the serviceman in Arizona (who I would recommend without hesitation) for 6 months before we finally got the problem resolved ---

I am just curious to know what the problems were with regards to your new radio. Did Multiplex USA pick up the tab on shipping, assuming all the repairs were done under warranty? Still a pain, considering it is a brand new radio. If you don't feel comfortable posting a reply, send me a pm.

Thanks

Quietflyer
Old 10-20-2002, 12:30 AM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

I installed it in a Tiger 2 because it was a brand new radio and very different from the Futaba I had been using. I had intended to install it in a 1/4 scale CAP. Anyway, the T2 rolled over on takeoff (after a good range check) and crashed. I believe I sent the radio back 6-7 times. Ernie (the service rep) replaced a filter in the receiver, replaced the receiver, and basically tore his hair out. He would install my RF module in his radio and it flew his aircraft fine. Once I got it back, it would not fly without glitching if I used the original MPX Mini 9 receiver. Funny thing was, it worked fine with a Hitec receiver. Huh? Anyway, finally my transmitter gave up the ghost and started displaying an "Achtung! Return transmitter to MPX service!" type of message. After that final trip, the set worked fine. Ernie and I still don't know what was the problem, but he suspects a software glitch of some kind. A little spooky, but has been trouble free since. They picked up shipping after the first two trips back to Arizona, but only after I asked. Honestly, with all that happened, if I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought a JR. But you can't beat an MPX for flexibility. I've read recently that Hitec digital servos don't play well with non-Hitec receivers, so I guess you pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Rein
Old 10-20-2002, 01:11 AM
quietflyer

I am glad your radio is finally working, Rein. After 7 years with a Futaba 8UAF and running out of memory I finally decided to upgrade to a MPX mc4000 Tx.,which I received recently. I am still trying to familiarize myself with the programming aspects. I am seriously contemplating getting into scale gliders in the near future, but for now I'll be using it for the MPX Bonito glider using a Futaba Rx.,and MPX servos.
So far, I've noticed that Menu 3 doesn't correspond to the screen on the instruction manual. Instead of COMBISW, FLIGHTMODE, OP. TIME, BASE TYPE , my screen display only shows COMBISW, COPY, FLIGHTMODE . Any suggestions on how to get the original screen would be much appreciated.
Ernie was indeed a pleasure to deal with, as I had to have a shift switch installed. Service was prompt and shipped out as promised.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:50 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

If your just getting into a Multiplex, I would suggest two things. Go to www.topica.com and search on "profi". There you will find a mailing list for profi users that you can join or just browse. Invaluable tool as the distributor is no help on technical programming questions. He even forwards email that he receives to the list for help. The other resource is www.rc-soar.com. Mike Shellim has posted an excellent 3030 guide that helps with the 4000, as well as specific 4000 tips also. Good luck.

Rein
Old 10-20-2002, 05:28 PM
HarryC

Originally posted by quietflyer
So far, I've noticed that Menu 3 doesn't correspond to the screen on the instruction manual. Instead of COMBISW, FLIGHTMODE, OP. TIME, BASE TYPE , my screen display only shows COMBISW, COPY, FLIGHTMODE . Any suggestions on how to get the original screen would be much appreciated.
Quietflyer, your radio is OK. What you have is ver2 software installed, but a ver1 manual! You should have found a lot of crucial things are quite different to the manual. Being complete cheapskates when it comes to manuals, Mpx did not publish a ver2 manual, but added a supplement detailing the changes. Ask your country's distributor for the supplement. You really do need it. I did find it published as a pdf document on a website not long ago but I can't find it again, sorry!

Hold down the M button as you switch on, it goes into a separate menu system, there are 3 menus accessed with the + button, you will find the Op Time in there now.

There is a summary of ver2 software at http://www.delemarre.cistron.nl/id65.htm
which might help while you await the full supplement.

Harry
Old 10-20-2002, 07:54 PM
quietflyer

Thank you , gentlemen, for all your replies. I'm sorry I drifted off -topic a bit. I haven't spoken to Karlton yet, but yes, I do have a lot of questions for him !
Old 10-20-2002, 10:21 PM
HarryC

Quietflyer I found the ver2 software supplement!

Go to http://www.rcpages.com/docs/ and follow the link for supplement for software version 2. Unfortunately it is scans, not pdf, and there are a lot of them but you can now see exactly how your version of the 4000 works.

Harry
Old 10-20-2002, 10:58 PM
Forgues Research

Harry,
How can I know which version 1 or 2 that I have? And if I have version 1 how can I upgrade to version 2?
Thanks
Old 10-21-2002, 06:55 AM
HarryC

Roger,

If you watch carefully while it is booting up, I think it flashes the message ver1 or ver2 across the screen for a fraction of a second. Easier way is go to menu 3. If it has 4 options like the manual says as per quietflyers post, you have ver1. If it has 3 options, like quietflyers Tx has, it is ver2. The missing option is the Op Time, confirm this by going into the boot up menus and if the Op Time is in the boot up menus you have ver 2.

But that is not the only difference. The ver 2 supplement is something like 19 pages. Ver 2 is definitely different to ver 1, it is not just a tiny tweak. If you have the MC4000 manual and you follow it, you can not get started if you have ver 2 software, even the method of accessing and using basemodels is different and in different menus. If your Tx behaves as per the manual, (and you will know about it pretty quick since you can or can’t get started depending on which software is installed), then you have ver1. I don’t know when the change to ver2 was implemented.

I do not know about upgrading, you will have to ask Mpx direct.

Harry
Old 10-21-2002, 08:12 AM
Forgues Research

Thanks Harry, I'll check it out and see what it says.
Old 10-21-2002, 11:04 AM
Gary Retterbush

Harry is correct, the very bottom line will display the version number when you turn it on but don't blink!

I bought my 4000 on 30 October 1997 and it is version 2. As I recall, it had just recently come out when I got mine. I can't imagine anyone having the old version on any transmitter sold in the past few years.

Gary
Old 10-21-2002, 11:18 AM
Forgues Research

I will check it today, but since I bought mine in 1999, it probably is version 2.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2002, 10:05 PM
BernieG

Default Re: Re: Mpx RoyalEvo

Originally posted by aerografixs

The reason they won't be offered in the 72 Mhz band is there is not enough demand for that band here in North America. People are still stuck on Japonese radios.
Roger, I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that MPX lab was unable to get the precision they wanted in a scanner in 72Mhz, and that's why the 4000 72 do not have this option, but obviously I could be wrong...

Bernard
Old 10-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Forgues Research

Default Re: Re: Re: Mpx RoyalEvo

Originally posted by BernieG

Roger, I don't know if it's true, but I have heard that MPX lab was unable to get the precision they wanted in a scanner in 72Mhz, and that's why the 4000 72 do not have this option, but obviously I could be wrong...

Bernard
That could be true, but with my conversation with Norbert Habermann (Multiplex Germany) that is not quite what I gathered.
I hope they do come out with them though!!!