Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Which one to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:17 AM
markmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one to use?

OK, here's where I'm at...

I don't have a lot of time to fly, so it will only be occassionally. Also, because of my hectic lifestyle (two jobs and four kids) that has frequent interruptions (those with kids will know what I mean ), I think I'm ruling out using LiPo's for batteries simply because I get to easily distracted and would not want to forget to store them, or charge them, properly.

So I'm left with using Nicd or NiMh batteries. I've done a search and tried to figure out the best way to go, but I'm still unclear.

I have a Futaba 6YG radio, an AstroFlight 020 803G motor (with ESC) and they will be used with a House of Balsa 47" (1/10 scale) P51 Mustang.

Which batteries does anyone recommend? NiCd's or NiMh's? The 803G has a voltage range of 6 to 12 volts and a Control Rating of 25 amps continuous. I will be using an APC 9X6 prop.

I'm not that concerned with extremely long flight times as we will never be flying all afternoon or evening. If I got two batteries, we'd probably only fly for maybe 15 minutes off each battery if possible as the huge park we have is practically in our backyard.

At some point we will probably go LiPo, but for now we just want something simple to use, charge and store.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which one to use?

If it's between the NiMH and Nicads, I'd go with NiMH because for the same capacity, they are lighter.

I'd consider using Lipo though, especially since you seem to be going that way anyway. Once a Lipo is fully charged, it pretty well stays that way. NiMH's will begin to self discharge once you take them off the charger. If you don't fly much, you'll definitely need to repeak your packs before you go flying.

You are a new member at RCU. Would this be your first plane?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 PM
markmm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which one to use?

Thanks.

This is my first "built from scratch" plane.

I haven't flown in over twenty years...and even then it was just my friend's planes.

I'm building the P51 more as a scale model...flight ability is a bonus.

I'm well aware of it's idiosynchrosies as a low wing warbird however.