Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

TowerPro MG995 Servo, anyone try these? Coreless digitals, for 20.00...

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

TowerPro MG995 Servo, anyone try these? Coreless digitals, for 20.00...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TowerPro MG995 Servo, anyone try these? Coreless digitals, for 20.00...

i'd venture to say that there are very few in air failures if any that people have suffered. how many servo failures did you find out about before you managed to get off the ground? i would say its very unlikely that you wouldn't have found a problem before taking flight. Have you ever had a confirmed loss in air due to servo failure?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: TowerPro MG995 Servo, anyone try these? Coreless digitals, for 20.00...

I had an MG995 fail in the air (on the rudder of my Katana). Fortunately it simply died while centered so I was able to land safely. However, if it had died while I was doing a hi-alpha knife-edge (with nearly full rudder applied) the results would almost certainly have been much different.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 AM
GotSky

Stay away from these servos[:@]... The price might look good and you might think o-well just how bad can they be, I'll find something to use them in.... DON'T. They are a complete waste of money. I bought some just for testing purposes. They spike, do not center, cause feed back, and are no where near their listed torq output rating. I had 5 of them brand new in the bag that I could not give away at the field after showing my fellow club members just how bad they were.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Probably OK for car & truck use, but definately not for R/C aircraft. Centering and resolution are the worst I've ever seen. I've got 2 unused, for sale cheep if you wantem.
Z
Old 02-09-2008, 01:42 PM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

not even for a car, those things are trash, [:'(] there is a guy selling Hextronics someting like that here in RCU they are the same thing stay away from those also
Old 02-21-2008, 06:31 AM
UH60 Crewdog

Just picked up 4 of these servo's today. Have not checked torque but I can say they are strong. They ARE labled DIGI High-Speed. I say what the heck I'm gonna try them in a gasser Giles 202 120 size. I will report back whether I have a plane or scrap wood when I'm done. So far looks like like there gonna be just as good as any off brand like towerhobbies. Got 4 for $45 S&H and all.
The Asian markets lead the world in robotic technology so if they were not good last year chances are they are improved now just to keep up with the lower end competitors.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 AM
bob21
My Feedback: (11)

let me know how they work out thank you
Old 03-30-2008, 04:52 PM
wake2ride

TowerPro MG995 Servo I have 6 of them and I would never buy them again. They oscillate or twitch at times and they make allot of electrical noise. I bought them thinking they're a great deal at $10-$14 a piece off ebay, I guess you get what you pay for. I have no way to measure their torque they seem pretty powerful. They'd be ok for a large high wing model or some science project, if you're ok with the odd tweak almost like a slight hit. DO NOT USE FOR PRESESSION! My servos actually had a sticker on the packaging saying "Passed" I would imagine that's because quality control inspection. GO figure!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Xtreme1976

Are they Digital or not , someone said yes , anyone can confirm!!?%? thanks.
`
ìm talking about the towerpro mg995
Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 AM
sweli
My Feedback: (7)

I tried two of the MG995 servos in an 1/8 scale crawler project.
I have not used them a lot so far but:
- 8 batt cycles
- running straight 7.2v (no smoke yet)
- Torqueeeee - moves 40series moabs at a standstill on cement, carpet, etc
- on rocks, my suspension and tires give before the servo does.
- Noisy - hums at varying freqs
- twitch at neutral

I had a stand alone BEC providing 6v 3a, but I think the BEC was hesitating when at full throttle (turning, punch throttle, kept turning even if I didn't want to)
I removed the BEC from the circuit and pigtailed in straight 7.2v through a pigtail harness, only to the MG995 servos on the front and rear axles. WOW the torque is great! (BTW, my ESC provide the trans servo and Rx the 6v it likes)

tesla_electronics on E-b-a-y has these, 2 for $20 + $3.70 shipping!!

Hard to find the MG996R's? Anywhere in US? Found them on French E-b-a-y and a French site Hobbycity.com for $11
Anyone know a source like that in the US?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 AM
JCDHeli

his site has them in stock the MG996R
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...aircraft_servo
Old 05-24-2008, 12:02 PM
FREDERIC 2K5

hello, I tried these ( tower pro 996 )on my receiver FUTABA 608 and they do not work on channels, 6 7 and 8, by cons on the other channels no problem

Frederic
Old 05-24-2008, 03:40 PM
XJet
Banned

I'm in the process or reviewing the 996R for RCModelReviews. That review will be up next week.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:38 PM
sweli

ORIGINAL: JCDHeli

his site has them in stock the MG996R
http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...aircraft_servo
Has anyone in US, ordered from HobbyCity.com?
During checkout, their normal shipping came up $7+, but did not explain what mode of shipping it was. Airmail was $18. Based on that, seems this is coming from France or other European country which makes me wonder how slow the $7 shipping is going to be.

I'll wait and read XJet's review first.

The 995s are working fine in a crawler. The twitch and hum are there, but no big deal in this monster. Wanted to have a spare around because of all the forum messages stating the 50/50 chance of them burning up quick due to bad PCB's or bad PCB mounting/placement.

thx
Old 05-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Just got my first 995 failure today. I have about 50 flights in a 74 inch yak at 12 lbs. The housing broke. I caught it on the ground after flight, three more up and down deflections in the elevator and the servo failed in full up.....yeowww.

I will have to go back and inspect the others, I have 4 of them in a 60cc yak, 4 in another 74 yak (two total) and 5 in a Mojo. No other problems yet. In all fairness I may have struck the tail when close to the ground at the Nall but the top of the housing certainly broke on the servo.

The servos are strong and do not center well but by the time I was up in the air I could tell little difference over the 79 dollar other brand. I did have to change the expo's more to make the near center feel as good. Also being metal gear all the way down they do get tight and can be hard to exercise when no power to them on occasion.

If the 996 solves the centering problem they might be worth the money.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:35 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My preliminary tests indicate that the 996 has much less overshoot around center than the 995. I'll be inspecting the rest of the servo and its performance before saying it's that much 'better" than the 995 though. Another area that has caused problems with the 995 is the feedback pots that seem to wear prematurely - but this could be a side-effect of all the overshoot and oscillation.

Stay tuned... full review to come.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:56 PM
balsabuster2003

Good work XJet! We appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:50 AM
FREDERIC 2K5

Hello;
I tried my extra 300 patty Wattgaft GREAT PLANES with servos 996 Tower Pro, the result is perfect. ( engine DA50 )

I installed 2 servos in the wings, the reactions of my planes are vivid and accurate.

I use a receiver futaba 608 rf to 2.4 ghz (module TM 8 on transmiter ), I connected a Y connector on channel 1 because I can not use the channels 6.7 and 8, servos are ineffective on these channels!!(cahnnels 2 and 5 for élévateur)

Fred

PS: Sorry for my English.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:43 PM
sweli

ORIGINAL: FREDERIC 2K5

Hello;
I tried my extra 300 patty Wattgaft GREAT PLANES with servos 996 Tower Pro, the result is perfect. ( engine DA50 )

I installed 2 servos in the wings, the reactions of my planes are vivid and accurate.

I use a receiver futaba 608 rf to 2.4 ghz (module TM 8 on transmiter ), I connected a Y connector on channel 1 because I can not use the channels 6.7 and 8, servos are ineffective on these channels!!(cahnnels 2 and 5 for élévateur)

Fred

PS: Sorry for my English.
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the information. Don't worry about your English, it was great. Internet is a pretty cool tool, that so many of us with common interests can communicate in this way.

BTW, is Hobbycity.com in France or other European country? Have you ordered from them? Some say their customer service is not very good?
Thanks Fred.

Sweli
Old 05-26-2008, 07:07 PM
XJet
Banned

Hobby City (formerly United Hobbies) is in HongKong.

Their customer support and service is a little bit hit and miss.

I've ordered from them about half a dozen times and two orders were problematic. I'm still owed stuff that I doubt I'll ever get but you pay your money and take your chances.

I'm happy to buy small things (for not much money) from them but I wouldn't even think about buying some of their more expensive items in case the order went wrong or I needed customer support.

As they say, you get what you pay for (or sometimes you get something that's nothing like what you paid for).

A mate of mine has several dud receivers and a box of switches that are nothing like what were advertised and pictured on the site. Unfortunately, because returns have to be done using tracked mail, it's just not worth returning them for a refund.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
FREDERIC 2K5

Hello Swely;
thank you for the message!
I ordered my servos directly at Hobby City in Hong Kong and the expedition was very fast, no problem, the service is very fast.(10 days Hong Kong to France)

The problem is that my pro tower 996 servos are inoperative on chanel 6.7 and 8 on my receiver 608 fs futaba.

For example, if I connect my servos Hitec 5985 mg (digital) everything is perfect!chanel 6.7 and 8 are OK

Someone there a return of experience with this material, or an answer to my problem?

Thank you
Frédéric
Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

ORIGINAL: Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway

Just got my first 995 failure today. I have about 50 flights in a 74 inch yak at 12 lbs. The housing broke. I caught it on the ground after flight, three more up and down deflections in the elevator and the servo failed in full up.....yeowww.

I will have to go back and inspect the others, I have 4 of them in a 60cc yak, 4 in another 74 yak (two total) and 5 in a Mojo. No other problems yet. In all fairness I may have struck the tail when close to the ground at the Nall but the top of the housing certainly broke on the servo.

The servos are strong and do not center well but by the time I was up in the air I could tell little difference over the 79 dollar other brand. I did have to change the expo's more to make the near center feel as good. Also being metal gear all the way down they do get tight and can be hard to exercise when no power to them on occasion.

I found the reason the housing broke. I had adjusted my endpoints before flight and did not notice that I was over driving them and they were pushing on the fuse at full up deflection. I put another servo of the same in there with correct adjustment and will see how it lasts.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 PM
blanchjd

FWIW, I've been very pleased with the TowerPro MG996R servos bought at Hobbycity:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=6221
I have them installed in my 1/8th scale Ofna Buggy. Gobs of torque, plenty fast, and they seem pretty accurate to me. I just ordered 2 more for a friend to install in his RTR Ofna. I doubt I'd put them in any of my planes, though. They are too heavy for my applications.

-Jeff
Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: blanchjd
I doubt I'd put them in any of my planes, though. They are too heavy for my applications.
Yep, these are by far and away the heaviest standard-sized servo I've ever seen.

If you plan to put them in the tail of a plane you should be advised that they'll definitely have an effect on the CG when compared to other brands of hi-torque metal-geared servos.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 AM
dongyanghk

If you guys think the price is reasonable,I think you can get this http://www.dys.hk/ProductShow.asp?ID=368
they are even cheaper,but absoluely better than TP high torque servo.I admit that they have really good
and reasonable price in the past few years,but now they don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.