Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hobbico Servos? Is the saving worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 03:30 PM
sahatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico Servos? Is the saving worth it?

I recieved a Great Planes Ultimate Bi-Plane ARF from my wonderful wife for Christmas. In the instructions it calls for higher torque servo's than what I have or usally deal with I spent some time online looking at all the different servos that would fit the application. I'm not rich so the idea of spending $50.00 plus on each of the 8 servos that I need is a little out there. I have seen some Hobbico servos that seem as though they would be fine, most of the servos that I am considering are 25% stronger than what's recommended. The hobby dealer said " I won't use them." but he's an Airtronic's fan and has more $ than I.

Does anyone out there have any imput than may assist me in my discision making?
I probably could afford to buy the more expensive servo's, but why?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:36 AM
micsrcfn

Default RE: Hobbico Servos? Is the saving worth it?

Hi sahatch,

I have always done the overkill thing, on the premise that "rather safe than sorry". I always use a servo that is a little bigger AND faster. If I can afford the coreless, I will do that as well. Not that I am going to put 200 inch pound servo's in place of 42 in. ounce, but I will use say 90 in. ounce coreless in a plane that weighs @ 8 lbs. I was told that that was overkill, but the security of the "faster better", was worth the price to me. As it was I got 1,331 flights out of the Extra 230 Ace 1/4 scale plane.

But if you are only in the beginning stages of the hobby, then maybe it would be too much. It just depends on what you want the plane to do!

Mic
Old 12-27-2005, 10:15 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

I've used some of the Tower servos in boats and planes because I too can't see spending $50 plus on servos. They've been fine. I can't answer about specific Hobbico servos, but I know that the Tower servos and receivers I bought were dead ringers for Futabas. I think I've seen comments that Hobbico branded servos also come from Futaba, but I couldn't cite any quotes.

Another option is to watch places like Servo City. They run good sales occasionally.

Also remember that you don't need the high torque servos on every channel. You might spring for the better ones where it really matters and save a bit on some of the other places. If this plane is just for sport flying, you may not see much value in expensive servos. OTOH, more expensive servos will give you faster speeds and better centering, which will be a big help if you want precision.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:18 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: sahatch

I recieved a Great Planes Ultimate Bi-Plane ARF from my wonderful wife for Christmas. In the instructions it calls for higher torque servo's than what I have or usally deal with I spent some time online looking at all the different servos that would fit the application. I'm not rich so the idea of spending $50.00 plus on each of the 8 servos that I need is a little out there. I have seen some Hobbico servos that seem as though they would be fine, most of the servos that I am considering are 25% stronger than what's recommended. The hobby dealer said " I won't use them." but he's an Airtronic's fan and has more $ than I.

The Hobbico servos are probably made in the same factory as the other servos. I am told that GWS makes a lot of servos for other people. The reason they are cheaper is they are bought in a large lot and Hobbico is passing the savings along to you.
PS I don't work for Hobbico
Old 12-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used some of the Hobbico servos and they are perfectly fine for what I use them for. The ones I have are either rebadged Hitecs or a very good copy. The standard Hobbico servos I've seen look just like a Futaba. So I would say to use the servo that fits your budget and is suitable for your application, and don't worry about the sponsored pilots that only run "X" brand servos in his TOC plane.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody tried aftermarket servo arms on the hobbico, tower, cirrus and such servos. Wonder what fits what.
Edwin
Old 12-27-2005, 08:47 PM
R.Robinson
Banned

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: sahatch

The Hobbico servos are probably made in the same factory as the other servos. I am told that GWS makes a lot of servos for other people. The reason they are cheaper is they are bought in a large lot and Hobbico is passing the savings along to you.
PS I don't work for Hobbico

Hobbico and Tower servos are made by HITEC. Look at the spec charts in the tower talk flyer on simular servos by hitec. I found this out when I wanted gears for a 805 servo (TS 80).SAME.
GWS servo are at the bottom of the barrel with blue bird servos.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:33 PM
RSPepper

Mic,

My name is Bob Pepper and I have recently obtained a significant number of airplanes and kits from a fabulous modeler. After 50 + years of flying and building he decided to reduce his inventory due to health and other reasons. One of the kits, not yet built, is the Ace R/C Extra 230. The manual/plans are missing. You seem to have such a plane. Could I obtain/purchase a copy of the manual/plans from you so I could construct this airplane. I am new to RC Universe so I hope this works. I may not yet know how to look for a reply so may I ask you to email me at [email protected] with your response. Thank you in advance
Old 01-09-2006, 09:12 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??? My Great Planes 40-size Ultimate Bipe kit instructions call for four standard servos. Is the ARF version different?