Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec optic 6 run time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 09:52 PM
c hardy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec optic 6 run time.

Hello.
I just purchased a hitec optic radio ( first computer radio )
When i first turned it on Battery volts were 10.8 I proceeded to start to program one of my planes but the battery went dead (warning beeps )
in approx 15 mins. I replaced the battery with a fully charged one same size / part # from my laser 6. it went dead in 30 - 40 mins.
I fully charged origional battery 12-14 hrs (manual does state 15hrs) noted the time, extended antenna, and proceded to try to program my other planes but in 1 hour, 2minutes battery was dead (warning beeper) and at 9.2 or 9.3 volts.
both batteries, have the approx same run time in the optic but seem to last for many hours in my laser.
Is this normal run time for this radio ????

Not happy with this cant fly for an afternoon like that.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:44 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hitec optic 6 run time.

Toss the standard POS 600mAH nicad and get a decent NiMH pack of at least 1650 or 2200mAH.

They can be had for a song these days and will give you a whole weekend's flying on a single charge.

The Optic 6 itself doesn't have a particularly high current consumption but if you've also got the Spectra module that will effectively double the drain.

I don't know why companies like Hitec continue to supply 21st century transmitters with 20th century battery packs. I don't know of anyone who hasn't had to toss the standard pack and buy a *decent* one in order to engjoy a full day's flying.

If they're worried that by spending an extra $20 on a decent transmitter pack that their gear will become too expensive then at least they should offer it without a battery so that we don't end up having to pay for something we won't be using.