Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

NEW Futaba 12 Channel radio?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default NEW Futaba 12 Channel radio?

I posted some info on the jet section but now that I need some answers on the 14MZ (how to transfer models from WC II to 14MZ) I came here and figure I post it here to.

Well today the rumor has been spreading Futaba now has a 12 Channel radio the 12-Z there was a flyer that was getting passed around by Great Planes Reps and I was there to be the fly on the wall. price was said to be around the $1200 range with the same as the 14MZ (Radio, Receiver, and charger) no servos or anything else. Maybe this time they can actually include a hard copy of the manual or at least give me a BINDER to put the manual in and not the loose sheets that came with the 14MZ. Same look and feel of the 14MZ but two less channels and of course less functions. Well anyone want to buy my JR 10 channel with Synthesizer module and Synthesizer receiver? email me

12 Z avaialble date was ????

Turbulence
Old 02-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: NEW Futaba 12 Channel radio?

Can't help with the model transfer from your 9Z to the 14MHz, but my somewhat limited past experience would say you're out of luck on that one.

As for the new radio, they are on the European websites in the appropriate frequencies but the "Evil Empire" is not saying anything about them. No acknowledgment that they are in Europe, no information on if or when it might come out here in 72MHz. For what it's worth, I used a currency converter and found the asking price on the European sites to be about $1850 US. The price may include the VAT tax, I didn't really pursue it that far since there wasn't an English language version of the websites I checked so I can't say. That price is a long way from what you heard, but if true might actually be a viable alternative to the now discontinued 9Z. IF it's actually in the $1800 range, I'll be going to the 14MHz if my WCII quits...
Old 02-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ralph,

Listed at Tower Hobbies:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&;I=LXLXU3&P=0

$1499 Late March. So figure around June

Rick
Old 02-15-2006, 04:39 PM
bdavison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FEATURES: Dial-N-Key jog dial with joy stick button allows cursor movement in
four directions for very user friendly programming
Supports nine flight conditions
YAY!!!!
Stores memory for up to fifteen models
Total switch customizing capability
R5014DPS Receiver
By using state-of-the-art Ball Grid Array (BGA) layered PC board
technology, the 12ZAPs R5014DPS 14-channel synthesized receiver is
the world's smallest. All pilots will appreciate how easy its
WFSS (Wireless Frequency Setting System) makes changing
frequencies at busy airfields. It can be done right from the
transmitter without changing crystals.

Cool, but wish it was spread spectrum

Servo Grouping
Multiple servos controlling a single function can be set up
through the transmitter and then plugged into differently
adjustable receiver channels (even non-consecutively) without
needing a separate servo synchronizer for mixing.
Dual Internal Processors allow one processor to be devoted to flying
flying functions while the other processor focuses on non-flight
functions such as input and communications
7.4V 2200mAh Lithium Ion transmitter battery (FUTM1475) for long
operating times

Its about time!!!!!!
PCM G3 2048 resolution is "backwards compatible" with 1024 PCM, and
FM/PPM
Quad-Bearing Gimbals for smoothest motion and response, stick tension
and detent are adjustable
Seven color LED indicator

INCLUDES: 12ZAP Transmitter
R5014DPS Receiver (FUTL7700)
7.4V Lithium Ion Transmitter Battery
NiCd 1500mAh Receiver Battery
Lithium Ion Transmitter Battery Charger
Wall Charger for Receiver Battery
Old 02-15-2006, 08:43 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Thud_Driver

Listed at Tower Hobbies:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&;I=LXLXU3&P=0

$1499 Late March. So figure around June

Rick
Well... how about that? What was it? Two weeks, tops, when someone was asked point-blank about this and replied "We know nothing!" ???

I'll pass on this one. Too much dinero for what you're not getting. If my 9Z pukes early, I'll buy a couple of reversing Y-harnesses and use my grandson's 7C until SS gets mainstream or I decide to buy something else.

I'm tired of these hide-n-seek games. I'll spring the big bucks for a secure freq, if that becomes a reality. But I'm done with the "features race". I really like my 9Z; but once its history, no more "fancy" radios for me, unless its spread spectrum or whatever they call secure frequencies.

Old 02-16-2006, 03:05 AM
NdFrSpeed

Yes,i agree Futaba went off the deep end on this one,,you can bet alot are going to wait for Spread Spectrum,,or keep there old 9Z's or switch to JR...You would think a company would pole the market first,,,i know theres not that many 14's being sold,,what makes them think,they will do any better with this,,so much for Futaba,,time to switch i guess,,

NdFrSpeed
Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I guess I prefer how others comment just by saying that they can't talk about it.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:38 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell
But I'm done with the "features race". I really like my 9Z; but once its history, no more "fancy" radios for me...
No more "fancy" radios for me either. My 6EXA does everything I need!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:26 PM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

I like my 6EXA too....but limited on model memory [&o]
Old 02-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: NdFrSpeed
,,i know theres not that many 14's being sold,,
I am curious how you "know" this?? Can you elaborate? Are you on the inside of Futaba and know the sales figures??

Also, as far as SS goes, while it looks to be the coming thing, I do not see that anyone else has a leg up here. Sure Horizon is distributing the Spektrum, and I suspect that the BIG 3 will have SS once it is proven technology that works for all RC applications. Which is not currently the case or Horizon/Spektrum would not say to keep it to park flyers.

Also, it would not surprise me one little bit to see both the 14 and 12 be SS ready once the modules and RXs are available. But I also would not be surprised to see that be over a year or more away. I suspect that Spektrum will also be close to year or more before they release their full service system.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:34 PM
rockom
My Feedback: (2)

It's going to be a while on SS. The Spektrum product is getting hopes up.
SS will require more than a "different" module. It would require opening the case and making a few replacements in addition to a module.
I doubt at this stage you would get an SS module for an existing radio without sending in your radio for upgrade. $$ $$ $$

-Rocko
Old 02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Just saw the 12ZAP on TowerHobbies too. This is actually much closer to what I had originally expected from Futaba as the 9Z replacement. The 14MZ is just too much - price, features, gimmics, everything - good for Futaba's bragging rights and not much else.

I like the "relatively" no-frills approach of the 12Z better, and I can definitely use the extra channels and the flight conditions. However, I'm not sure they are worth paying more than $1000 over a 9C. I think Futaba missed the target yet again with this 12Z. For most RCers, a $1500 TX is still just as unreachable as a $2100 one. What would have been a much better fit between 9C and 14MZ is a $750 12C. Now that would be something I don't mind upgrading to from my 9C.

As for SS, I'm not quite as enthusiastic about it for general RC airplane use. I've converted all 5 of my big RC cars to Spektrum RXs for a while now (my TX is a Futaba 3PK with Spektrum module) and I love it. I can turn on my 3PK, then turn on any one of my cars and - voila - I'm ready to go. However, I've got some 10-15 airplane RXs, FM and PCM on 50MHz. To replace them all would be quite an expense. Besides, I've had no interference issues on 50MHz anyhow. Even if SS does become prevalent for RC airplanes, I might just keep flying on my old RXs, because there will be less modelers flying on the traditional RC frequency bands.