Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Microstar Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LATEST UPDATE on MY first MicroStar KNOBBY radio...

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE here once more-and since my MicroStar is now FULLY WORKING , with TWO Ace RC FM RF decks in there (one Ham and one 72 MHz), it's on its way to Joe DuMond in Texas to get the two RF decks changed to channels 03 and 47, from 53.6 MHz and channel 44 respectively...and with FOUR receivers (two Ace ProStar 8 channel Rx-es on 53.6 MHz-both have FMA Ch.03 crystals for them to get installed, and two Hitec "shift selectable" 7 channel Rx-es with Ch 47 crystals ALREADY in them)...and to get that "magic GOLD STICKER" OF NARROWBAND CERTIFICATION!

I just canNOT wait to get it back, although it WILL be something like late May before I get it back from him...in the meantime, I'm saving up to order a SECOND MicroStar encoder in "assembled-and-tested" froim Gordon himself, with the "ALL straight-out" pins on it as I've gotten from him before...THAT second MicroStar encoder order is going out to Gordon around mid-to-late May!

FINALLY...a single stick COMPUTER radio of my VERY OWN, and only the "first one" of FIVE I've got cases and joysticks for! Can't WAIT to get my FIRST one back, and flyin' PLANES with it!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 04-26-2003, 11:44 PM

Default Microstar Conversion

Way Cool Pipe!

My system is with Berg electronics working out an issue or two. Seems the Berg RX may have an issue with the M* RF Deck.

I had it all ready to go and ther was a intermittent glitch where the RX would go failsafe for a while then come back a while later. sometimes several seconds later. Thought this was unsafe.

Using my Kraft Spectrum in the meantime.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:02 PM

Default I'm sticking to JUST "easy to get repaired" Rx-es for MY needs...!

Dear jskrebs:

The PIPE Here again-and I remembered the TON of Email I was getting from the Yahoo Groups MicroStar group about your Berg Rx problems-sorry, but where I STRICTLY stick to purchasing more "easily repaired" Rx-es...those that I well know of as being WELL SUPPORTED here in the US market...I'm just not intending, for my needs, to get any Berg Rx gear, so I've been "deleting" those messages...my sincerest apologies for doing that, and here's hoping you CAN get your Berg Rx serviced all right! It's just that I'm NOT too well informed as to how well the Berg Rx gear is supported as to repairs here in the USA!

I AM using a couple of Ace RC ProStar Ham band receivers, that I got with one of the Ace MicroPro single stick TX-es I obtained off the Internet some four years ago, with the new MicroStar, whenever it's going to be switched to use its newly re-crystalled-to-Ch.03 six meter Ace RC FM RF deck, but my future six meter RX needs will be satisfied with FMA's Quantum-8 Rx-es. For 72 MHz, I've found that the Hitec "shift-selectable" seven channel FM receivers CERTAINLY seem to be rock-solid...I've been using one in my ol' Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 40 for nearly two years now, and with the Ace RC FM RF deck on Ch.40 in my ancient Silver Seven non-computer 'knobby' radio sending the signals to my Hitec Rx, I routinely get an astounding 270 foot ground check range with the antenna screwed into place, but fully COLLAPSED, on that old Ace knobby radio!

You MIGHT want to try purchasing one of the Hitec "shift-selectable" Rx-es yourself, if you find the Berg Rx a bit HARD to get adequately repaired...the Hitec "shift-selectable" Rx sure seems to be a WINNER for my 72 MHz flying needs, and it might satisfy yours as well.

Keep having good luck with your MicroStar!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 06-13-2003, 09:36 PM

Default RE: LATEST update on MY first Knobby MicroStar...!

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN...and as of next Wednesday or Thursday, my MicroStar should be BACK in my hands-and at least "half working"!

I say "half working" as Radio South, which is where I had to send my MicroStar and its FOUR receivers to (Joe DuMond is apparently recovering from illness right now, and I had to get my radio back from him before he went to the hospital-hope he's better now) WAS able to get the MicroStar's Ace Ch.47 FM deck and its pair of Hitec "shift-selectable" seven channel FM receivers all set up just fine...but when it came to the Ham deck that's ALSO in my MicroStar, which has been converted from 53.6 MHz to Ch.03 to avoid possible Ham repeater interference, it turned out that the FMA crystal that was included for the frequency changeover was of a slightly "different" setup that Tony Stillman was used to, so he couldn't get the Ace FM deck, with the FMA crystal, "properly" tuned for use!

Tony recommended that I get in touch with FMA to see if they could do the tuning and matchup on the Ace RC FM Ham deck and Ace ProStar receivers that I shipped out with my MicroStar, and Tim Marks at FMA said it would be no problem at all for him...Tim even said he wouldn't even need my whole MicroStar Tx to do the tuning if the Ham FM deck AND the two ProStar Rx-es! So, while I get a possibly "wonky" Bourns 3852 elevator pot fixed on my new MicroStar (the Ace RC metal gimbal joystick went "wobbly" before I sent it down, and the elevator stick pot seems to be at fault-got replacements waiting here at home to take care of it) and then start actually FLYING with it on Ch.47, since it IS all narrowband certified by Tony for THAT frequency, the "Ham side" of my first MicroStar will be taken care of by FMA, and when THOSE components get set up, I'll have BOTH Ch.03 AND Ch.47 available for use with ONE Tx-with FOUR recievers tuned to it for a good bit-o-flyin' needs!

I've got a bit MORE waiting for my MicroStar to be useful to me-but I've not YET even flown this year yet (danged RAIN up here in New England this Spring-got an ark LOL???) so I'm not in much of a "rush" to get out flying just YET.but soon my MicroStar WILL be flyin' my planes....can't wait for it to get back next week! And just AFTER July 4 this year, I'll be ordering a SECOND "assembled-and-tested" MicroStar board directly from Gordon, for my next knobby MicroStar radio!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 06-14-2003, 11:34 AM

My M* is flying, along with the MiniFlash pictured in my Avatar!.

I installed a FMA RF deck and the Berg Issues went away. I sent the M* RF deck to Gordon for some expert sleuthing. I really think the SMD RF deck is beyond the skill level and tools available to most hobby oriented guys.

The Servo setup and mixing functions are pretty neat and very intuitive once you play around a bit.

This is an awsome winter project and I would recomend it to anyone who likes to build stuff. If I can find a Proline Custom competition TX with cast metal gimbles I will do another one this winter. I might make this one 72 MhZ!

Best Regards,

Jeff Krebs
Old 07-08-2003, 11:15 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default Missing Beeper

jskrebs I looked over your cb on the m2000 and you are missing the beeper. When you push the function button it should beep. You are also missing the jumper just to the lower left of where the beeper should be. This is also the same beeper that will beep on your count down timer. If you use the timer for low fuel you will not get a beep. It must be soldered to the board and the jumper installed. I am sure Marv has the beeper and the jumper is easy enough..

Jim
Old 07-08-2003, 11:33 PM

I have the beeper, and jumper, but it is to tall and hits the back of the case.

I fly electric so when they slow down I land and recharge.

I that picture the jumper for selecting 50 MhZ on the RF deck is also missing.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:39 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default beeper

Glad to know you took it out.. Some as I have been told were sold w/o beeper and could be easily added. Mine did not beep but the jumper was missing. Quick reply from Gordon helped me solve the no beep problem.

Just beeping away.. have fun.. Jim
Old 07-17-2003, 11:42 PM

Default LATEST news on my first MS2K-needs bypass caps on the DUAL RF decks?

Dear Fellow MicroStar Fans here at RCU:

The PIPE here yet again-and I'm lately waiting for Tim Marks to get finished re-crystalling my Ace RC FM Ham RF deck, AND the two Ace RC ProStar receivers I'n intending to use with it, onto channel 03 (50.86 MHz) to use with the similar Ace Ch.47 (72.73 MHz) FM RF deck that's ALREADY in my MicroStar-now here at home waiting FOR that Ham RF deck and its two receivers!

My MicroStar radio is set up with a dual RF deck installation, and I've got a diagram of the "basic" setup, as specified by Ace RC long, long ago...and it's shown with a 4 pole, two position (4PDT) toggle switch doing the honors of switching between the two RF decks. The one on my MicroStar is a LOCKING handle type of toggle switch, where the switch handle HAS to be tugged on and held as it's switched from one position to the other, for safety concerns.

It's just that I've found, with my "dual RF deck" setup, is that the MicroStar SOMETIMES starts up beeping anxiously while in the "run" mode, and I'm beginning to think that my 4PDT "locking toggle" frequency switch MIGHT need some RF bypass caps soldered to it, just as the main power switch in Ace Silver Seven and MicroPro radios have. My MicroStar's VERY unusual combination "OFF-CAL-RUN" 4PDT "three-way" locking toggle switch, which COMBINES the main power and "CAL/RUN" switches into only ONE unit, has got these bypass caps on it. One 0.047 µF cap bridges the plus and minus power terminals that deliver power to the encoder and RF deck setup, and a TRIO of 0.001 µF caps do the bypass duties for the Tx battery's plus and minus connections, AND for the "CAL/RUN" signal line to Tx case ground from the MicroStar board...that LAST cap I mentioned was Gordon Anderson's idea, after I told him about a similar instability existing on my MicroStar when switching from the CAL mode to RUN. I'm thinking of placing a similar 0.047 µF cap across the RF OUT line's plus and minus wire connection onto the frequency band switch, and a pair of 0.001 µF caps from each of those power terminals to ground...JUST like my main power switch has...to squelch the "anxious beeping" from my MicroStar, due to my radio HAVING two RF decks in it!

I've posted a JPEG graphic, at the Yahoo MicroStar forum, specifically at http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...src=gr&.view=t , named "Dual RF Deck Switch Setup.jpg", of how the old Ace RC's dual RF deck switch setup is to be wired, and there's a "sub-graphic" on it showing the numbering of the twelve solder lugs that are on that 4PDT toggle switch used to switch between the RF decks-I'll be referring to those "lug numbers" further on in this message.

I'm NOT quite certain of EXACTLY where the BEST place to hook up the possibly needed bypass caps would be-do I hook up the whole shebang onto the RF deck switch's end of the RF INPUT cable's red and black cables from the encoder, where it connects onto the switch (lugs 2 & 5 for the 0.047 µF cap, and one 0.001 µF cap each from lugs 2 AND 5 to the switch frame)...or should I do up a HALF DOZEN caps (two 0.047 and four 0.001 µF caps) this way, onto each of the RF deck plus and minus power cable connections (at lugs 3 & 6 for the "first" RF deck, and at lugs 1 & 4 for the "second" RF deck) at the switch instead?

I'm just worried about the unconnected RF deck's power cable-the one that's NOT in use at any one time-picking up stray RF emissions inside the MicroStar's case, and causing the encoder output cable to pick up stray RF and confusing the heck out of the MicroStar!

PLEASE-I'll be able to get the 0.001 µF caps on Saturday at a major electronics parts store here in the Boston area-and I'd like to know, IF at all possible, before Saturday morning gets here, just WHAT the BEST way to place these RF bypass caps onto my MicroStar's dual RF deck switch would be, IF it needs them? (I already have five of the 0.047 µF caps...just need some of the "other" value!)

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 03-12-2005, 03:42 PM

Default RE: Microstar Conversion

I have now shipped batch #1 of 25 Microstar Encoder kits and am starting on the next batch #2 of 25. I am doing this at cost to promote Gordon Anderson's MS2K and because I want to. The kit includes all the parts, including the (board), a backlit LCD, extra SPROM for a total of 16 planes, latest level programmed PIC, the two DIN connectors, and matching connectors for your controls. A full bill of material of parts prvided can be emailed if you request one. Total cost is $50.00 postpaid in the USA. How did I get it that low ? Quantity purchases from Digi-Key, some surplus buys, and NO profit for myself. This is to show people they CAN have the latest and best in the RC industry without costing you an arm and leg. It's a great Encoder guys, look it up on Gordon's site at http://mstar2k.com Ask Gordon about it, if you want. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Also working on a RF Module kit and the PulseStar receiver kit when it becomes more defined. Those prices will also be low.

If you are not into kit building (it's really not that difficult ...my opinion) and don't want to try your skills, Marv Jensen of http://jensenjetmodels.com will be more than happy to sell you assembled MicroStar units.

73 Kees K5BCQ
Old 03-13-2005, 08:45 PM

Here are some pictures of the latest MicroStar 2000 Encoder and what the backlit display looks like in bright sunlight (without the backlight) and indoors or in subdued light (with the backlight). Looks good too without the backlight indoors but this is really easy to read.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24413.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	243399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89519.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	243400  
Old 03-21-2005, 11:30 AM

OK I'm ready with 25 MicroStar 2000 (MS2K) Encoder and 15 ICP kits again. First, I would suggest going to Gordon Anderson's web site at http://mstar2k.com to see what this is all about. I am doing this at cost, because I like the design, I want to introduce people to great computer RC radio at LOW cost (including myself), I want to encourage building your own (you learn so much more), and I just want to.

My previous posts here have details of what one of my assembled MS2K Encoder kits and the LCD looks like.

There is group of people on the MP8K Yahoogroups list very familiar with the MP8K and MS2K and they are more than happy to help you out (including myself). I can provide a detailed bill of material of what is provided if you request it. You will be surprised at the low cost but there is NO compromise on part quality. I get there through quantity buys and new surplus parts and there is "$0" personal profit. I'm doing this for the reasons stated above. Future kit runs may vary some in price/content because it depends on what is available.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
MS2K ENCODER KIT ...all the parts to be mounted on the board
Includes:
- Gordon Anderson's PC board
- Varitronics MDLS162S65D-HT-LED04 16x2 backlit LCD
- programmed PIC at the latest level (1.1c for this batch)
- the 2 external DIN connectors from Digi-Key
- mating control cable connectors
- parts from Digi-Key
- new surplus parts
- extra SPROM for 16 plane memory

TOTAL cost including shipping in the USA $50
TOTAL cost with optional LCD bezel in the USA $53

--------------------------------------------------------------
MS2K ICP KIT ....all the parts to be mounted on the board
Includes:
- parts from Digi-Key
- new surplus parts

TOTAL cost including shipping in the USA $12

------------------------------------------------------------
LCD KIT
- Extra backlit 16x2 LCD shown in previous posts, a Varitronics MDLS162S65D-HT-LED04
(this is for upgrading older MS2K units if you want)
- includes new resistors required and header strip

TOTAL cost including shipping in the USA $7
TOTAL cost with bezel including shipping in the USA $10

--------------------------------------------------------------
The RF Module and PulseStar Receiver kits come later

Old 04-22-2005, 08:02 PM

In addition to the MS2K ENCODER KITS, and other kits listed in my previous note, I now have the RF Deck available.

Kees

---------------------------------------------------------------------
MS2K SYNTHESIZED RF DECK KIT ...all the parts to be mounted
on the board for use with the MS2K Encoder. Others are working on
the MP8K programming modifications for use with that Encoder. This
kit does not support standalone use (without the above Encoders)

Includes:
- Fully synthesized with PLL (no crystals to buy)
- APT 2N4427 output transistor, heatsink, and thermal grease
- This is a 6m (ham band) only deck (all R/C 50Mhz and 53Mhz frequencies)
- mating cable connectors
- parts from Digi-Key and Mouser
- new surplus parts

TOTAL cost including shipping in the USA $47

Old 05-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Since I've received a few emails offline, let me post this response.

YES, the thing about the MicroStar 2000 kits designed by Gordon Anderson (see previous notes) is that for less than $100 TOTAL including shipping in the USA ($50 for the Encoder board kit and $47 for the Synthesized RF board kit), you can update an old AM/FM radio and have a modern computer radio. You just build and substitute the MS2K Encoder board with microprocessor and 2 line backlit LCD for the existing older encoder in a Kraft, Heathkit, ProLine, ACE, Futaba, etc and replace the RF Deck with the MS2K Synthesized RF Deck on 6m ham band (50Mhz or 53Mhz). This will also encourage you to get your Tech (no code) License which means you learn even more about your hobby.

Please see the MS2K web site and see just how much function you will have http://www.mstar2k.com

Old 05-15-2005, 09:33 AM
My Feedback: (2)

will the Encoder board work with a standard Futaba RF module???

[:-]
Old 05-15-2005, 11:47 AM

Dear FenceMagnet:

The PIPE here again...and my buddy John Eyer in New York State, HAS gotten a six meter Futaba Tx RF module working JUST FINE with his dual stick MicroStar !!!

PLEASE remember it's ONLY legal to use "differing brands" of encoders and RF modules on the AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE bands for RC in the USA...the 50 and 53 MHz band Amateur Radio Service frequencies...so I'm hoping you've already got, or are about (or planning) to get yourself, a Technician class Amateur Radio, or "Ham" license for yourself.

I haven't tried it myself, but John Eyer sure has...if you'd like his Email, to send him a message asking him about it, I'll ask John if he wouldn't mind first, and THEN I'll "private message" you later (hopefully this Sunday) with his Email address.

It HAS been done successfully, though...but it IS only for the six meter "Ham" band in the USA!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also works fine with the futaba deck on 72mhz and some time soon i'll try it with an airtronics deck too. from pics on the old MP8K site i also ASSume it works good with the hitec spectra

the ones my bro and i fly with both use the FMA decks on 72 mhz just because i know for sure that they are compatible without the need for any test equipment to prove so

dave (overseas and not bound by FCC law...)
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 PM

Let me just restate what The Pipe and Zagnut just said. Just because it will work does not mean you are allowed to do it per our USA FCC rules.

ONLY ham band (50Mhz and 53Mhz) RF decks by any manufacturer are legally allowed with the MicroStar or any other homebrew RC radio for that matter. This also means that you have to have a (no code) Ham radio Tech License or higher (easy to study for and obtain ...see your local Ham clubs).

Zagnut is in Tel-Aviv, Israel so no USA FCC restrictions.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:09 AM

WB2WOY .... got an OLD tech ticket and a slew of Futaba 50 mHz modules, hence the question..... I have an old Royal Omega that I built from a kit some 25-30 years ago.... It has the smoothest most precise sticks (Dunham Metal) you ever felt this side of a ProLine....

Old 05-16-2005, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet

It has the smoothest most precise sticks (Dunham Metal) you ever felt this side of a ProLine....

smooth as in ABEC 5 smooth?....

seriously, if you already have the ham ticket, the modules and a good donor radio then get building. you won't regret it!

for a good understanding of what this radio is capable of see the document called "exploring the microstar" in the download section of Gordon's site www.mstar2k.com

you will also have the support of a great bunch of guys that can answer just about any question you may have about building or programming this great radio

dave
Old 05-17-2005, 07:26 AM

"smooth as in ABEC 5 smooth?.... "

more like ABEC 7 !!

Old 05-23-2005, 08:31 PM

In addition to the MicroStar kits offered in previous notes, I now have the SPROM Expansion kit for those who don't want to just piggy-back the second SPROM for a total of 16 planes, but would prefer a plug-in board. Price is $4.00 postpaid in the USA. If you ordered one of my MS2K Encoder kits previously and already have the second SPROM module, the cost is $3.00 postpaid in the USA without the 93C86 module.

MS2K SPROM EXPANSION Kit

93C86 SPROM module
GAA SPROM Expansion board
the two surface mount components
header connector
Old 05-27-2005, 10:00 PM

I finally got around to putting some pictures and info about the kits on my website. http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/MS2K/MS2K.html It is a little slow in downloading due to all the traffic on QSL.NET

Old 05-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Default RE: GOOD TO HEAR IT...now I've got a "Calibrate Joy Sticks" tip for you...!

Understand you too, are one who believes that you fly airplanes with one stick and drive bulldozers with two...... teeheehee.

Would you have any internal pixs of MS2k single stick conversions?

Have encoder, ICP and RF ready to install but wondering if the MS2K parts will require the old larger Proline case rather than the later small one?

bill
Old 05-30-2005, 04:38 PM

should be some pics of single-stick installations in the file/photo section of the yahoo group

dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.