Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6v regulators

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 03:27 AM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6v regulators

I would like to know who makes a good quality 6v non-switching regulator?

I have heard that the switching regulators can cause interference, but have no real proof of this, if someone could provide me with some insight I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2002, 03:55 AM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

Default 6v regulators

what are you using this on to regulate?
Old 12-19-2002, 03:56 AM
woodscra

Default 6v regulators

batteries
Old 12-19-2002, 03:57 AM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

Default 6v regulators

I figured that,but what are they attached to that you have to regulate the current?
Old 12-19-2002, 03:54 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Default 6v regulators

Craig,

There was a discussion just over the last few days on the Scale Aerobatics list about switching regulators. There was mention regarding actually seeing the differences between a switching and non-switching regulator on a spectrum analyzer. The switching regulator shows a marked increase in noise and interference. There was no mention to the brands that were used for the test.

Going to a non-switched regulator as you suggested is a wise move. I'll try to pull some of the discussions from the archives, and see if I can't glean some names in the process.

What batteries and voltages are you planning on using? 5 cell NiCad/NiMH/Lithium, or Lith in 6v, 7.2v or 14.4v varieties.
Old 12-19-2002, 04:17 PM
woodscra

Default 6v regulators

Li-ion 7.2v.

I am curious just how much interference is generated by these switching regulators. If it is not much, then some distance between them and the RX should take care of any problems.

I would think that people are using switching regulators without problems. I just want to know some kind of data stating just how much difference in interference there is with switching and linear regulators.

Thanks
Old 12-19-2002, 04:59 PM
sfaust

Default 6v regulators

Originally posted by woodscra
Li-ion 7.2v.

I am curious just how much interference is generated by these switching regulators. If it is not much, then some distance between them and the RX should take care of any problems.

I would think that people are using switching regulators without problems. I just want to know some kind of data stating just how much difference in interference there is with switching and linear regulators.

Thanks
Even if the distance were increased, the interference could still have a path to the receiver via the control and/or the power wires, since they all end up at the receiver together. Its best to just eliminate the problem from the start, rather than try to work around the issue.

I'll see if I can't find some hard data on the differences, and what the specifics are in relation to noise, interference, etc. It might take some time though.

The consensus is that non-switched regulators are the preferred method as they are less prone to causing interference issues, but switched regulators do indeed work for most. Maybe Conservative, maybe not.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default 6v regulators

Originally posted by sfaust

Even if the distance were increased, the interference could still have a path to the receiver via the control and/or the power wires, since they all end up at the receiver together.

That's just what I have been trying to get across, If you use optical isolation, and a different battery for the receiver then that of the servos, nothing can ever get back to the receiver hence no glitches.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:33 PM
locoworks

Default regulator.

i was told that most of the 6v regulators available are rated 1 or 2 amps only and that they are overload protected and they protect themselves by dropping the output voltage. volts= current x resistence. in high current manouvres, snaps etc, on a large model with lots of high current servo's working hard it HAS been known for the voltage to drop below that at which the receiver works resulting in a rekitting of the model. this was proved on the ground by applying load to the surfaces with all switched on and the receiver stopped working. when someone brings out a regulator capable of 20 amp current load i will use one. until then i'll get batteries the voltage i need.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: regulator.

Originally posted by locoworks
i was told that most of the 6v regulators available are rated 1 or 2 amps only and that they are overload protected and they protect themselves by dropping the output voltage. volts= current x resistence. in high current manouvres, snaps etc, on a large model with lots of high current servo's working hard it HAS been known for the voltage to drop below that at which the receiver works resulting in a rekitting of the model. this was proved on the ground by applying load to the surfaces with all switched on and the receiver stopped working. when someone brings out a regulator capable of 20 amp current load i will use one. until then i'll get batteries the voltage i need.
Your absolutely right,
I have never used a regulator and don't plan on using one anytime soon either, and I have been at this for a long time.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:27 AM
sfaust

Default 6v regulators

Originally posted by aerografixs

That's just what I have been trying to get across, If you use optical isolation, and a different battery for the receiver then that of the servos, nothing can ever get back to the receiver hence no glitches.
Yes, this is a good application for an isolator, and it's the one I mentioned over in the thread on the I4C isolator. On the other hand, if one uses a non-switched regulator which has no interference issues to begin with, you don't have to accept the higher failure modes of an isolator setup, and could go with a standard configuration. Less connections, less wires, less failure points, less voltage loss, etc. And you wouldn't have to worry about having two separate batteries that can fail and take down your whole system, as you would only have the one battery in a normal one battery one receiver setup.

I should probably also mention, that switching regulators are rumored to have the potential of increased noise issues, but in the same breath, most people don't have these issues when using them. It may be an issue that is prevalent in only specific circumstances.

Why wear a band aid, if you can avoid the cut in the first place.