Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Carden 35% Edge: Servo Torque??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 03:05 AM
rthorne
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carden 35% Edge: Servo Torque??

I'm trying to decide what servo's to put in a Carden 35% edge. For a while I was thinking of JR8411's all around.

But is 155 oz of torque over kill? Would 4721's be plenty at 119 oz's ? I plan on putting two servo's on each aileron, one for each elevator and a pair for the rudder.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:19 AM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Default Re: Carden 35% Edge: Servo Torque??

Originally posted by rthorne
I'm trying to decide what servo's to put in a Carden 35% edge. For a while I was thinking of JR8411's all around.

But is 155 oz of torque over kill? Would 4721's be plenty at 119 oz's ? I plan on putting two servo's on each aileron, one for each elevator and a pair for the rudder.

Thanks.
For what its worth,
I have Multiplex Royal digital all around except rudder and they only have 77oz on 6 volts. Two years now and no problems. Oh yes, it s 33% Extra.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:57 AM
3Dfalcon

I fly alot of 33-35% planes and it all depends on what you are going to be flying like. If you are flying IMAC type stuff then 8411s all around is like you thought might be overkill.But if you are into 3D and want to do walls and blenders then 8411s on the rudder and elevators are a good choice. I am setting up a 35% Fiberclassics extra and I am using 8411s on the tail and 4721s on the wings. I like to fly 3D and SCAT and this should be a good combo. I go to Amarillo 2-3 times a year hunting and woundered where you guys fly.Its pretty windy most of the time Ive been there,must be hard on landings.
Old 12-24-2002, 12:11 PM
rthorne

3DFalcon

Thanks for the info. For right now I'm just sport flying so I'm sure the 4721's would do the job. Since my last post a fella posted brand new 8411's under the 'Radios for Sale' part of rcuniverse at a very good price. Low enough where it makes sense to purchase the 8411's so I'll have them for future needs. I'm hoping to try some basic IMAC this year, we'll see.

We have two clubs in Amarillo. I'm the VP for ARKS (Amarillo Radio Kontrol Society). We have about 70 members of which 20 or so of us are regular flyers.

The wind does cause some problems but you get used to it after a while. As long as its blowing down the runway we'll fly unless it starts approaching 15 to 20mph. Heck I'm not sure how to land without the wind :-).

Anyways your welcome to come to the field anytime, guests are always welcome. Check out our web site, it has a map to the field. The field is located South West of Amarillo.

http://www.airbrushfx.com/arks.htm
Old 12-24-2002, 04:15 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Yeah, Selwyn has them going for 90$ shipped... the 4721s are 85$ from chief.. might as well get the 8411s
Old 12-24-2002, 04:28 PM
rthorne

Selwyn is a good guy. I've been exchanging emails with Selwyn for quite some time now.
Old 12-25-2002, 03:13 AM
dasmith232

A while back I was noticing that a few guys at our flying field were putting (for example) Hitec 605 servos in (almost) everything smaller than a 91-sized plane. Then the same question came up: is it necessary or when is it overkill?

I've found it helpful to answer questions like this with an actual calculation of how much torque is needed. I have found a website that has a simple calculator on it at:

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/eflight/calcs_servo.htm

This type of page can probably be found in a few other places as well.

Additionally, I found a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that is much more complete. I found it at:

http://webpages.charter.net/mediasho...servo-calc.htm

Doing a search on "rc servo calculator spreadsheet" finds these and other neat stuff. (I used www.dogpile.com to find it.)

Dave.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:41 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Originally posted by dasmith232
Additionally, I found a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that is much more complete. I found it at:

http://webpages.charter.net/mediasho...servo-calc.htm

Doing a search on "rc servo calculator spreadsheet" finds these and other neat stuff. (I used www.dogpile.com to find it.)

Dave.
The reference above was to my web page, however, it has moved to its own domain. You might as well reference at the following, and bookmark the correct one;

http://www.giantscalerc.com/technical-servo-torque.htm

The complete web site is at www.GiantScaleRC.com