Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

good/heavy duty servo wire-where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 02:37 AM
fryfly
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good/heavy duty servo wire-where?

would like to know who is using what kind of servo wire,and where to buy what you are using? I have used 22 ga JR wire in the past but seems too expensive unless you buy at swapmeets.any help you guys could give would greately be appreciated. Terry F
Old 12-31-2002, 03:11 AM
fryfly

sorry you are correct,I meant to say 20 ga.JR does make 2 differen't kinds.
We used to buy from radio shack but they don't carry the older 3 wire telephone wire anymore,everything now is 4 wire. I guess I could strip the 4th wire I just prefer using JR wire. Have ordered from DHS in the past but the stuff cost over a buck a foot.Gets a little expensive when all your planes have 10 to 12 feet of wire in them. Thanks Terry F
Old 12-31-2002, 04:01 AM
art43

Default SERVO WIRE

fryfly
Try Peak Electronics Ink, ph.# 888-584-6285. I don't know if they have a web add or not. 22gau twisted 3 color 20strand? bulk wire. I got 100 ft. $37.00,12ft.$5.09.Quick service too.
art43
Old 12-31-2002, 04:07 AM
fryfly

thanks alot art43 that is exactly what I was looking for.Thanks everyone else for your reply's Terry F
Old 12-31-2002, 04:28 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What crimp connectors are you guys using that will properly grab 20ga wire?

Vince
Old 12-31-2002, 04:42 AM
fryfly

I have never used crimps,I only hard wire everything then shrink wrap together. In the past we have noticed that wire on the outside edge of connectors and crimps can eventually fail and or rust and break in 2 if not totally sealed past the point of stripping,especially if wires are left to dangle inside wings or fuselages where one can't quite seem to stabalize them.So me and all the guys I fly with hard wire everything with silver solder then heat shrink everything seperately then one around all.Just a little extra time to ensure good solid break free connections
Old 12-31-2002, 05:08 AM
art43

Default Servo Wire

Same as Fryfly.
art43
Old 12-31-2002, 05:51 AM
fryfly

just thought I would let you guys know that peak electronics is now under sirius electronics. The 2 have merged but now under sirius electronics site. Thanks guys Terry F
Old 12-31-2002, 03:36 PM
Gill

Default Silver Solder?

FryFly,

What is the solder you use, where do you get it?

What are the contents and the percentage of silver?

Does it melt easily with normal solder guns and pencils?
Old 12-31-2002, 03:45 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not need silver solder for this, in fact regular electonic grade solder is better for this use than silver solder. You can get good rosin core solder from a number of sources including Radio Shack. Just don't use acid core or plumbing type fluxes. The main thing with maintaining a good solder connection is to keep the joint area free from vibration as the wire will break at the junction between the wire and solder if it is free to vibrate. That is one reason a crimp connection is much more reliable than a solder joint in most applications.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:59 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I meant by crimp connectors, was the pin connectors that plug in to the RX and servos.

Vince
Old 12-31-2002, 04:30 PM
fryfly

that's the only place I use a connector is at the reciever,you have to plug it in somewhere. I use reg silver solder from radio shack nothing special. The key is to shrink wrap atleast a 1/4 of inch past your stripped wires and then atleast 1/4 inch past all shrink swraps with outside wrap. Secure wire to inside fuse and wing. By using this method it does away with mid wire connections that can come loose or damaged. Also when you need to change or service a servo there is no way to accidentally disconnect wires or plugs inside wings or fuselages that are unseen.
Thid is why I don't agree with crimps and connectors.I do not connect y's either they are also hard wired.The more connectors you can do away with the better,the only place I want to worry about as far as connections goes is at the reciever or your isolator whichever you use.