Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need help with a 4 aileron set-up

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Flyboy1958
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a 4 aileron set-up

I have a bi-plane and want to set up 4 ailerons with my Futaba 138DP PCM receiver. This was my thought until I started on the aileron project, now I'm confused. I figured flaperons on 1 and 6 gives you a right and left aileron servo on the first wing, so Channel 1= right aileron, Channel 6= left aileron, Channel 7= right upper and Chennel 8= left upper, right? Now the receicver only has channel 1 through 7, I thought it was an 8 channel receiver? Do I need a Y harness or something? How do I do this set up now? And what about independently setting the end points of each servo then?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:56 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Need help with a 4 aileron set-up

Not a Futaba user and can't help with programing but that Rx is an eight channel unit. To utilize the eight channel it shares the battery port with the eighth servo. This is commonly done on many model and brands of Rx's.

To utilize the eighth channel a Y cord is plugged to the 'batt/8 port and one leg of the Y is for the battery imput and the other leg of the Y is plugged to the CH 8 servo.

All modern rx's use a common positive and negative power buss to all ports. It does not matter which port the power is imput with and it can share the port with its respective servo.

John
Old 07-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Flyboy1958

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, I had no idea about that. So if I get a Y harness and plug the battery into one end, and the upper left aileron into the other end of the Y, with the Y pluged into the battery port of the receiver, it should work?
Old 07-28-2006, 11:52 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyboy1958

Interesting, I had no idea about that. So if I get a Y harness and plug the battery into one end, and the upper left aileron into the other end of the Y, with the Y pluged into the battery port of the receiver, it should work?

Yes that is correct, If you look closely you will see the batt port is labled B/8. The Rx will be powered up and the CH 8 servo will respond as it is programed for. Now if this is the correct set up for your application and program I cannot say as I do not use Futaba Tx's.

John
Old 07-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

What you are considering is possible, but might I suggest looking into a pair of matchboxes for your ailerons?

It's a bit more money, but it will be easier to match the servo endpoints/neutrals and you'll only need two channels out of your rx for that setup.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:48 AM
rlmcnii
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

flyboy,

The Futaba website has FAQ's about their transmitters. The page on the 9C has a question, and response, as to setting up 4 ailerons on 4 different channels. It is specific to the 9C, but probably adaptable to other Tx.

I am working on a Bipe also and went loking for the same information one time. I wanted to set up the lower ailerons (only) as flaperons and the upper ailerons as ailerons only. Don't think that can be done, but I don't really think a bipe (Waco) will need flaps, either.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q682.html