Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Hitec digital or Futaba coreless. Which one is better

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec digital or Futaba coreless. Which one is better

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 04:59 AM
bigbigjoe
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec digital or Futaba coreless. Which one is better

Which servo is more accurate and centers better. A Futaba coreless ball bearing servo or a Hitec digital servo that is NOT a coreless servo. Also could you explain the differences between these servos and the plus's and minus of each one. The Hitec servo I was thinking of is I think a 5625 digital servo that is coreless and sells for about $50. The Futaba servo is I think a 9402, It is not a digital servo but it is coreless and sells for about
$100. Both are high speed and have about 100 oz. of torque.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:07 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

My experience is that the 5625MG performed very similar to the HS-945MG non-digital coreless servo which is similar, but not identical, to the 9402.

However, if you are willing to spend $100 on a servo, I would recommend you get the digital, coreless 5945MG; it sells for about $90. I dare to say it is the best high-end servo on the market today!

Mike.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:49 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I have used both the Hitec and Futaba servos you mention. Take this with a grain of salt because I will freely admit I am not a Hitec fan, but I only formed that opinion after my personal experiences over the last several years.

I have tested many servos on the bench for accuracy, etc. While the Hitec analogs don't center well at all, the Hitec digitals do center quite well in my opinion. The are very similar to the Futaba 9402 you mention. I can't recall if one was better than the other, but if so, it was by a small and insignificant margin.

The Hitec 5945MG should apply holding torque quicker than the Futaba 9402, a lot of that has to do with the Hitec 5945MG being a digital servo. I am making an assumption here so don't take this as fact until you see proof.

My personal opinion based on my experiences with Hitec, JR and Futaba servos, both digital and analog, is that the Hitecs do have a higher failure rate. I'm sure Mike will disagree, but this has been my personal experience. On the flip side, I know many that use Hitec without problems.... I just wasn't one of them.

I personally disagree with Mike that the 5945MG is the best high end digital servo... there are many good high end servos made by various manufactures, such as JR, Futaba, Multiplex and others. However, the Hitec 5945MG offers a good value because of its low cost.

IMO, either servo will work well in a application where 100oz-in and good centering is needed.

P.S. Have you looked at JR8411's? IMO they are much better then the Hitec digitals. 150 oz-in of torque, excellent centering, good service and low failure rate. If you shop around you can find these for $105 or even less (cheapest I've seen was $90 on sale in quantity.) For even more precision at the cost of a little torque, look at the JR8411SA... very precise and cheaper than the standard 8411 metal gear.

John
Old 01-07-2003, 11:10 PM
bigbigjoe
My Feedback: (2)

Default My servo needs.

All of my bigger planes are in the 72 " wingspan area, 120 - 180 four cycle size. The $50. Hited servo is good for elevator and rudder on 3D type airplanes. For this type application I wonder if it is worth it to spend the extra money for this size plane. I have used 9402 Futaba servos and they are a great servo but they cost $100. and I have one High tec $50. DIGITAL servo and they seem identical in operation. I was just wondering is there was something I was overlooking by going with the cheaper servo.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:57 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I/we have used of all the major brand servos in our GS aerobat models... Literally have used everything available at one time or another. That said were all using the Hitecs presently with some of the JR 8411's mixing through some of our birds...

We've had a lot of experience with premature gear train failure, pins and caps dislodging, motors failing and amps burning with the 8411's... And until recently we had to pay to repair them [JR is now offering 3 year warranty on the 8411 and the gear-train] I believe JR has finally worked out there short comings with these servos and the new warranty makes them even more attractive.

We've yet to have a single failure with Hitecs digital equipment. I am aware of some early problems which were software related, we did'nt experience these problems. From day one of release we've been using Hites's digitals. The programming feature is unmatched by any other servos... Were specifically using the 5925, 5945 and 5735 jumbos. We have damaged some of these servos, extensive 3D work occasionally rewards one with a damaged model of some sort... The one and only time we destroyed six of our Hitec Digitals, due to a bail out at 30" the DA-150 coughed, not enough time or altitude to completely drop the nose and a pancake ensued with the tail being slammed to the ground, damaging all six 5945's mounted in the stabs. Case mounting tabs were broken, output shafts broken off, internal gear damage, motor damaged you name it these six saw it. I sent them off to Hitec for repair with a note that we tore them up, had them back in eight days, repaired no charge, no shipping expense, nothing but all the damaged parts in bags. I was sold...

I have used the 5645 digital non-coreless as well as the 5245's in several smaller models and have two new H9 33% Sukhois ready to maiden equipped with the aforementioned servos. I have seen numerous posts with problems related to the 56** servos. In many cases the problems are related extensions, wyes, connectors and user installed factors. I believe there were some issues with the 56** servos motors failing, relative to QC issues. It is my belief that Hitec has worked through any known problems.

Futaba servos have proven to be very good, less the gear train wear. I have very little experience with Futabas Digitals, what I have has been good. I wish they were cheaper, more powerful, programmable and FASTER... They do have a new digital that may meet the speed and power issues were looking for.

I would suggest you test any servos you purchase on the bench to assure there are no problems prior to utilizing them. I like to call it burning them in, kind of like breaking in a new engine... I run all of mine for at least 20 minutes.
Old 01-10-2003, 03:04 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default servos

Take a look at the paper on Futaba Digital FET servos posted on Futaba's WEB site. The curve of the digital servos is much tighter than the coreless servos. It is my opinion that the cored motor servo would be very little different than the coreless motor servo when they both have the digital electronics. I think it could be made to equal the coreless version.
Hitec says they are not as good but I doubt that. I intend to run some tests when I manage to assemble the proper test equipment. Hanging a long pointer on the output arm of a servo and checking where it stops after a deflection is about like checking battery voltage without a load. It tells you very little about how the servo will react in the operating conditions.
I do not think a coreless motor should be used in the high vibration environment we have. The nature of its construction makes it prone to failure. I had much trouble with them when I was using true analog servos where they had to be used.