Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

9cap 2 times stronger signal than 14z

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:13 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 9cap 2 times stronger signal than 14z

this is what i fount today.....

i own both radios and i fly my jet with 9cap...

my 14z i use it for my big props....so today from quriosity i had alsoo a watt meter on my work...

so i sed why not...

i just dont want to remember the redings but it was almost two times stronger my 9 than my 14

any one else tryed to comper them?

sorry for my bad english
Old 09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 9cap 2 times stronger signal than 14z

You can't just hook a watt-meter up to the antena on your transmitter because it will not be properly matched.

Most RF power meters present a 50 ohm load but most RC transmitters use a base-loaded whip that presents a somewhat different impedance.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:24 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 9cap 2 times stronger signal than 14z

best way to compare would be with a controlled environment in the receiver - like a spectrum analyzer with a receiving antenna on it, a fixed distance between the transmitter(s) and the receiver, and compare radiated field strength at different transmitter antenna orientations.

This way you are looking at actual radiated signal strength, not watts, which would be difficult to measure with any accuracy for the reasons that Xjet states above.

Or - if they're on the same frequency, use the same receiver, etc, and range check them both with antennas up and antennas down, compare performance. That doesn't take any special test equipment, just a lot of space to do an antenna up range check!