Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse with an Ultrastick

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 02:47 PM
headhunter66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse with an Ultrastick

Today, I was going to order an Eclipse for my Hanger 9 Ultrastick 40. But after reading a post I amthinking twice and I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I am wanting to use the crow features of the US but now I read that you can only use the Crow features of the Eclipse in glider mode, resulting in loosing some of the other features and mixes you would want and need in Acro mode. If anyone understands my babble, I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks,
Dave Porter
Old 01-15-2003, 03:40 PM
smitty70
My Feedback: (5)

It can be done in the acro mode but it takes two switches instead of one. You can set up your flaps on the landing gear switch and mix in spoilerons on the landing switch. When you hit the landing mode switch the ailerons will go up and when you hit the landing gear switch (marked ch. 7 I think) the flaps will go down. You will still have controll of the ailerons. I dont know if other radios with the crow funtion still give you aileron control.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:49 PM
headhunter66

Thanks for an easy to understand answer. After reading about this for a few hours I was starting to get a little confused. Now another question for everyone out there. Is this method of crowing as effective as using a different TX? If not, what transmitter is recommended for this. I really have my heart, and wallet, set on the Hitec so I can use it with my heli also.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:00 PM
adrian-RCU

we have a us40 and a hi-tec eclipse but after many attempts even mail to hi-tec we figured that we had to get another radio so we now fly it with a futaba9chp has all you need for the us and it's great flying envelope.
ps .our hi-tec eclipse is doing great service with many of our other planes.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:11 PM
rorywquin

And....if you are prepared to spend the money on a Futaba F9c then you should look at the multiplex Royal EVO - at prices over here it is more bang for your buck!! Not too sure about prices where you are!!
Old 01-15-2003, 06:32 PM
adrian-RCU

and hi-tec has just bought multiplex.
we don't know the multi's but they sure have a good reputation so do the homework bit and buy the right one first time. i just commented on the disappointment we had because we thought our eclipse could do it all and we rally did not need another radio at the time, now we are enjoying both.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:40 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by headhunter66
Thanks for an easy to understand answer. After reading about this for a few hours I was starting to get a little confused. Now another question for everyone out there. Is this method of crowing as effective as using a different TX? If not, what transmitter is recommended for this. I really have my heart, and wallet, set on the Hitec so I can use it with my heli also.

Again, thanks for all the help.
Futaba 8AU or 9C. They cost a little more than the Hitec Eclipse but they are both capable for your heli as well. I own all 3. I have the Hitec Eclipse 7 -w- the spectrum module. I also have the Futaba 8AU (bought it because the Eclipse could not be set up for my Ultra Stick), and then bought the Futaba 9C. If I had to limit myself to one I would keep the Futaba 9C. Push-come-to-shove I could run my spectrum module in all 3 but do not normally do so.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Flyfalcons

If you can save up a few more bucks by all means go for the 9C. The FM receiver version is less than $400 at Tower and other locations. The Hitec is a very capable radio but you may appreciate the features that the 9C has down the line. To me, switch assignability is worth any price difference over a radio without switch assignability.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:53 AM
IronZ
My Feedback: (3)

Just for the record, you can use Crow on the channel 7 switch on the Eclipse, that allows you to use the dial to adjust your deflection. I did it on mine and it worked great. The channel 7 switch isn't the easiest to reach but it beats using two switches.

IronZ
Old 01-16-2003, 12:02 PM
smitty70
My Feedback: (5)

Default Crow on CH. 7

IronZ, How did you set that up exactly? I am curious to how you got that to work.
Old 01-16-2003, 05:39 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm with the same dilemma. Which one? the're both great radios, I have use both systems and never encounter any problems out of the usual ones, but it is time to decided. I have done my home work and it comes to this.

This is for the TX. and charger only.

Hitec Eclipse Servo City $ 180.00 free shipping.
Futaba 9C Servo City $ 260.00 free shipping.

So you see, the difference is $ 80.00 and yes that's a lot of money for my self right now, ( I'm barely hanging in the Hobby ), but the 9C will keep you happy for a very, very long time.
Good lock in your quest.

Thank god I'm done with mine.

Carlos
Old 01-16-2003, 06:00 PM
headhunter66

So you said your quest was over, where did it endup taking you?

Dave Porter
Old 01-16-2003, 06:33 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Servo City, :spinnyeye
Where else. :spinnyeye
Old 01-17-2003, 06:13 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I strongly recommend the 9C (or the 8u at the very least). I don't have any first hand experience with the Hitec, but from what I have read and researched (I was in the exact same boat you're in about 6 months ago) the 9c does easily what the 8u can do with a little effort and what the Hitec can do with lots of work. I have an 8uafs and an Ultra Stick 60 and have pretty much maxed-out the programming. Right now I wish I had the 9C. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2003, 12:13 AM
headhunter66

Thanks alot for all the advice. This afternoon I broke down and got the 9C. I had to go to work as soon as I got back from the store so I haven't had any time to really check it out, but I like what I see so far. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I guess I can wait until next month to feed the kids.
I appreciate all the help and opinions you guys gave me, it helped a lot. Now I just have to figure this thing out.

Thanks,
Dave Porter
Old 01-18-2003, 02:12 AM
bigun5

let us know how the settings go, i to was in the same search today. i went with the U stick 40 and the 9cap.

i am looking today for program parm's for the 9c.

thanks,

fly fast, fly low
Old 01-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Flyfalcons

Bigun5, are you looking specifically how to set up the 9C for a Ustick? The Futaba web site has a FAQ for the 9C that walks you through setting up a complex aerobat, using the Ultra Stick as a specific example. Hope this helps.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q515.html
Old 01-18-2003, 04:49 AM
bigun5

Bigun5, are you looking specifically how to set up the 9C for a Ustick? The Futaba web site has a FAQ for the 9C that walks you through setting up a complex aerobat, using the Ultra Stick as a specific example. Hope this helps.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q515.html

yes it was, in part, what i was looking for. i was also looking for specific setups from other flyers of the us40 with the 9cap. this would provide me with a list to compaire my settings to

thanks,

fly low, fly fast