Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

rx antenna wire

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 09:42 PM
flynte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx antenna wire

If the antenna wire got cut, could a person resolder it back together. Mine ended up getting cut where it came out of the fuse [:@]

flynte
Old 10-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Electriceddie

Default RE: rx antenna wire

Hi Flynte,

I don't think you can do that without running into a Freq. tuning issue. The antenna lenth needs to be a certain length. There may be some issue with the solder causing some resistance thus changing the tuning. You may be better off just replacing the entire wire (antenna). You might be wise to send it back to the manufactuer. Then again, I am not a Radio expert, so take it with a grain of salt. Whatever brand it is I might suggest trying in the specific Manufactuers forum here on RC Universe. If it is Futaba Bax the moderator will be able to help you for sure. I included the link for you

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_52/tt.htm[/link]

Good Luck

Ed
Old 10-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Dr1Driver

If you didn't actually lose any length, go ahead and solder it back together. You'll only lose about 1/4" of length, which shouldn't hurt it. Be sure to cover the splice with shrink tube.

Dr.1
Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just solder it back together, no problem. As long as the final length is between 39 to 41 inches (for most common receivers) the receiver will function fine. You could also replace the entire antenna by just resoldering a new 39 to 41 inch length of wire back on the PC board where the original one was soldered (of course first unsoldering the old stub). you can get repacement antennas from most hobby shops or at least they can order one for you. You can also make your own from any multistrand flexable wire 28 to 22 gage.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:24 PM
flynte

thanks for the replies.

I think I'll try going for replacing the entire wire as suggested. I like the idea of going to a bit heavier wire than whats on there

thanks

flynte
Old 10-22-2006, 01:42 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The antenna wire is the least critical wire in your radio system. If you are lazy you could just remove a bit of insulation and twist the wire together. It would work fine. You might want to put some solder on it to keep it from coming apart.
As long as it it long enough and strong enough you can use anything conductive, even coat hanger wire