Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

5955 centering and trim adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Default 5955 centering and trim adjustment

I have a question for some of you servo geeks out there.

I had 5 JR 8411's in my H9 Extra 260.

I had the left aileron servo start acting up so I ordered a HITEC 5955TG for the rudder, and I swapped the rudder 8411 to the aileron so I could send the original in for repair.

My question is (and I've had this issue with Hitec before) every time I make a trim/sub-trim adjustment on the 8411's they move a slight little bit. The 5955 however does not always move. I'm guessing because it has a larger dead-band setting from the factory? I also notice that it does not center perfectly every time like the JR's do. If I were to get a programmer and changed the dead-band would it improve the response to that of the 8411's?

My original Hitec problems were with 5645's which I know had centering issues, and I chocked it up to being bottom to mid-range servos. The 5955 however everyone is raving about so I figured I would not have the same issues. It's not a problem really, I'm going to fly it, I just don't understand why the difference between them.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:57 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 5955 centering and trim adjustment

5955 servos come set with a deadband setting about 4-5 micro seconds(setting 2). If you have access to a hitec programmer, set the deadband to setting 1. If you cannot find one, send it to me with a return envelope, and I will do it for you. it corresponsds to 3 us.

It will sing to you at that setting, just get used to it, it works to stay centerd. I spoke at length to Bill Hatcher at Troy built. He convinced me to try these TG servos, they sell the heck out of them, and I think we are just seeing their emergence as the only true match to the 8611A, it is just that the JR servo comes with the DB set to lowest setting, which gives them the reputation of good centering.

Someone in your LHS area will have one of these boxes. You will love this servo, it never loosens. I just started using them too. just email me if you have more questions.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:18 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks,

That's what I figured, I'll see if someone in the club has a programmer I can borrow. This is my only Hitec servo so I don't really want to spend $150 for a programmer for it.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:00 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are looking at the no load deadband. Why are you concerned about what the servo does when its not producing any torque?
My tests show the 5955 is quite a bit better than the 8411 under the loaded condition. In fact its better than the 8611A.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:12 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird
You are looking at the no load deadband. Why are you concerned about what the servo does when its not producing any torque?
My tests show the 5955 is quite a bit better than the 8411 under the loaded condition. In fact its better than the 8611A.
At what dead band setting? The factory default of two or the tighter setting of one?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

My tests were done with the factory setting
Old 12-06-2006, 01:01 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
MikeMayberry
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Guy's,

Please note that there is a typo in the programmer manual that indicates that the minimum deadband setting of "1" is 3us. In fact, the settings actually corespond to the deadband with "1" being 1us (if the servo is capable of it) and so on. Thus the out of the box deadband is 2us for all Hitec digital servos.

Mike.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: camss69

I have a question for some of you servo geeks out there.

I had 5 JR 8411's in my H9 Extra 260.

I had the left aileron servo start acting up so I ordered a HITEC 5955TG for the rudder, and I swapped the rudder 8411 to the aileron so I could send the original in for repair.

My question is (and I've had this issue with Hitec before) every time I make a trim/sub-trim adjustment on the 8411's they move a slight little bit. The 5955 however does not always move. I'm guessing because it has a larger dead-band setting from the factory? I also notice that it does not center perfectly every time like the JR's do. If I were to get a programmer and changed the dead-band would it improve the response to that of the 8411's?

My original Hitec problems were with 5645's which I know had centering issues, and I chocked it up to being bottom to mid-range servos. The 5955 however everyone is raving about so I figured I would not have the same issues. It's not a problem really, I'm going to fly it, I just don't understand why the difference between them.
You wrote about EXACTLY my experience, installing 5955's all round on a NEW airplane. NO load, the little beep of subtrim was not ALWAYS visible. I wish I knew more, but I can say that the AIRBORNE performance of these is VERY sensitive. The "single beep" of trim DOES change the plane *IN THE AIR*. I don't understand it, either, and I have my 5955's at the "factory" setting of two. I also have 4 5645's on an Ultimate, with programmed centering at "1", and can't see the bump with one trim beep on the ground, either.

I'd like to understand more.... Mike Mayberry - Remember me????? (I'm converted, now, BTW..... )