Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR X388S

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Piet Le Roux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR X388S

JR X388S:
I can get the radio in to service mode but I am not sure what some of the settings does. Is there someone what got info on the service mode of this radio?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:39 PM
viper1

Default RE: JR X388S

The manual;

http://www.esnips.com/doc/ae2bbc7f-5...manual-jr-x388
Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 AM
Piet Le Roux

Thanks for the reply but the manual will not have this type of info. I did down load the manual you mentioned and it’s the only one that I can find on the net but the last 30 or so pages is missing . You don’t know were I can get the rest ?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Mac_Man_UK

For the Aero section http://www.macgregor.co.uk/misc/X388_Aero.pdf

For the Glider pages http://www.macgregor.co.uk/misc/X388_Glid.pdf

Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 AM
Piet Le Roux

Thanks for the info I think my manual is now complete!
Old 01-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Speedie500

Thanx for the info, Viper 1 & Mac Man. I'm just another South African lokking for the manual for the X-388s.[8D]
Old 01-08-2007, 03:27 AM
Piet Le Roux

MY original request was for information on the service mode of the X388S but I got no reply. So I will give what I have so far and if someone has some thing to ad please do.

X388S service mode:

Start the radio in the system menu (hold up and down, turn on the radio).
Step forward to "RSET".
Flip the "GEAR" switch towards you.
Press "+" and release.
Flip the "GEAR" switch away from you.
Press "-" and release.
Repeat this until "INTL" shows in the display : 4 cycles.
INTL
INTL (CLR) >: don’t! You will lose all data!
INTL CLR : you have lost your data!
(UP)>
STK.*: Stick value
(CH)>1, 2, 3, 4, pot.6, pot.7, pot.8
(UP)>
TRM.*: Trim value
(CH)>1, 2, 3, 4
(UP)>
LCD TEST
(UP)>
SA * +/- : CHANNEL POS (-+)??
(UP)>
Volt meter calibration: use +-
(UP)>
BATT (NICAD)/DRY (+-) or (CH)>sub directory
ALRM (9.0v)/9.3v: alarm voltage 9 or 9.3 (+-)
(CH)>
SDIR (INH)??? / ACT ( ) = default, INH=inhibit, ACT=activate
(CH)>
SWMx (INH) / ACT: CCPM
(CH)>
SMOD INH / (ACT): makes stick mode selectable or not.
(CH)>
MAX (8) / 7 CH (+-)
(CH)>
TRNS (INH) / ACT: activates transmission of data burst??
(CH)>
POT8 (YES) / NO
(UP)>
TxD * STR: (CLR): sends data string??
(UP)>
369.8 FF: 00:????? Change with (+-) and (CLR)
Old 01-13-2007, 05:46 AM
Piet Le Roux

I think we have now solved all the mysteries about the X388S service mode. For the persons that contributed to this info thank you very much.

JR Service Menu – X388S
Start the radio in the system menu (hold up and down, turn on the radio).
Step forward to "RSET".
Flip the "GEAR" switch towards you.
Press "+" and release.
Flip the "GEAR" switch away from you.
Press "-" and release.
Repeat this until "INTL" shows in the display : 4 cycles.
Screen 1 INTL (Indicates you are in Service Menu)
If you press clear (CLR) when in this screen you will lose all you data and the TX will be in factory default.
INTL CLR: indicates that you have lost all your data and you are in factory default!

Use the UP key to scroll through the available functions:-

Screen 2 Stick Calibration
(This procedure is like calibrating a joystick on a Windows PC)
With the sticks and pots centered, check that the pot values are close to 0.
Use the CH key to scroll through STK.1 to POT.8 while looking at the displayed value.
A tolerance of ± 4 is acceptable. If necessary, mechanically adjust the stick pots so that a value close to 0 is achieved.
STK.1
STK.2
STK.3
STK.4
POT.6
POT.7
POT.8
Press the UP key to move on to -
Screen 3 Trim Lever Calibration
Similarly set all trims to a centre position. Use the CH key to scroll through the four trims, checking that a value close to 0 is displayed. Adjust mechanically if necessary.
TRM.1
TRM.2
TRM.3
TRM.4
Screen 4 Switch and LCD display test screen only: 00#0 0#00
Screen 5 Stick end point calibration:
SA1 (See notes below
SA2 (to determine
SA3 (which stick
SA4 (to move.
Move the stick to one end point and press the CLR key.
Move the stick to the other end point and press the CLR key.
Select a new stick with the CH key and repeat this for all four sticks.
When all 8 end points are stored the SA# will stop flashing:

Notes:
STK.1, TRM.1, SA1 = Elevator (mode 2) or Throttle (mode 1)
STK.2, TRM.2, SA2 = Aileron
STK.3, TRM.3, SA3 = Throttle (mode 2) or Elevator (mode 1)
STK.4, TRM.4, SA4 = Rudder

Screen 6 Transmitter voltmeter adjustments:
(Apparently the stick calibration can be affected if the displayed voltage does not match the actual battery voltage.)
Hook up a reliable digital voltmeter to the transmitter battery and adjust the transmitter voltmeter display with the DATA+ and DATA- keys to read the same or slightly below the digital voltmeter: ~ 9.6V

Screen 7 Enable or disable optional features:
These items can be ACTivated or INHibited.
Press Data + or Data – to toggle the setting:
The setting in bold type is the normal or factory setting

BATT NICD or DRY
Press CH or CHANNEL to scroll through the following options:
ALRM 9.3v or 9.0v (Sets low battery alarm to sound at 9.0v or 9.3v as desired)
SDIR ACT or INH (Reverses throttle stick – Low throttle is UP.)
SWMX ACT or INH (Activates Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing. This facility enables the user to operate CCPM models. The user can then make Swash Selection in a heli model setup, i.e. Normal, 2 servos, 3 servos, or 4 servos)
SMOD ACT or INH (Activates Stick Mode change option. Stick Mode 1, 2, 3 or 4 can then be selected from within the Model Selection Menu)
MAX CH (max no. of channels, 7 or 8)
(Note: a 7-channel 783 can be changed here to an 8-channel set)
TRNS ACT or INH
This enables the data transfer option which is available in the X378. You will then have an extra function in our system set-up mode: TXD.n *STR (n= aircraft model no.) It works like the copy function but now you can copy the set-up of one plane to another TX. See the x378 manual for more info. The radio with its power button on will be in RX mode and the radio with its power button off will be in TX mode. CLR puts the RX radio in standby mode (STBY). In your system setup menu there will also be a new window to display memory addresses and there values.
POT8 YES (388) or NO (347)

Screen 8 TxD * STR : this dumps all the saved data that is in non-volatile memory. This is probably used to save the data of client before work is done on their radio. If it will work the same way as data transfer between radios I can not say yet.

Screen 9 369.8 00:00 : the first four numbers is the non-volatile memory address in hex and the next four is its value. Use +- or CLR to page.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:01 AM
Speedie500

Sorry Piet, I didn't see the SREVICE part of your request. The information that you have supllied is a whole new thing to me. I have not read all of your reply but have saved it and will read it soon. I can't help with any further info' but maybe if you give Dave Armitage of Radio Control Repair Centre, a shout he could help. Dave is the JR agent for S.A. and his contact info is available on the S.A.M.A.A. website (www.samaa.org.za). go have a look if you haven't already. [8D]
Old 01-15-2007, 01:30 AM
Piet Le Roux

Thanks for the reply Speedie. Yes I Know Dave well. But you must understand that as the JR service agent in South Africa he can not supply any Technical info. The service mode is used by JR technicians and you the user is not suppose to dabble with it. So if you do decide to play with it, be careful! The significant discovery for me is that you can now transfer data between radios this is not available in the standard X388S, so now you can organize your data with programs like Data Safe.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:14 AM
mervmatthews

The data transfer facility in the X388S (and XP783) is an undocumented feature which is normally inhibited in the software. It is easily activated if you need it. I have prepared step-by-step instructions and tested them with my two X388S Txs. A trainer cord is required. Two options are available - (1) transfer model setup, mixes and other settings for specific models (one at a time) from one Tx to another. (2) transfer model setup, mixes and settings for ALL models in one operation. Instructions are a bit long. If anyone would like them just email me.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Speedie500

Hi Merv, does the data transfere work with tx's other than the X388s & XP783, and if so which other tx's can do it?[X(]
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM
mervmatthews

Which Tx do you have? In some later JR models it is a standard feature with instructions included in the System Mode section of the user manual. The X-378 has it, as does the 8103/3810, 9303, all the 10 series, and some others apparently. In the 347, 388 and 783 it is a hidden function and you need to activate it from the Service Mode menu. If you can't find it in System Mode then look through the Service Mode menu items for something like TXD *STR or TXDSC. If it shows INH then the function has been inhibited.
You will need to connect two transmitters of the same model due to different data formats (with the possible exception of the 388 and 783 which are the same internally). Of more use to you might be a PC Interface such as Datasafe 2 which will allow you to store all your data and settings on a PC, but for certain JR models only. A search of the Internet will give you all the information you need on this interface.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 AM
jetstuff

Thanks for all that work Piet....do you, or any of your contacts know how to enter the Service Screen on a JR PCM10 ??
I am trying to do a conversion for a disabled modeller with rudder control on the RH stick. and need to recenter the servos.
Thanks
John
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 AM
Piet Le Roux

Hi Jetstuff,
I am not familiar with the 10X radio but I know that mervmatthews has info on the 9X that may work on the 10X so ask him if you want it. I am not sure as what you trying to do and why you don’t just use the sub-trim to re-center the servos? In the X388S you can check that when your sticks are in there center, the pots are also in there center, if they are too far out you have to mechanically adjust the stick pots. I don’t think this will help you.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:25 AM
mervmatthews

John -
Rudder & throttle on RH stick is mode 3. Rudder & elevator on RH stick is mode 4. If stick mode selection is not available in the Setup menu of your 10X then it has been inhibited in the software. I'm sorry, but I have no service information at all on the 10X. You could try RCU member Mac_Man_UK, but be warned - getting into the Service Menu of the 10X is risky. I would recommend sending the Tx to him for attention. You need to specify which mode you want.
I'm not sure what your servo centering problem is, but you can test them as follows -
1. select an unused model setup.
2. select RESET to put all settings back to defaults. This will ensure that all trims are zero.
3. put radio into function mode, scroll through to servo reverse.
4. with Rx on and three servos connected (rudder, elevator, aileron) toggle normal/reverse repeatedly on each servo in turn, checking for any movement on the servo arms. If there is no movement then your sticks are correctly centred.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:53 PM
jetstuff

Thanks Merv
This modeller has rudder, elevator and ailerons on the RH stick. It had been modified by fitting a rotary control for the rudder to the stick top. After removing the rotary pot and reconnecting to the LH side, the servo was off center. I have now moved the rudder control pot to recenter the servo but the travel either side of neutral is not linear and stops before reaching the full travel. This is after resetting the model memory to default values. I believe the reason, is that the throw/center was probably adjusted from the service screen to compensate for a different value or different travel on the rotary control.
if you have any info on entering the service screen that would be much appreciated...I realise that this is supposed to be 'confidential' .....PM if necessary?

John
Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
mervmatthews

John -
It seems you have cured the rudder centering problem by adjusting the pot position. You should be able to increase servo travel from the function menu. Because you have reset the default values, servo travel will be at 100% for all servos. Scroll to servo travel and increase the rudder channel to the maximum and see if that's enough. As for the non-linear travel, this is a puzzle because exponential will be at zero after the reset. Maybe the pot itself is non-linear?
You can't do any harm by getting into service mode and just taking a look at the values set when the rudder stick calibration was carried out. The calibration procedure is the same as calibrating a joystick on a Windows PC, but unless you have full details of the service menu items you are likely to be groping in the dark. I'd like to help you get in there, but as I said - I don't have the information.
Merv