Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Rx antenna, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Ryans Rebel
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx antenna, HELP!

I have nearly completed a new model that used an electronic ignition engine and a PCM rx. It is a very clean model and I do not want a wire hanging out of it. Are there any alternatives? I think the Jet guys use an antenna that mounts w/ nuts and a threaded piece. I assume all that is required is cutting the origional wire short and soldering. Am I correct on this. What problems if any do you have with range? What is this set up called? where can I get one or learn more about it?

Please help.
Ryan
Old 02-28-2003, 03:48 PM
Crcsswind

I Have used a Deans antenna on several models. They are a short whip type antenna that can be mounted inside or with the antenna exposed outside. You cut your existing antenna to a length of 4 to 10 inches and install the Deans antenna with the supplied connector. I have used them with a JR 8103 FM Transmitter and both JR and Hitec receivers. Most hobby shop carry them.
Gil
Old 02-28-2003, 04:41 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Get a section of Sullivan Gold-N-rod and put the antenne in the sleeve. Once Installed, it will ensure that the antenne is routed properly within the fuselage.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:54 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Default I like the revolution antenna better

The Deans antennas work well, but I reccomend the antenna by Revolution over it. RC fuel (and possibly UV?) attacks the blue-dipped insulation on the Deans. Then it can flex and the tiny wire often breaks. Then the antenna becomes vibration sensitive and can lead to signal loss and a crash. I have only seen this with Helicopter folks.

I hope I don't offend anyone, I do like most W.S.Deans products.

This problem may never effect airplane people anyway, but I thought I would mention it.

When properly installed, the Deans and Revolution both have excellent range. Be sure to properly install whichever aatenna you get. A good solder connection is a must.

You might also consider sending the receiver back to the RX's manufacturer to have it retuned with your new antenna.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Whirley Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I like the revolution antenna better

Originally posted by MO_Radio_Tech
i

You might also consider sending the receiver back to the RX's manufacturer to have it retuned with your new antenna.
Very good idea,
Best answer I saw so far.
How much wire can you remove and not have the antenna be resonate for your frequency.?
I heard it over and over that it really doesn't matter because the antenna will be up high but that dose not mean it's going to be efficient.Geistware Has suggested keeping the wire but didn't mention keeping it the same size
However his advice is very good.
You cut enough wire and the RX noise floor numbers will go down (more RX noise).
Tune RX it and prune Antenna it for maxium efficiency.
All my receivers are peaked and all my transmitters are peaked for the MAX power allowed by law.
All those adjustments arent there for nothing
Just my 2 cents
Old 03-01-2003, 11:35 PM
MO_Radio_Tech

Default trimming, retuning, rx's

To be honest, I do not have an exact answer to your question(s).

When I see a cut antenna if it is anymore than an inch different than the original antenna I would change it out just for the tiny cost of 39 inches of copper wire.
In the case of these aftermarket whip antennas, we don't know the the difference in tuning (because of the coil in the new antenna)--we also do not know exactly how much length of the old antenna to leave on for soldering (they give a range 6'-10' in the directions I think), so the best is to retune it with the new antenna.

If not retuned, check range before and after to ensure safety.