Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Field tests JR 10X with Spektrum module

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:10 PM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Field tests JR 10X with Spektrum module

I have both the Spektrum DX7 and a JR10X system in 32% Yaks. The DX7 system is very responsive around neutral and always has a locked on feel. My JR 10X 72 Mz system has never had a glitch with the 2000 Rx. I need the additional program features and channels of the 10X. I am thinking about getting the AR9000 module and Rx for my JR10X.

Question for people who have test flown the Spektrum modules: How does the response of the JR10X Tx with the Spektrum module compare to the DX7 and the standard 2000 Rx?.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Flip and Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Field tests JR 10X with Spektrum module

That is a good question and answer that I would like to have too. The latency thing is what makes me wonder about the module systems.

Has anyone tried spektrum modules in ANY radios and compared it to the DX7?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well the only thing the aftermarket modules will do is convert the radio frequency range to the 2.4 GHz spectrum (no pun intended) and any latency problems existing with the tx's they are used on will remain.

This is because all the tx's processing functions will remain intact, the only thing the module can change is the RF output, so you lose the faster control response of the Spektrum type radios. It has to do with the way the information is formulated and sent to the rx, sort of like comparing a dialup Internet connection to DSL or cable if you will?

So if your aim is to get rid of the frequency board and shoot down problems that can occur with out current 72 MHz band, then go for it. But if you want the faster control response they talk about you'll need a radio designed from the ground up around the 2.4 GHz technology.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: Flip and Fly

That is a good question and answer that I would like to have too. The latency thing is what makes me wonder about the module systems.

Has anyone tried spektrum modules in ANY radios and compared it to the DX7?
Supposedly, there were Team JR pilots flying modules with Spektrum RX's in jets at the Florida Jets recently. I think there were some posts in the Jet forums from them, but can't specifically recall.

Zeeb is correct; modules will not change the internal handling of the channel processing and mixing. Think of a modularized TX as one on a trainer cord or a sim...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:56 AM
swk550
My Feedback: (76)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a thread in RC Groups from some actual field tests of the Spektrum modules. The reports confirm the Spektrum modules feel the same as the 72Mz PCM or PPM modules.

There is also a thread on Runryder on latency tests. The Specktrum DX7 has a much lower latency than the JR9303 and RR10X radios. DX7 - approx. 26ms, JR9303 - approx. 38ms and the JR10X - approx. 58ms. I owned a JR9303 Tx. For equal expo settings, I always thought the JR9303 was too sensitive (jumpy) coming of neutral when compared to my JR10X. At first I thought the 9303 used a different algorithim. Now that I have the DX7, I realize the difference may be in the latency.

The JR9303 is a wonderful radio. Now I kinda wish I kept it. I sure hope Horizon announces a Spektrum DX9 radio soon. I's buy one as soon as it's available.

Here is the link http://runryder.com/helicopter/t172571p1/

Steve
Old 04-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Flip and Fly

Yes, if a DX 9 came out I could be game too. I don't have anything against them and ya have to give them credit. Without there initiative none of this would have taken off
Old 04-08-2007, 12:20 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In response to your question about the possible latency issues that might be associated with the modules in the 10X, 9309, 8103, etc. I was one of the team members who was flying at Florida Jets. Ican say the module is faster that the standard 10X system. The modules are slower than a DX7, but faster than a stock 10X system. You will not be disapointed.

Any of you guys headed out for Toledo next week?[sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 04-08-2007, 12:32 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

I'm looking at a module for my 10X. In a 100cc plane would 2 Spektrum satellite receivers be a good idea? They sound like cheap insurance that your signal won't be blocked.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:33 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for those cornfused by the above -- the difference is with FM (used for input to the Spektrum module) and PCM 1024 output usually used with the 10X.
don't sweat it - it works .
Old 04-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

John, it is great to see "the Horse's Mouth", so to speak (no offense meant!) on here.... thanks for that reminder about the speed differences.
Just to be clear.... FASTEST will be "straight Spektrum", NEXT is "module Spektrum", THEN "72 PCM", right?

With the additional feature that the Spektrum re-sequences channel position programmatically, whereas the Module-based systems, Spektrum or not, will *not* re-sequence, correct??

Would appreciate that clarification. Thank you.

ORIGINAL: John Redman

In response to your question about the possible latency issues that might be associated with the modules in the 10X, 9309, 8103, etc. I was one of the team members who was flying at Florida Jets. Ican say the module is faster that the standard 10X system. The modules are slower than a DX7, but faster than a stock 10X system. You will not be disapointed.

Any of you guys headed out for Toledo next week?[sm=tongue_smile.gif]