Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

no more 72 mhz JR 9303's

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM
jeffp2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no more 72 mhz JR 9303's

After the sucessfull roll out of the extreeme link modules I decided to order a new 9303 sailplane version because I had been holding off on a new radio until this issue was resolved I called horizon because I wanted just a tx and charger and the order taker informed me that jr had discontinuined the 72 mhz 9303 in favor of their 2.4 system I guess that is one way for horizon to squash XPS thats my .02
Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: no more 72 mhz JR 9303's

It seems to me that their intention is to sell what people want.. and that's 2.4.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:02 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

yeah i am running the older version man my stuff got older than my cpu real quick but does me well[8D]
Old 04-18-2007, 02:30 PM
pilotpete2

Some one was pulling your chain, me thinks
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP9268
Hardly looks they are discontinuing the line, yet
Pete
Old 04-18-2007, 02:40 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

that link does not show that the item is n stock
Old 04-18-2007, 02:50 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: krayzc-RCU

that link does not show that the item is n stock
Well, with an "in stock" listing of late April, I hardly think that indicates that they are done with producing conventional module 9303's Which seemed to be the point of the OP.
Pete
Old 04-18-2007, 02:57 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I had no idea that Horizon was the only place you could buy a 9303 from today. Who'd have thought, eh?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
jeffp2000

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Some one was pulling your chain, me thinks
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP9268
Hardly looks they are discontinuing the line, yet
Pete
The sales lady actually told me at first they were out of stock of the complete system because they had no more 770 recievers because the reciever had been upgraded but when I told her that I wanted just a TX with no module and no servos or reciever she then told me obout the discontinuation and the reciever had been upgraded to a 2.4
Old 04-18-2007, 04:04 PM
jeffp2000

ORIGINAL: MikeL

I had no idea that Horizon was the only place you could buy a 9303 from today. Who'd have thought, eh?
Is there someplace else that I could get one? I wanted the sailplane version but isint the air one the sane with differfent labeling?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:07 PM
MikeL

Talk to your local hobby shop or one of the hundreds of them that does mail order.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:10 PM
jeffp2000

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Talk to your local hobby shop or one of the hundreds of them that does mail order.
I guess what I am wondering is do they still have them in stock if jr is rolling out a new product?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
MikeL

Start making phone calls. That's how you find out.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:18 PM
chrisF test pilot

IF what was said is in fact the case my guess would be that Horizon is no longer importing them, not necessarily that JR isnt going to keep making them. There are still some places where 2.4 isnlt legal to use for RC, like Japan. And what about the Graupner radios, does that include them also? Just speculating.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jeffp2000

Is there someplace else that I could get one? I wanted the sailplane version but isint the air one the sane with differfent labeling?
The sailplane and airplane version are the same except the sailplane version came with different servos and receiver options. The aircraft/sailplane version also has a helicopter mode. Some people preferred the helicopter version for sailplanes because of the switch locations are the opposite of the aircraft version.

Allan
Old 04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know where you can get you a new airplane (full price), or a used airplane version for less than half price. PM me for details...
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 72 mhz 9303 systems will continue to be available. I think the confusion stems from the systems with the 770 crystal based receiver and crystal based module being discontinued, and the systems with the synthesized 790 and synthesized modules being introduced.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...303+syn&CatId=

We also have the systems available without module for those wanting to use the Spektrum modules, or have their own module.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...o%20mod&CatId=
Old 04-19-2007, 02:22 PM
jrcaster

Just curious, why would someone just go out and buy a brand new radio, just to add a 2.4Ghz upgrade, when you can wait for JR to come out with their own version shortly. JR will not honor the warranty with any other module except JR. If you had an older radio I might be able to see getting a module upgrade. I don't think Xtreme link will reimburse you $600 you will be out if it fries your brand new radio.

JR has inroduced the 9303 with 2.4Ghz release for this summer. I think I would wait it out.

Personally, after all you guys upgrade to the 2.4Ghz band, I will have the 72Mhz band all to myself.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 PM
jeffp2000

ORIGINAL: jrcaster

Just curious, why would someone just go out and buy a brand new radio, just to add a 2.4Ghz upgrade, when you can wait for JR to come out with their own version shortly. JR will not honor the warranty with any other module except JR. If you had an older radio I might be able to see getting a module upgrade. I don't think Xtreme link will reimburse you $600 you will be out if it fries your brand new radio.

JR has inroduced the 9303 with 2.4Ghz release for this summer. I think I would wait it out.

Personally, after all you guys upgrade to the 2.4Ghz band, I will have the 72Mhz band all to myself.
I have been following this 2.4 thing from the get go and I think the XPS is the superior system I dont like the antennas on the others and I have an older X347 that I want to put a 2.4 module in and I want 1 reciever type for all of my planes
Old 04-24-2007, 09:00 AM
jrcaster

I would have to agree that the XPS system SOUNDS like the best system on the market. JR/ Spektrum capture 2 frequencies/ channels and hold them till the radio is turned off, praying that no nearby cordless phones/ wireless routers steal those channels till after you are finnished with the flight. Futaba changing channels every 2 milliseconds, with a few Futaba radios on at the same time chances are that they may all jam up on one channel at once.

And then we come to XPS, the first receiver that transmits back to the transmitter. It captures a channel, (maybe two so the receiver can communicate back to the transmitter), until information is lost, and then it changes channels. The fact that you have two way communications would mean that this is a more reliable system. The problem is that Xtreme Power Systems does not carry their own radio. You have to rely on flipping over your radio and looking at flashing leds to check the programming of the module. If XPS carried their own radio system, all the information could be displayed on the front screen, including telemetry/temp/battery status, or any other data you would want to share with your airplane/car/boat.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM
jrcaster

I would have to agree that the XPS system SOUNDS like the best system on the market. JR/ Spektrum capture 2 frequencies/ channels and hold them till the radio is turned off, praying that no nearby cordless phones/ wireless routers steal those channels till after you are finnished with the flight. Futaba changing channels every 2 milliseconds, with a few Futaba radios on at the same time chances are that they may all jam up on one channel at once.

And then we come to XPS, the first receiver that transmits back to the transmitter. It captures a channel, (maybe two so the receiver can communicate back to the transmitter), until information is lost, and then it changes channels. The fact that you have two way communications would mean that this is a more reliable system. The problem is that Xtreme Power Systems does not carry their own radio. You have to rely on flipping over your radio and looking at flashing leds to check the programming of the module. If XPS carried their own radio system, all the information could be displayed on the front screen, including telemetry/temp/battery status, or any other data you would want to share with your airplane/car/boat.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: jrcaster

You misunderstand how the spectrum works. First, any other device that turns on and finds the channels used by a JR/Spektrum device will not "steal" those channels, it will simply find another. Second, given the way the Futaba system hops, and does so randomly, there is no worry about there being a low limit to the number of systems that can work at a time. The XPS system stays locked until it needs to hop. The RX determines this need and tells the TX where to hop (actually it tells the TX where it is going and where the TX can expect the RX to be).

Marketing hype aside, all three are proven and reliable methods of implementing 2.4 SS radio links. They have been used in many devices long before RC model applications came along.

In a way this is a bit like arguing which PCM, Futaba, JR, or Airtronics, woks the best. Each is encoded and decoded slightly differently (hence the lack of compatibility) but nobody ever made an issue of it.

As far as marketing goes, I will not be surprised to see Spektrum/JR/Futaba to perhaps counter with their own ad campaign asking if you really want to fly your planes using a wireless router radio like they use at a Starbucks hotspot!! Marketing is great fun, and the very best makes it hard work on the consumer to separate the wheat from the chaff!!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM
BillS

And then we come to XPS, the first receiver that transmits back to the transmitter. It captures a channel, (maybe two so the receiver can communicate back to the transmitter), until information is lost, and then it changes channels. The fact that you have two way communications would mean that this is a more reliable system.
I don’t think there is any transmit back capability while flying which would make the above statements untrue.

Bill
Old 04-24-2007, 11:54 AM
BillS

The XPS system stays locked until it needs to hop.
I am not sure how a change in frequency would be determined without two-way communication.

Bill
Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BillS

The XPS system stays locked until it needs to hop.
I am not sure how a change in frequency would be determined without two-way communication.

Bill
OK. I was not making a comment about that, but I agree with you. My post addressed the fact that there are three different ways of implementing SS for our use. All three have been shown to work just fine.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
jrcaster

Silent AV8R, The Spektrum radio is programmed to find an open channel before it transmits. They also state in their adds that they share the band with wireless routers, cordless phones, and a bunch of other things designed to operate in the 2.4Ghz band. I don't remember any of the other items advertising Spread Spectrum. It is not manditory for anything to check the band before it starts transmitting. So they can steal that channel even though your radio is using it. And don't forget Blue Tooth. That is in the 2.4Ghz band too. It is being offered on most of the new Cell Phones.

BillS, According to XPS's own adds, the receiver does transmit back to the transmitter, "bidirectional communications".