Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba Servo

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:44 PM
zeng62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba Servo

Does anybody know why the Futaba S3305 servo is not for aircraft use?????????
Old 04-28-2007, 08:50 PM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Futaba Servo

Yep it is not accurate enough for aircraft use. It is for Car or ground use.... I'm using two for the airlerons on my X100 they work well but they are sloppy...

Good luck,

Hibrass
Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 PM
zeng62

When you say sloppy do you mean the gear train or centering? I have one on each of the ailerons on my Reactor and see no problems yet.
GSM
Old 04-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

Zeng,

The centering seems ok... It is the gear train I'm refering to when I say sloppy... I haven't run into flutter problems with this servo on my X100 but I fly with a 6 pitch prop and watch my speed at all times...

Hibrass
Old 04-29-2007, 08:24 AM
noterman

Futaba says that the centering is not precise enough for aircraft. I haven't used them myself, but have heard of several people using them successfully.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

noterman is correct on Futaba's reasoning...

I've got 3305's all the way around on a Funtana 90 running a YS-110, all the linkages are way overboard HD stuff due to the aileron flutter history of that model, but the servos have been trouble free in that application. I don't think I'd use them for something you wanted precision responses from like an IMAC bird...[8D]
Old 04-30-2007, 03:54 PM
flipstart

I started using the 3305s in WWI planes, 1/5 & 1/4 scale, all went well at first-now I have had 3 failures, fortunately all were caught prior to flying. They start out being slow to respond, and gradually get worse. Scary part is the response is erratic. 3 or 4 checks might look ok, then wham-slow or no response. No crashes, second season of use, one failure was in first season. 2 failed on pull pull rudders, and 1 on pushrod for elevator. No adverse loading or binding.
Servos also act the same when checked on test bench, different receiver and battery, no load-same results as when in the plane.
Planning on switching to Hi tec 645s -3/12 is too high failure rate to lose a scale airplane. Maybe I got a bad batch-as a lot of flyers are using these servos as I checked before going to this servo on airplanes.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 AM
zeng62

Futaba's response is:
"Futaba does not recommend the use of that servo in airplanes. It was not designed for the vibration that can be found in airplanes and may fail. Also the gear train is not as precise as those designed for aircraft. If you do use it in an airplane, it is at your own risk."
This is a direct E-Mail from futaba.
GSM