Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio interference

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Snake River Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio interference

my question is; will an fm radio system work with a weedeater motor ? I have one installed in an alluminum Jet boat with an Echo motor. With the motor idling, and power is turned on the throttle servo goes nuts! I had the same problem with an AM system. Please give me some advice
Old 05-19-2007, 01:19 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Default RE: Radio interference

An FM system should work fine if it is insulated from any interference generated by the motor. I always set up my gas-powered airplanes with an FM receiver first to make sure there are no problems, before switching over to a PCM receiver.

I always try to use the 12 inch rule first when trying to eliminate interference from a gas engine. That simply means keep every part of the on-board radio system at least 12 inches from any part of the engine. That includes servos, batteries, receiver, switches, etc. Can't always do it but the farther away the better.

Next, make sure you don't have a metal pushrod going to the throttle. Use nyrod or weedeater line.

Is it possible to ground your engine through the hull into the water? The aluminum hull may be reflecting interference back into the receiver. Just a thought...

Use a resistor style spark plug as they generate less electrical interference.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:50 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've run many weed eater motors with a standard FM reciever. Just make sure that you are using a resitor plug (has an R in the part number) and that you have no metal to metal contacts in the vehicle that can vibrate or rub together. Be sure to use a nonconductive throttle pushrod (nyrod works well) and keep as much seperation between the ignition wiring and the radio and associated equipment as possible. Iv'e gotten by with as little as 5 inches but more is better. Keep the antenna seperated as far as you can from the ignition wiring. Your worst enemy will be metal to metal contacts somewhere that rub together. It is okay to have metals touching one another, just make sure they are securly fastened together so no movement can take place.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:07 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

the motor to receiver do not know that it was in a weed eater 1st. def check that spark plug i bet it just a ab-23 vise an RAB-23 the R = resistor