Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Old Airtronic servo with new Airtronic radio.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 09:37 PM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Airtronic servo with new Airtronic radio.

Hi All. I have a new complete Airtronics VG-6000 radio system. I also have about 15 old aritronic servo from the mid 80'S. I've read that they can be used with the new system, but the wires have to be changed, but it doesn't say what order they have to be changed too. I know I have modify the connector andn thats no problem. Does anyone know what wires have to be changed? If I do get the wires wrong. will it hurt the receiver? I know there is a + and - and a signel wire.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:21 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Old Airtronic servo with new Airtronic radio.

Switch the pos(+) & neg(-) wires. Put the pos(+) wire in the center. Signal and neg(-) on the outer sides.
Just remember that they are switched, if you decide to use them in the older receiver again. Otherwise, you may "let the smoke out", and they will no longer work without smoke.[]
Old 06-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Used to be, Airtronics would change the plugs for you for about $1.50 each. Now that they've been bought by Global, you'd have to check with them and see. Else you could buy the adapters from Tower. The old black ATX plugs won't fit your receiver if it has the Z connector style or any other receiver made in recent years unless you shave them down.

Check this thread for connector compatibility to swap the wires: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392644
Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 AM
tewitt1949

Ok, I understand the above posts, but there is still one problem. My old servos. all wires are black and one has a gray strip in it. How do I know which is + and -, they are both black. If for some reason I get them backwards, will I smoke the servo or receiver? Thanks again
Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the picture of the "old" Airtronics in the link posted above. Just compare the wire orientation to the alignment keys on the connector.
Sounds like you have "really" old servos. All my old style servos have 2 black and a red wire. Red wire is pos(+). Center black is neg(-).
Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
carrellh

I don't know if mixing the wires will fry anything. With three black wires, I'd be afraid to swap them around. Unless the old servos are something really special, I'd just replace them. Four new "standard" servos cost less than a receiver.

<< Oops! >> I just realized you have 15 of these servos. Buying all new ones would be a bigger chunk than I was originally thinking.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Gray striped wire is the signal wire. If you get it wrong, it won't smoke the receiver but it may or may not damage the servo. I doubt it. I've plugged a lot of servo's in backwards and haven't hurt them.

For the $25 it would cost to get Airtronics to replug them, it's likely worth it. That's not even the cost of two of their 94102 standard servo's. Then you're done.