Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airplane rudder gyro

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
petya
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airplane rudder gyro

Dear Friends :

I'm building a old Christen Eagle kit from Pilot OK models . Will be very hard work to make it a beautiful plane.

How do I know the bad habits of Eagles, I bought a JR G270 gyro (i'm great fan of JR) to install at the rudder of this masterpiece.

Has anyone tried this gyro ? What was the result ?

I will use a 9303 or a 10X , not decided yet , to turn it off when i want .

Thanks .

Sorry my poor english , i'm from Brazil .
Old 03-13-2011, 04:07 PM
dditch

I know from helicopter guys, it's a decent MEMS gyro.
Note that you MUST use a digital servo with this gyro.
Set the deadband switch on the gyro to LOW

Installation is similar to how this was done:
http://www.mycoolrc.com/gyro/ruddergyroinstall1.html

Good Luck

ORIGINAL: petya

Dear Friends :

I'm building a old Christen Eagle kit from Pilot OK models . Will be very hard work to make it a beautiful plane.

How do I know the bad habits of Eagles, I bought a JR G270 gyro (i'm great fan of JR) to install at the rudder of this masterpiece.

Has anyone tried this gyro ? What was the result ?

I will use a 9303 or a 10X , not decided yet , to turn it off when i want .

Thanks .

Sorry my poor english , i'm from Brazil .
Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 PM
petya

THANKS !! Any information will help a lot !!

I bought this servo to use at rudder with the gyro :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9979

I'm quite convinced that it is a good servo, a very experienced friend that flies helicopters advised me .

Of course i will try both in a cheap plane before use it in my Eagle
Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
dditch

Petya,
I take it back, that gyro manual I see says Small electric helis only. That means they may have problems with vibrations.

That servo is a good sevo, but it is ultra narrow bandswith and not a normal digital. It won't work with that gyro (your heli buddies should have warned you).

PIck a regular non 760uS servo.

I recommend a Futaba GY401gyro for bigger planes.

Rudder servos are not demanding even on a gyro. FInd out what digital servos people are using in that plane and pick one.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 AM
petya

TKS again !
Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I keep seeing a reference in this thread, to an article written about Gyros used in Airplanes, where can one find this article, I have been using Futaba GYA 350 Gyros for several years on the rudder in a couple of Tail draggers and they have worked without any problem, HH/AVCS on take off, and turn off once airbourne; I have a couple of new projects and will want to use Gyros on the Rudders; however, the GYA350 gyros are no longer available, therefore I am looking at the Futaba GY401; are these set up the same as the 350's; I'm using a Futaba 10C, if someone could post the set up of a 401 for Airplane Rudder would be great, this forum is great, a lot of information about every Gyro, need the scoop on the 401. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 AM
petya

I know your question is this, and I apologize for beating without answering it, but it seems like this hobbyking gyro :

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6755

has been well evaluated for rudder and is far cheaper than the 401.

Sorry my poor english .
Old 04-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Ben Lanterman

Good Morning dasintex - look at Post 551.

Ben
Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dasintex, here is exactly what you are looking for to setup up your 10C. Page 11, post 262
Old 04-16-2011, 05:28 AM
dasintex

Ken;

That exactly what I was looking for, I wasn't looking forward to reading the entire thread and have to wade through all the stuff that I don't need, these threads are good but sometimes information overload, all of it great info from a lot of good people with great experiences; on my set up, I have a P-40 with flaps, so I will have to use a channel other than 6 for the Sensitivity lead, I have a couple of other planes that I have been using Futaba GYA350 Gyros, and one of my questions was that the GY401 looked the same as the GYA350, and my thought was that the set up would be the same, I will have to compare my set up I have with GYA350's, it's been awhile since I set them up, but your set up instructions for the 401 sound familiar, so I'm thinking both GYA350 and the GY401 operate the same, maybe someone will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong

Thanks. Doug
Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 AM
Big_Bird

Glad I could help Doug. Seems that are two schools of thought on using gyros on airplanes. First, there is the one that you, me, and Ben subscribe to. That is, use the gyro on the rudder in AVCS (HH) mode for takeoff and then turn it off or use it on rate. The gyro is only a tool to help me get off the ground safely in a cross wind. The other is to rig up two or three control surfaces to allow one to show his skills at 3D flying. This is also a valid use of gyros. I'm not a 3D pilot, although I love to try at times with my foamey, but I really like to fly the plane wothout using the gyro except for takeoff. Giant scale is my thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24541.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1595037  
Old 04-18-2011, 07:14 PM
dasintex

A quick question on Gyro Placement; I used one in a Decathlon and the Gyro was placed aft of the CG and along the axis being controlled; the Decathlon being a High Wing with the wing being removed for interior fuselage access from the top, therefore the Gyro was placed inside the fuselage facing skyward; on the P-40 I'm putting together, the fuselage interior is accessed from the bottom when the wing is removed, therefore the Gyro will be mounted inside the fuselage, aft of the CG and facing the ground; does this matter with the GY401 or any Gyro, if it faces up or down?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Ben Lanterman

Hi dasintex,

To the best of my knowledge it doesn't matter which way is up or down. I have a couple of dozen gyros in various airplanes and as long as the axis is aligned correctly - for example the yaw axis of the airplane with the yaw axis of the gyro - the gyro can be positioned anywhere on or in the airplane and up or down. It is neat that these things work this way for us.

Good flying,

Ben
Old 04-19-2011, 12:52 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

I have HK401b's upside down in my Kyosho fighters. They work fine.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Placement is irrelevent as long as its flat to the axis its controlling.

Upside down gyros will only work when you're flying inverted.

Ok I'm kidding, it will be fine. If you flip the gyro over you may have to flip the REV/NOR switch on the gyro, the key is to make sure its correcting the right way BEFORE you take off

In the old days before the reverse switch, the only way to reverse the gyro output was to flip it over.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Silverexpress

Hello,

Has anyone installed a gyro in a nitro plane, and experienced drifting (guess it would be uncommanded roll, pitch and or yaw) from vibrations?
Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Ben Lanterman

Good Morning -

Install a gyro in a nitro plane? With all of that goo and mess and noise? If you must! I don't see any reason why you couldn't after all they have been used in nitro/glow/gas/electric helicopters of all sizes for years. I don't know how well the really inexpensive gyros would stand up to the vibration of a nice out of balance prop, but, in general gyros have been used in literally everything that I know of. The mechanical failure possibility of a cheap gyro is the only potential problem.

Ben
Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

I was going to say, we've been running them in nitro helis for years, and given the open frame design of a typical pod and boom heli, thats a lot more harsh environment.

Get you some 3m 77 outdoor mounting tape. Available at Wallymart or wherever, its grey tape with red backing. Install the gyro with 2 layers of tape. If you mount it too mushy in a misguided attempt at vibration isolation then you're going to siginificantly degrade its performance.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Silverexpress

Thanks guys, will do. I'm intrigued with Real Flight's Yak 54 with gyros, and would like to build the real thing but in a smaller scale. I've been eyeing Pheonix model's Yak 54 .46, and would like to use an OS Max .56 four-stroke in one. Call me old fashion but I like the sound and the tweaking of a nitro. It will be my second, the first was a Cox 0.49, lol, about 30 yrs ago. Hopefully things have changed.

For gyro's, I'll be using 3 Spartan Quarks that I've been flying in a foam Spitfire since December. Not going cheap on this one with a four stroke, but to be honest all three are used ($ 1/2 off).

My LHS, has a Matt Chapman Eagle 580 .46. Beautiful plane, but from what I read it's more of a sport plane than 3D. I may go with this one, and an OS Max .55 2 stroke which will turn a 12x8.

I've added gyro's to Real Flight's version of the Electrifly Matt Chapman 50" version to see how it would fly, and you can get it here.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post17590156
Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
dditch

No matter the brand or cost of the gyro, when I've put them into a nitro, I open up the case and apply E6000 goop to the board securing it to the case and to the wires soldered to the board. The only failures I"ve seen in gyros has been wires comming loose,frayed,shorted inside the case from the wires vibrating or being pulled in a crash or mishandling. That's my only worry about even a cheap Piezo gyro. Most of the time when you hear of a cheap piezo gyro failing, it's really the inexperianced owner doing something wrong in the setup, mounting or handling. Dozens of times, I've had someone bring me a heli where they said the gyro was broken. Every time but one, it was the mechanical setup, electronic setup or something silly like picking a slow servo for the tail. Then they go around claiming a cheap gyro was the problem. Quark is a good gyro so just make sure you have set up the gyro speed setting in the quark and your gonna be fine.

Good Luck
Old 04-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Silverexpress

Thanks dditch, those are sound words of advice. :-) this is fun stuff.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Futaba GY401 gyro for rudder control on take off on my H9 Pulse XT 60 with an OS .61 AX engine. Take off run is in HH mode and I switch to off (rate mode 3% gain) once I am a couple of feet off the ground. Today I hit the wrong switch and did not realize it. Once I got to altitude I started to turn and the plane went crazy, climbing rapidly. I would push down and the plane would start to roll[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]. I thought I had a serious control problem. It was almost out of sight when I got it turned around. I found I could slowly turn with ailerons only but the plane had to be level before I dared use the elevator. I almost lost it three times but after about 5 minutes I got it level and lined up with the runway. I cut the engine to idle and brought it in for a perfect landing down the center of the runway. It was only when I went to taxi the plane back, I found the rudder would not work. That is when I realized that the plane was in HH mode because when in that mode I have a mix to block the rudder stick. When I got the plane back to the pits I found there was a brown stain on the bottom of the fuselage. I am sure the plane thought I was trying to kill it. That was the craziest and scariest flight I have had in 38 years of flying RC. I suggest no one else try that.

Bruce
Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM
dditch

Landeck, have you thought about taking off in Rate mode with some gain, and setting your off position to 3% rate mode?
YOu will find that you can work the rudder on take off and it's still SOO much better than if you don't have any gyro at all.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:57 AM
landeck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but I have been using rudder gyro in HH mode since last summer and never a problem before. It is not that I foregot to try to turn off the gyro, rather I hit the wrong switch. Normally I have my left middle finger resting on the gyro switch during takeoff and this time I didn't. I will not do that again.

Bruce
Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Big_Bird

Bruce, the nice thing about that flight is that YOU WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. Glad you got it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.