Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

AM Receivers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 04:51 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM Receivers

Do AM receivers have high and low bands like FM receivers? I have a set of AM crystals on channel 48 that I want to use on a receiver which originally came with a channel 52 designation. Is this a problem? If AM recievers have high and low band like FM receivers do, it wouldn't be a problem. If they're specifically tuned, then it would be. I've plugged the crystals in, and I have control, so I know it physically works, but I was thinking more along the lines of range etc.

Thanks!
Reid
Old 03-07-2003, 05:26 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AM Receivers

Reid,

Futaba does have high and low AM receivers, at least the R114H AM ones do. Going from 52 to 48 will not be a problem. Receivers are not tuned to one channel like a transmitter.

If it works and it passes range check, have fun! That is what I would do.

Later!
Old 03-07-2003, 05:38 PM
strato911

Default AM Receivers

Not all manufacturers use the "high band" / "low band" system, but for those that do, the same applies to AM recievers. Also, you cannot use an AM crystal in an FM reciever.

Rules for crystals - if I miss any, please add them...

1). Crystals are ussually not cross compatible to other brands - don't even try for saftey reasons.
2). Crystals for recievers cannot be used for transmitters, and vice-versa.
3). Crystals for Dual conversion (DC) recievers don't work with single conversion (SC) recievers and vice-versa.
4). Crystals for AM systems don't work for FM, and vice-versa.
5a). Futaba tunes their receivers for "high band" / "low band", don't use "low band" crystals in "high band" recievers or vice-versa.
5b). Hitec center tunes recievers for the entire band, so you can use any channel on any reciever.
5c). Airtronics, JR, Multiplex, etc... I don't know how they handle the "high band" / "low band" issue.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:46 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Default AM Receivers

Great! I'm using a R114H receiver, so I should be all set up for the weekend!

Thanks!
Reid