Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A dumb Rx question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 03:58 AM
cropdusterdave
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A dumb Rx question

Hi folks,
Just a dumb question about Rx's. I'm getting my first programmable radio. Will any old brand-compatible Rx work to program mixes and stuff, or will I need to update my recievers? We're talking 10-year old stuff here, and a new 4 ch. micro sized flight pack also.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2003, 04:04 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the receiver is shift-compatible you're okay for PPM operations. The Transmitter does all the work and tells the receiver what to do. For PCM operatoins you will need a receiver that is PCM compatible and brand specific.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:21 AM
cropdusterdave

OK, how about if I'm using a RD 6000 which can change shift...am I still ok with Futaba and Hitec recievers? I think that makes it "shift compatable", right?
Old 03-10-2003, 04:25 AM
Flyfalcons

Yeah, that's fine, but make sure you don't get PCM receivers, because Futaba and Hitec PCM receivers (not sure if Hitec has PCM) won't talk to the transmitter. FM receivers will work fine and you can do everything except program a PCM failsafe. Remember, the transmitter takes care of the complicated mixing and sends instructions to the receiver.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:32 AM
cropdusterdave

Alright, cool. Just one more for ya. I believe "low band" is ch. 35 and below and "high band" is 36-60. If I have a Hitec Rx that has a ch 26 crystal in it now and my new radio is channel 50....am I good to replace that crystal with a ch 50 crystal? Or am I getting screwed up...or am I completely out in space somewhere?

I tell ya, get out of this hobby for 7 years and you have to really play catch up!

Thanks for all the help by the way!
Old 03-10-2003, 04:41 AM
Flyfalcons

I don't know if Hitec makes low/high band receivers. If they don't then you are fine. If they are like Futaba then they tune the Rx for low band or high band, and it would be better not to switch bands.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:42 AM
strato911

Hitec doesn't split the band into low band and high band. Their receivers can be switched to any channel within the band. As far as I know, Futaba is the only one who splits the band into low band and high band
Old 03-10-2003, 04:51 AM
cropdusterdave

Thanks alot folks!
glad this forum is here, I"d be lost without it.

I think I'll get the RD 6000, and run it with some hitec hardware in other airplanes. I can't wait to set up all these goodies.

Hard to think about flyin' now though, currently -13 deg F. and windy. (I'm better at building kits than flying)
Old 03-10-2003, 05:38 AM
David Cutler

Default Re: A dumb Rx question

Originally posted by cropdusterdave
Hi folks,
Just a dumb question about Rx's. I'm getting my first programmable radio. Will any old brand-compatible Rx work to program mixes and stuff, or will I need to update my recievers? We're talking 10-year old stuff here, and a new 4 ch. micro sized flight pack also.

Thanks!
I see the responses already effectively give the answer.

I just wanted to say the only dumb question is the one we don't ask.

-DC