Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Xtremelink

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM
JugMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Xtremelink

Like I said, I'm sure the product works fine. Just be aware that XPS takes advantage of every possible method of reducing costs (as was explained to me), and as a consequence, you will not get service from XPS as you would from others, as this would increase costs I was told. You will get the service you paid for I suppose.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:36 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Thats the wrong place to save money.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM
walterPPK

XtremeLink works perfectly on my GP Yak54, Hirobo Shuttle ZXX and my Raptor30V2.

I'm using it on my Futaba 9C and I cannot say anything bad about it.

Shipping is Xtremely Slow, but the product is awesome.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 AM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Actually the service is first rate. If you have a problem the system will be replaced. The postal system does not have a good tracking system, and that is a problem. I am using the system with my 10X in two jets and various other planes. No problems so far. Bob
Old 08-27-2007, 11:54 PM
pllove

I have had great service. You fill out the tech form on the website or pm Jim Drew. I have always gotten an answer back within 24 hours.

Most information was found in the manual that I needed. Other information was found on his vendor forum on RCG.

Not having the phone is a disadvantage I believe to many people. I do hope he does add the Live chat feature to the website that he mentioned earlier. Also I do hope that he offers alternative shipping options other than USPS. Their tracking system is in the stone age. Although I did ship something to him with Ground UPS and it took 4 days. So the shipping time is not too bad. Just would ben nice to have an alternative.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:38 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, setting up the failsafe and other features with only one button and LED can be frustrating at first but once you get through it a couple of times it becomes second nature. best bet is to learn the procedure early in the morning when the brain is still fresh and not in the evening after a few beers...

as for phone support, i could care less. would never use it anyways and never have with any other product. and if i do run into some kind of problem i would probably find the answer on a thread someone else already started. shipping was a real pain when i ordered but USPS was also going through some weird transition at the same time, orders from tower and digikey were also affected. in the end i did get it and somehow jim managed to slip it through customs without a hitch[8D]

oh, and it works great in planes too...

dave
Old 08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
chrisF test pilot

Same here, have it in my 9Z and flying it in 5 different airframes from a trainer, to a 40 size pattern plane, to a 1/4 scale Extra. No issues at all.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:46 AM
dirtybird

I am happy to learn you fellows are happy with non telephone support.
When this hobby began, it was normal to go to contests and talk with the designer of the equipment. Or be able to pick up the telephone and get straight on things you did not understand.
Then the asians took over and you can't even get a schematic of their systems. They deliberately made their stuff throw away equipment.
I had hoped thet we would be back to the initial concept when the designers returned to this country.
The way Mr Drew choses to operate he might just as well be in China.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an XPS TX module for the Futaba 9C, along with an 8 channel RX. I've been flying them on a Goldberg Wildstik 1.20 using a BCMA 26cc gasoline engine with electronic ignition. My airplane is a noisy environment. The XPS system has been rock solid. I cannot comment on customer support because the system JUST WORKS.

I just bought 2 more receivers and will recommend XPS.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:39 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I am happy to learn you fellows are happy with non telephone support.
When this hobby began, it was normal to go to contests and talk with the designer of the equipment. Or be able to pick up the telephone and get straight on things you did not understand.
Then the asians took over and you can't even get a schematic of their systems. They deliberately made their stuff throw away equipment.
I had hoped thet we would be back to the initial concept when the designers returned to this country.
The way Mr Drew choses to operate he might just as well be in China.

If you are "happy to learn you fellows are happy with non telephone support" , why do keep bringing it up? After all, you ARE happy, right?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:24 PM
dirtybird

I was very unhappy when I was unable to get that failsafe system programmed when I wanted to use it. It turns out I was using the wrong firmware instructions. There is nothing on the receiver or on the web site that says which firmware version applies. Also in one firmware version it says the reset will not work in receivers shipped before July 12. The previous version does not tell you that. But the previous version is what you are to use on receivers shipped prior to June. At least that is the way I understand it.
There are always problems like this when new products are introduced. It helps greatly when reasonable lines of communication are available.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:43 PM
pllove

While there is no telephone support, I have had no problem getting ahold of XPS or Jim Drew to get answers via email. I have alway had an answer withing 24 hours. Many times sooner than that. I too wish they had phone support, but can live without it.

I have had a Futaba radio for 4-5 years now and I can say thay my experience with their support is not nearly as good. I have sent them emails and I usually get a automated response back within hours, but most of the time it is generic and does not cover the original question. I have to email 2-3 times to get my answer.

I have also repeatidly asked for some solution similiar to the JR datasafe product as other people I know have as well. It been several years and Futaba just does not seem to care. I guess if it bugs me enough one day I will either upgrade to a different radio or buy JR.

We have more access to the designer of the XPS system then we do with the big name companies. So far from what I have seen XPS is willing to bring solutions to the market based on it's customers needs/wants.

Jim has stated that they are kicking around the Idea of adding a Live Chat option on their website.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM
dirtybird

Right you can get an answer within 24 hrs. With the telephone you could get an answer in 15 minutes and you don't need a computer or internet connection.
I don't doubt you have had trouble getting answers from the big asian companies.
It just galls me that here we have a company right here in the US and they refuse to use the most common from of communication.
I just wonder if they will be around after the big boys get geared up.
A lot of modelers I know don't even know about them simply because they are computer illiterates.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:27 PM
pllove

I guess only time will tell. Really there are only a few choices here:

1.) Keep politely reminding Jim Drew we really want phone support. If he decides to do it it will increase his and our cost. Be carefull what you ask for!

2.) Keep using your XPS module/rx's and be happy or tolerant of just email/internet support.

3.) Sell your XPS stuff and buy someone elses equipment so you can have phone support. It will cost you atleast $100.00 more up front from what I have seen.

As for me I am keeping my XPS equipment!
Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 PM
maustin
My Feedback: (7)

Gentleman, I have been doing like a lot of folks, reviewing, studing and reading till my eyes hurt on 2.4. Has anyone had experience with carbon type fuses using XPS? I have a Aeroslave pattern plane that is a carbon/mat/fiberglass material fuse and with my 8103 72 mgh pcm I always run my antanea out the bottom to avoid interference. Will XPS have a problem with this?

Thanks,
maustin
Old 08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
martinan

ORIGINAL: maustin

Gentleman, I have been doing like a lot of folks, reviewing, studing and reading till my eyes hurt on 2.4. Has anyone had experience with carbon type fuses using XPS? I have a Aeroslave pattern plane that is a carbon/mat/fiberglass material fuse and with my 8103 72 mgh pcm I always run my antanea out the bottom to avoid interference. Will XPS have a problem with this?

Thanks,
maustin

Maustin,

You should be able to use it, just make sure to install the receiver in a location as high in the fuselage as possible 2 inches away from metal/ CF and moving wires (like ALL 2.4Ghz receivers).

Several guys have been mounting the receiver in their heli's strapped next CF and have had no problems. Just make sure to do a proper range test before you fly.

I have my receiver in a Cermark F-16 up above all my equipment in the Turtle-deck/ Canopy area and have had no issues with this location.

Andre.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Right you can get an answer within 24 hrs. With the telephone you could get an answer in 15 minutes and you don't need a computer or internet connection.
I don't doubt you have had trouble getting answers from the big asian companies.
It just galls me that here we have a company right here in the US and they refuse to use the most common from of communication.
I just wonder if they will be around after the big boys get geared up.
A lot of modelers I know don't even know about them simply because they are computer illiterates.

Just for the record...my satellite service has telephone service. I was on hold for 82 minutes the other day after pushing about a dozen buttons to get there but..."my call was important to them" so please stay on the line.

Sorry I'm one that likes email if it is paid attention to.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 AM
marc s

Guys, I'm from the UK and was interested to check out the X systems, sent two emails over 2 weeks ago and nothing[] Not a good start in my eyes - business is about service is it not?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:49 AM
martinan

Marc,

The email response may be a bit slow but the response from the forum will be much quicker. Jim is on the forum "every day" responding to questions.

Here's a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/xtreme-power-systems-483/

You will have to sign up to post questions though (no big deal).

Andre.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:04 AM
pllove

If you have sent emails to the tech and sales email addresses not sure why you have not had a response. I have not had any problems with getting email responses from the sales address.

As mentioned earlier if you use the RCG forum that usaully is the quickest. Another alternative is to sent JimDrew a PM from the RCG forum as well.

The emails/PM's I have sent have always been answered wittin 24 hours. Most of the time withing 6 hours.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
chasrb

I have a question about using the XPS and the Smart Fly power bus products. Is the XPS compatable with it?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 AM
dirtybird

you won't get an answer on xtremepowersystems.com. You have to use xtremepowersystems.net
Old 09-09-2007, 12:33 PM
chasrb

Thanks I just sent them an email.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Go here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722695

and here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6090747/tm.htm
Old 09-09-2007, 08:14 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

2 XPS systems at the field today, 1 brand new and 1 used several times. Absoulutly zero problems. We had problems on 72mhz though, channels 13, & 15. Also a scanner showed activity on 29 when no one had a Tx on on 29.[&o]
I see XPS in my future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.