Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Not name brand stuff, but need tech advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:05 AM
DjJiz420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not name brand stuff, but need tech advice.

Well... after getting flamed on a couple other forums Im hoping theres someone here that can seriously help.. I am not looking for advice on a " real " car because I dont want one... I want to make due with what I got for now.... eventually a 7ch radio and custom chassis in 1/10 but right now Im on a little to no budget.

I purchased a couple 1/12 R/C Lowriders from Radio Shack for $18.00 each.... Couldnt really pass up the deal seing as there $70 off sale, and have an r/c itch from time to time and these are helping...

So far Ive modded the rear end with a tie rod so it drops and drags on the floor, and made the three wheel almost unlimited...

My problem is I want to hop the front as well... I figured Ill just have a switch from the servo going to my hopping motor to turn off stearing but hop....

Kind of a pain but I only have 3 channels to play with after the gas/ stearing.... 1 for lifting the rear, and 2 for 3 wheel right or left (same motor shared on three wheel arm).

1. Is there a way I can combine channels for multy functions? If so, how?

2. Im wanting to change a couple buttons in my remote as well but need help identifying the switch.... Ill get pics if someone thinks they can help...

3.Does anyone know about resistors by chance? I know Ill need one on my hopping motor so I dont burn out the main board.

Im looking at some sites right now on some basic electronics so maybe Ill get this part solved myself.... Im still not sure how to test or what to test... Ive got a DMM but Ive been in car audio for the past 3 years, and dont remember what the other settings do.

4. I need a servo to spin a full rotation one way. Im just skipping the electronics in it and hooking the motor direct. I know there not made but Im pretty sure they can be modded. Anyone know of some servo brands that I might use?

There should be a stop pin on the main servo gear I belive, that when removed should let the servo spin 360 degrees.

If you want to see what Im using for insperation, look at these http://www.e-zone.nl/jevries/

files named b64xxx are a 1/10 hopper.

Heres pics of what Im with right now...
http://photo.starblvd.net/djjiz420_2?st=album&pg=5

I can get pics of any part needed if it could help.

Thank you guys!

Chad
Old 03-13-2003, 05:48 PM
DjJiz420

ANY help or ideas here? Is this the wrong spot for these questions?
Old 03-13-2003, 08:31 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default car

Try posting under cars that would be better
Old 03-15-2003, 08:38 AM
Lynx

What you want to do is difficult to do with what you have. Not to mention complex. You need to get basic electronics books and understand how they work to do any kind of signal splitting like that. Your best bet is to buy a real transmitter and receiver to use. You can find these cheap if you try e-bay or look in the for sale section here. There is no getting around it, it's either going to cost you cash for the xmitter and receiver, or it's going to cost you serious time learning the electronics (several months) not to mention money for books unless you plan on spending time at the library. It's cheaper to make it yourself, but you have to be interested in the electronics aspect of it as well or you'll get nowhere in a hurry. Send me a PM and I can offer whatever help I'm capable of.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:03 PM
DjJiz420

OMG... Thank you so very much for replying with an honest opinion... and not being sarcastic... Been real hard to get streight answeres from anyone.

I do understand this would be alot easier to pick up a 5ch or more setup but if I did that I know I would be in over my head. This is just a part time hobby right now and Icant afford to make it a full time one.

Ive been in car audio seriously the past two years so I do have a understanding... its just what setting/ features would I need on a DMM to find signals? What I have in mind is very easy but I would like to understand more.

Ive been doing my homework online but need more tech sites. If anyone might know a good read or two out there please post them.

I really want to learn and understand why x does y and so on before spending any more cash. Plus I take more pride building my own then buying a bolt on part so if you honestly have some time Id love to learn more.

Another problem with buying a real xmitter and reciver is I cant really hold on to a pistol grip, and the two stick xmitters are to far apart for me to use... see I only have one hand to work with because of some bad surgury so these little controlers are much easier for me to drive.

Thanks again for the reply! I knew there was someone out there that would give me a chance.... plus took pride in building there own stuff...

Chad
Old 03-16-2003, 11:36 PM
Lynx

A DMM is useless for signals. You've been in car audio, do you have access to an oscilisope? Audio osc's are perfect for RC signal work. If you don't you can use your computers sound card and a program (look on yahoo) called Osciliscope 2.51 to monitor low voltage signals. If you use voltage attenuators you can plug higher voltages into it. You need an osc with a bandwidth of at least 22khz 100khz or more would be better because timeing is important in RC signals.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:57 PM
DjJiz420

Ok... I figured as much testing it on some stuff... Only pieces I could read was the batt v and drive motor v.

I have access to a 'scope but wont again for a week at most. Im not real familiar with them but we have to gain match 4 amps to one sub... I better get good soon lol.

Ill try the sound card deal but Im on a HP Pavilion lap top so Im not sure of the quality..

Once I get the program Ill read up on it... 56k so it might be a while

Thanks again!

Chad
Old 03-17-2003, 12:06 AM
Lynx

The quality is pretty much the same no matter what you use for the sound card osc. Sound cards are pretty standard, even the highest of the high end ones won't make a difference when you're monitoring a signal.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:08 AM
DjJiz420

ok... thank you
Old 03-17-2003, 12:43 AM
DjJiz420

Damn... I got the program but it quits responding?!?! The download says its for win95. Could that be a problem? Ive looked for a newer version but no luck.

Sorry to bother you but do you have any sugestions? Ill play around with my sound card and the program a little but everything so far seems set up ok.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Lynx

I've used it on 95 98 and XP just fine. 2.51 is the latest one I've found, and I doubt it's updated anymore. OptaScope is the only other thing I can think of that is reasonably price, and even that's something like 180bucks. The Optascope is a 2 channel 200khz osc that plugs into the USB port on your PC. Haven't bought one yet, but it looks great for hobby use.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:09 PM
DjJiz420

Hmmm... I use ME so that *might* be a problem but I doubt it. I didnt get much time to figure out a fix last night but today I hope to. Had to help a buddie that kept burning out his sylinoids on his hydrolics.... after checking his wireing and such for a couple hours, we found out the kid was switch happy and thats hows he is burning them up.... Pretty sad..
Old 03-17-2003, 10:36 PM
DjJiz420

Heres a 5.4 mb vid of a hopping 67 with corded switchbox. http://www.e-zone.nl/jevries/rc67hopping.rm ( right click, save as)

Still having problems tho... gotta do some relay reading....
Old 03-18-2003, 09:53 PM
DjJiz420

Lynx? Id there hope for me and this project?

Im finding I need more juice then the 5-6v Im getting. Can a relay help here?
Old 03-19-2003, 01:46 AM
Lynx

You really shouldn't need more than 5-6 volts for anything on RC scale, it's more than enough voltage, if you're having trouble getting that to do what you want then you need to take a look at your actuators and see if something more efficiant can't be designed. If you used a big enough capacitor you could use 5-6 volts pulsed through a voice coil actuator to make something jump 5 or 6 feet if you really wanted to =) It's making the actuators themselves that's the problem. I'm sure there's hope but the complexities are probably more than you're going to want to deal with in the end I think.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:04 AM
DjJiz420

lol..... Maybe your right Lynx....

Eather way I thought Id let you know we got it to work. Not sure how long anything might last but I got an extra board complete for $6... not a bad deal lol...

I had to re-build my front end but got some wheels mouted on the back last night... Ill post pics in a bit.

Thanks again,
Chad
Old 03-21-2003, 12:47 AM
DjJiz420

Ok.... updated pics here.... thanks again!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...865&forumid=42]
Old 09-18-2003, 01:48 AM
jevries

Default RE: Not name brand stuff, but need tech advice.

I'm laughing my ass off[sm=biggrin.gif]
Hopping wireless since march 2003.
Have fun!