Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4GHz Radios - enquiries.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:11 PM
David Gower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4GHz Radios - enquiries.

G'day from Oz,

I read these forums quite frequently but don't tend to use them much, generally being able to glean much of the info I need from questions, and their answers, already posted.
But I would like to ask a few questions about the new 2.4Ghz radio systems, please. []

1. Are they truly global? i.e. A set bought here in Oz could be used in say the USA or the UK without any problems with freq. clashes, or module changes - (although my radios are not equipped with modules anyway, so that last wouldn't apply).
Or, alternatively, a set bought in the USA could be used here in Oz.

2. The Futaba 6EX-2.4GHz system's Instruction manual, in the Usage Precautions on the Intro page, it states that - quote - 'Special attention must be paid before turning on the Tx while other models are running or flying because the 2.4GHz system may affect them' - surely then, this does not make them any better than the current 36MHz system I'm using here in Oz with quite adequate frequency control already in place?
If I'm understanding that precaution correctly - probably not - then there's apparently no real advantage because they can only really be used safely with other people ALL using 2.4GHz radios - after each of them has been 'Linked' to their relative Rxs individually. They would then, I suppose, not cause any problems with each other, but could still cause problems with non 2.4GHz radios?

3. The first of these last two questions may put the cat among the pigeons -
But which system - Futaba's FASST 6EX, or the Spektrum DX7 - (based on a JR Tx.) - is better, and why?
The Futaba has a single Rx while the Spektrum has two Rx modules.
Does this extra module add to the safety factors built into the Spektrum, or have Futaba been able to assemble their Rx with the same safety factors built into the one single Rx package?

I'll be really interested to read some of the responses to these questions.

Regards - David.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:26 PM
David Gower

Default RE: 2.4GHz Radios - enquiries.

P.S. to my post.

I just read Krystas response to the same Enquiry about the Safety Precautions, in the Futaba Section of this forum. I guess I should have done so before I posted I suppose []
However, even then, it really it still did not say whether any NON-2.4GHz sets would NOT be affected does it?
Are they really universally safe?

David
Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
3dd
My Feedback: (6)

A FLYER AT OUR FIELD LOST PLANE #5 ON A NEW DX7.AND YES IT HAS BEEN BACK TO THE SHOP TO BE CHECKED OUT AND HE DID CHECK HIS BATTERIES.6 volt packs still ove 5.4 in a 40 size kaos.i myself in reading all the reports will stay with my xps and wouldn't fly spectrum rectum if it was gave to me.just my opinion
Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let's see - 6 volt battery -still over 5.4

I can't bear to tell him --
Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Ed

Awww go ahead and tell him Richard, you iz bigger than me.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:42 AM
alan0899

ORIGINAL: David Gower

G'day from Oz,

I read these forums quite frequently but don't tend to use them much, generally being able to glean much of the info I need from questions, and their answers, already posted.
But I would like to ask a few questions about the new 2.4Ghz radio systems, please. []

1. Are they truly global? i.e. A set bought here in Oz could be used in say the USA or the UK without any problems with freq. clashes, or module changes - (although my radios are not equipped with modules anyway, so that last wouldn't apply).
Or, alternatively, a set bought in the USA could be used here in Oz.

2. The Futaba 6EX-2.4GHz system's Instruction manual, in the Usage Precautions on the Intro page, it states that - quote - 'Special attention must be paid before turning on the Tx while other models are running or flying because the 2.4GHz system may affect them' - surely then, this does not make them any better than the current 36MHz system I'm using here in Oz with quite adequate frequency control already in place?
If I'm understanding that precaution correctly - probably not - then there's apparently no real advantage because they can only really be used safely with other people ALL using 2.4GHz radios - after each of them has been 'Linked' to their relative Rxs individually. They would then, I suppose, not cause any problems with each other, but could still cause problems with non 2.4GHz radios?

3. The first of these last two questions may put the cat among the pigeons -
But which system - Futaba's FASST 6EX, or the Spektrum DX7 - (based on a JR Tx.) - is better, and why?
The Futaba has a single Rx while the Spektrum has two Rx modules.
Does this extra module add to the safety factors built into the Spektrum, or have Futaba been able to assemble their Rx with the same safety factors built into the one single Rx package?

I'll be really interested to read some of the responses to these questions.

Regards - David.

G'day David,
To answer your first question, you could use a DX7 bought in Aus, in the USA, but not the other way around, no "C" tick on the TX,
Second, don't know what the hell Futaba are on about, but I bet that bit in the manual is left over from earlier radios, & they didn't bother to change it.
Third, I have a DX7, & I can switch mine on anytime I want & know that I won't effect anyone else, & they won't effect me either, no matter what frequency they are on, 36meg or 2.4Ghz.
I personally prefer the DX7, a few reasons, 1, it has 7 channels, 2, it has lots of mix options, that the Futaba 6 channel does not have, & 3 it has great range, 4, it feels good, in my hands, 5, very easy to program & I'm sure there are more reasons, I can't think of at the moment.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 AM
David Gower

Thanks Allan,

As I am virtually computer illiterate, only knowing a reasonable amount about emails and surfing the Net, basically as I noted in my initial post. [] However I dunno how to do 'quotes' and other enhancements et al - except a few emoticons, in Forums (Fora?)
So if it's all right with you - please may I email you with a couple of questions and observations about your reply to my 2.4GHz post, about your experience with the Spektrum DX7. Mainly in relation to the two JR 36MHz Txs I already have. I will try not to take up too much of your time. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]

Regards from Sydney

David.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 AM
alan0899

G'day David,
Go for it, I PM'ed you as well as Emailed.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 AM
rmh

ORIGINAL: 3dd

A FLYER AT OUR FIELD LOST PLANE #5 ON A NEW DX7.AND YES IT HAS BEEN BACK TO THE SHOP TO BE CHECKED OUT AND HE DID CHECK HIS BATTERIES.6 volt packs still ove 5.4 in a 40 size kaos.i myself in reading all the reports will stay with my xps and wouldn't fly spectrum rectum if it was gave to me.just my opinion
The Spektrum rectum?
I think you better look elsewhere -
On 6volt batteries --the effective use is all but gone at 6volts.
At 5.4 volts they are dead .
A battery does not store energy like the markings noted on your sippy cup (1-2-3-4-5-6-)
Also, a 4.8 volt batt is all but gone at 4.8 volts .
This is not something peculiar to Spektrum - it is straightforward info you could have learned from Jr High school science.
Your radio will also quit, given this same circumstance .
Old 09-04-2007, 09:28 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson
A battery does not store energy like the markings noted on your sippy cup (1-2-3-4-5-6-)

LOL
Old 09-04-2007, 10:33 AM
rmh

I am looking for a good battery chart to post here --_I keep seeing comments which suggest battery voltage info is not fully (or half fully-5 on the cup) understood
Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Oddly enough it seems that in the land of Oz they will accept a device that has passed the FCC regs or the European Regs. However, here in Europe an FCC device may NOT necessarily meet the European Regs.

eg. FCC 15.247 is equivalent to EN300-440 (which isnt 300-328)

15.247 (b)(3) allows for 1W RF (4W EIRP), EN300-328 5.2.1 allows for 100mW EIRP.

So in a nutshell, you shouldnt really use an Oz (or a US ) sourced system here in Europe.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

My 9303 2.4 and Reciever has both the CE and FCC marks on it.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 PM
yakman

The gov. radio agency will allow the use of FCC and CE approved devices. BUT, will the MAAA insurance cover you? I dont think so. JMO
Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 PM
pupmeister

I have just been reading [link=http://www.maaa.asn.au/mop/policy/MOP058%20-%20Policy%202%204%20GHz%20EQUIPMENT%20-%2008%20July%202007.pdf]MOP058[/link] from the [link=http://www.maaa.asn.au/]Model Aeronautical Association of Australia[/link] website. This policy was set up to deal with 2.4GHz equipment operating in Australia. The latest version of the policy says that it is legal to use equipment without the C-Tick on it. However it then falls on you to ensure that the equipment is compliant with the Australian standards. Thus if the equipment is compliant your insurance will be valid, however if it does not comply you will not be covered by insurance.

The policy makes a recommendation but does not prescribe that only equipment with a C-Tick on it be used, because if it has a C-Tick on it you can be sure that it is compliant with all Australian standards.

I have tried to find out what the differences is between Australian, American and European standards, but I could not figure it out.

For peace of mind I would recommend that you follow the recommendations of the policy and only purcahse radio TX equipment with a C-Tick on it for use in Australia. If an accident happens that forces you to claim form the insurance policy, it would not take them a long time to find out if you were not using compliant equipment.

Cheers
Pupmeister
Old 09-05-2007, 02:54 AM
David Gower

G'day Yakman and Pupmeister

Apart from Alan0899, who I've now emailed, the only info of real use to me is from you two blokes - and both of you are Aussies too! ...
Most of the other replies were totally unrelated, and were basically concerned with an Rx battery's capacity, or lack of it - not what I really needed to know ... just chit - chat. Other than that, no-one came forward with anything about Futaba's Fasst system either, or which 2.4GHz system was best. ... [] ... although as I'd expect, most opinions would really be subjective, anyway.

I'll get onto the MAAA and see how they stand re insurance, which Allan mentioned too. Because if a set was brought in by a bloke intending to settle here - sensible feller! - then he might have to wait 'til he gets here, I suppose.
Also if 2.4GHz systems are restricted by Internal Aussie rules then they aren't really truly global, are they? They'd apparently would have to be bought in the country where they're intended to be used, hence the possible C-tick requirement for sets used in Oz.

As I understand it, if a Aussie competitive flier enters an event in the US for instance, all he has to do is get a 72MHz module to fly there, using the rest of his RC equipt bought here. Probably only the module has to comply, maybe?

BTW - I wish I hadn't ticked the email notification box now - won't do that next time. In future I'll just check any future posts I may start from time to time from the post's number, to see if I do get any useful info. like you blokes gave me!... [&o]

Regards

David.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 AM
David Gower

P.S. to my last - Re competititve flier using a 72MHz module to fly in the US. I should have noted, of course, that he'd be using regular 36MHz gear. I'm not sure how he'd go complying with their FCC regs if he were on 2.4GHz gear though!

David.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Panzlflyer

The Futaba has a single Rx while the Spektrum has two Rx modules
Alright then

The DX7 wins hands down and its nothin to do with frequency and all about its program capabilities.
2x Ailerons and 2x Elevators cabable and the 6x has a tiny useless screen.

Note I am or was a Futaba flier.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM
David Gower

Thanks for that Panzlflier

At last I have a useful opinion, and some reasons for it. From an ex Futaba flier too, and therefore unbiased I suppose.
But seriously - My main concern in the past with JR Radios that are sold here in Oz is that the Manuals supplied with them are from Horizon Hobbies in the US and are not actually for the Txs themselves. There are several differences which, for me at least make programming difficult.
I was hoping that the Manual supplied with the DX7 was totally related to its control functions, and hopefully written in more simple to understand language not assuming that an owner has prior knowledge on how programming is effected, mainly in the area of Mixing.
Basic programming is thankfully fairly simple with the two 36MHz sets I now own, which although I'm still not totally conversant as to translating the manual's language, have been programmed to suit the aircraft I fly. Thankfully not requiring complex mixing. ...[]

Rgds again

David.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Panzlflyer

Nope, manual on the DX and 9303 miss out on some faily important stuff hence the 125 page thread.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Mac_Man_UK

Virtually ALL the JR Manuals are written by Horizon based on the Japanese manual.. Obviously they are added to and geared towards their own peculiar peccadiloes.

HH are big enough to be able to do this hence the release of "pre-production" units to them and the other major distributors dotted around the world. This allows a system shakedown so that all the bugs are removed (if any) and for the guys to do the manual. On the odd occasion that HH do not take a system ( eg the PCM9X ) no manual is released except for the Japanese version. Sometimes a "bodged" manual is released such as the one by MacGregor but that was written in a rush with minimal staff to meet a deadline. With the 9XII, again the manual wasn't written by HH but this time the Australian Distributors were doing a version which became the released version.

In the UK we always try to make sure that an addendum sheet is added to the released manual to let the customer know that there are differences between the set he has just bought and the manual !!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Panzlflyer

What I dont understand is why they dont include basic stuff like dual elevators...hence the 125 page thread, and now the manual is on cd so you better have a printer or computer nearby.
The Futaba manuals are no better.